john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

When you add (install) software under a particular user under windows XP Home
edition... How do you control what other users may get or not get (as far as
program access placement of shortcuts etc).

Somebody told me I must log on as administrator, but I do not understand
this and feel they may be speaking of how to do it on another OS like XP Pro?

My account type is Adminisrator (vs. limited). Is this the same as logging
in as the administrator??? I'm just plain lost here.

Blessings
John

Hi John,

> My account type is Adminisrator (vs. limited). Is this the same as
> logging
> in as the administrator??? I'm just plain lost here.>
If you are logging in as Administrator, then you probably are one.
If you are logging in as John, but are listed as an Administrator, you are
also an Administrator, even if you are John.

To make a little more sense of it, go to Control Panel--->User Accounts, and
you can see who the usual users are, and if the accounts are Admin or
Limited.
Most times, you can really do all you need as a Limited user, and you may
wish tot have two accounts, one for normal/limited use; and the other for
times when you need to be acting as Admin to install pieces.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP