file transfer question

My prior computer (Win 98) no longer "recognizes the mouse" despite the
purchase of a new mouse and many technical support calls.

I need to transfer mostly data and one program onto my new XP Home.

Will the mouse problem on the old one hinder my ability to transfer my info
with a connecting cable and using file transfer wizard? Or do I mere need to
plug in the CPU and turn it on?

Lois
3 answers Last reply
More about file transfer question

    As long as your handy with navigating in Win98 using your keyboard, you
    shouldn't have a problem, Lois.

    See:

    Using WinXP's FAST Wizard, by MVP Gary Woodruff
    (Please read the caveats about Outlook Express)
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    Lois G. wrote:
    > My prior computer (Win 98) no longer "recognizes the mouse" despite the
    > purchase of a new mouse and many technical support calls.
    >
    > I need to transfer mostly data and one program onto my new XP Home.
    >
    > Will the mouse problem on the old one hinder my ability to transfer my
    > info with a connecting cable and using file transfer wizard? Or do I mere
    > need to plug in the CPU and turn it on?
    >
    > Lois

    If they are both desktop systems, it may be easier and certainly quicker, to
    install your old hard disk as a secondary drive in your new computer and do a
    disk to disk transfer.

    "Lois G." wrote:

    > My prior computer (Win 98) no longer "recognizes the mouse" despite the
    > purchase of a new mouse and many technical support calls.
    >
    > I need to transfer mostly data and one program onto my new XP Home.
    >
    > Will the mouse problem on the old one hinder my ability to transfer my info
    > with a connecting cable and using file transfer wizard? Or do I mere need to
    > plug in the CPU and turn it on?
    >
    > Lois

    Any tutorials you can refer me to on this process?

    "Mike Lloyd" <MikeLloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If they are both desktop systems, it may be easier and certainly quicker,
    > install your old hard disk as a secondary drive in your new computer and
    > do a
    > disk to disk transfer.
    >
    > "Lois G." wrote:
    >
    >> My prior computer (Win 98) no longer "recognizes the mouse" despite the
    >> purchase of a new mouse and many technical support calls.
    >>
    >> I need to transfer mostly data and one program onto my new XP Home.
    >>
    >> Will the mouse problem on the old one hinder my ability to transfer my
    >> info
    >> with a connecting cable and using file transfer wizard? Or do I mere need
    >> plug in the CPU and turn it on?
    >>
    >> Lois

Mice File Transfer Windows XP