Serious Urgent Problem

January 6, 2005 11:17:02 PM

Hi,

It appears that I screwed up big time. I was supposed to be updating a
display driver ... followed instruction to remove old driver ... restarted in
Diagnostic Startup ... now I have no display and have no idea what is going
on.

Any help for a blind operator?

More about : urgent problem

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:57:13 AM

Hi

By Diagnostic Mode, do you mean Safe Mode - and haven't got any display?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"RiverRunner" <RiverRunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It appears that I screwed up big time. I was supposed to be updating a
> display driver ... followed instruction to remove old driver ... restarted
> in
> Diagnostic Startup ... now I have no display and have no idea what is
> going
> on.
>
> Any help for a blind operator?
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:22:19 PM

In MSCONFIG, one of the options is "Diagnostic Startup". That's the mode my
computer is in and I have no display. I do have a laptop with cd writing
capability. So, I could create a bootable cd with drivers on it. Just don't
know what my next step is ... where to get the right "rescue" disc ... if
that is even the right approach.

> Hi
>
> By Diagnostic Mode, do you mean Safe Mode - and haven't got any display?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "RiverRunner" <RiverRunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> It appears that I screwed up big time. I was supposed to be updating a
>> display driver ... followed instruction to remove old driver ...
>> restarted in
>> Diagnostic Startup ... now I have no display and have no idea what is
>> going
>> on.
>>
>> Any help for a blind operator?

January 7, 2005 3:46:36 PM

Hi

Yes, that is Safe Mode, but it does disable a lot of Services. Have you
tried a 'Repair' install of XP:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

"Walt" <The_Jetters@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In MSCONFIG, one of the options is "Diagnostic Startup". That's the mode
> my computer is in and I have no display. I do have a laptop with cd
> writing capability. So, I could create a bootable cd with drivers on it.
> Just don't know what my next step is ... where to get the right "rescue"
> disc ... if that is even the right approach.

>> Hi
>>
>> By Diagnostic Mode, do you mean Safe Mode - and haven't got any display?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "RiverRunner" <RiverRunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It appears that I screwed up big time. I was supposed to be updating a
>>> display driver ... followed instruction to remove old driver ...
>>> restarted in
>>> Diagnostic Startup ... now I have no display and have no idea what is
>>> going
>>> on.
>>>
>>> Any help for a blind operator?

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:34:40 AM

"RiverRunner" <RiverRunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It appears that I screwed up big time. I was supposed to be updating a
>display driver ... followed instruction to remove old driver ... restarted in
>Diagnostic Startup ... now I have no display and have no idea what is going
>on.
>
>Any help for a blind operator?

When you first turn the computer the initial screens, including the
Windows XP startup logo, are produced by hardware with no video
drivers loaded.

If you are getting nothing whatever on the display, even when you
first turn the computer on, then there is a hardware problem and not a
Windows driver problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

January 8, 2005 9:39:30 PM

Thanks for the responses. It appears that removing the ATI drivers prevented
me from getting anything at all on my monitor while hooked up to my ATI
card. Turns out that I have another monitor connection ... evidently to a
motherboard video output? (I have no other video card installed) That
monitor connection worked fine. But while fumbling around in the "dark"
(without a monitor) I did incredible damage to my system and the only thing
that could be done was to restore the computer to it's original
configuration with restore discs. Incredible what damage a few misdirected
key strokes can cause. Now ... lots of work ahead.

> "RiverRunner" <RiverRunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>It appears that I screwed up big time. I was supposed to be updating a
>>display driver ... followed instruction to remove old driver ... restarted
>>in
>>Diagnostic Startup ... now I have no display and have no idea what is
>>going
>>on.
>>
>>Any help for a blind operator?
>
> When you first turn the computer the initial screens, including the
> Windows XP startup logo, are produced by hardware with no video
> drivers loaded.
>
> If you are getting nothing whatever on the display, even when you
> first turn the computer on, then there is a hardware problem and not a
> Windows driver problem.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Your email has been assigned:
TicketGUID:{F25AB522-C029-47CB-9D96-D1C42C980BDD}

Please include the above identifier in all future correspondence
relating to this ticket. Note: The TicketGUID identifier must appear
in the message body, not in the subject line.
May 20, 2005 7:32:01 PM

I had uninstalled certain downloaded files from my desktop but accidently or
rather foolishly ran system restore.now i m not able to localise those files
to erase them secondly ifound errors majority of them coded h result was
C0000005 from line 44 of d: \qxp_slp\com\com1*\src event s\tier1\eventsystem
055.cpp
thirdly,i want to restart my computer erasing all the programes stating
from fifth may to twenty first may.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:56:21 AM

"prevaz@hotmail.com" <prevaz@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:6F697EE2-090B-455F-9A1A-D36938764AFA@microsoft.com...
> I had uninstalled certain downloaded files from my desktop but accidently
or
> rather foolishly ran system restore.now i m not able to localise those
files
> to erase them secondly ifound errors majority of them coded h result was
> C0000005 from line 44 of d: \qxp_slp\com\com1*\src event
s\tier1\eventsystem
> 055.cpp
> thirdly,i want to restart my computer erasing all the programes stating
> from fifth may to twenty first may.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:09:45 AM

Hi,

System Restore will not, and was not designed to uninstall
applications. System Restore only monitors certain system files. Any
files that were added in the install process that are not monitored
files will be left behind, as you have found out.

Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration", if it is
available. If the system was restored from the command prompt or Safe
Mode it will not be available.

Now using the add/remove programs utility in Control Panel, uninstall
any application that were installed.after the date you wish to restore
to. Then run System Restore.

If this answer is off track, please explain the problem, and what lead
up to the problem more clearly.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

prevaz@hotmail.com wrote:
> I had uninstalled certain downloaded files from my
> desktop but accidently or rather foolishly ran system
> restore.now i m not able to localise those files to erase
> them secondly ifound errors majority of them coded h
> result was C0000005 from line 44 of d:
> \qxp_slp\com\com1*\src event s\tier1\eventsystem 055.cpp
> thirdly,i want to restart my computer erasing all the
> programes stating from fifth may to twenty first may.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:00:16 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:32:01 -0700, prevaz@hotmail.com wrote:

> I had uninstalled certain downloaded files from my desktop but accidently or
> rather foolishly ran system restore.

The desktop is a folder that System Restore monitors. Not all files types,
only some are looked at and tracked. EXE files being one of those types.
Either move things that you do not want to lose from the desktop to a
personal folder (My Documents, for example) before running system restore
-or- don't store downloaded files on the desktop. Create a folder
specifically for these items such as C:\Downloads or My Documents\Downloads

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User