confused about nforce 2

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I went to buy my motherboard today, and I expected that all nforce2 mobos had onboard GeForce2, I thought that was the whole idea of nVidia making mobo chipsets. I',m confused, can anyone explainm please.

Thanks for your time.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
There are 2 tipes of nvidia nforce2 northbridges: The SPP (w/o video) and IGP (w/ video).
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20020716/index.html" target="_new">Here </A>you can find more info:

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah you don't need to get built in graphics if you don't want... but remember 2 screens are better than one for some things ;) Aslong as you have the desk space...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
the answer to your question is this...the nforce chipset is a dual channel DDR chipset which effectively doubles your bus width to 256bit and memory bandwidth to 4.3GBps, which is equal to your CPU output of 4.3GBps....there is another version of the chipset that includes the geforce onboard but its a POS compared to the new 8xAGP cards out there, dont get it, AGP 8x which is 2.1GBps is a god.

Xeen

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That was the original idea of nVidia making chipsets, back when they first started. They already had a PC chipset in the X-Box platform, they adapted their knowledge to an AMD chipset and the nForce was born. But nVidia realized that the performance market would not accept onboard video, so they also made a chipset without it. Both sold well.

nVidia had to update their chipset to keep up with technology, so the nForce2 was released. It also is available in both versions.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks guys, I finally understand. I couldn't believe what I got myself into, I was at the shop just assumed that the guy didn't know what he was talking about and I was going on and on about how the nForce has graphics onboard etc.

I told him you've got to know what you're selling.

I felt like a complete tit afterwards, and very confused when I found no video connector on the back!

Cheers.

Don't extract the urine.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Cheers, I would beat you up for saying that but you've helped too many people out on this forum including myself so I'll let you off.

Don't extract the urine.