Asus a7n8x deluxe couple of questions

tahlsr

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
I have a couple of questions about the sound on this mobo before I buy it.

1.) Where is the decoding done (for DTS, Dolby Digital) do I need to get a receiver? do some speaker systems have decoding? what is the best computer 5.1 speaker system for under 500 bucks that will include this decoding?

2.) I know that current dvd drives have a digital out on the back of them so that you can avoid analog. I don't think the a7n8x mobo has a header on the mobo to accept this input so it can go out the spdif. I only see two stereo inputs on the header. Is this right? Is there no way to play a dvd true 5.1 with this mobo?

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Regarding the decoding,that is done on the southbridge chip. The best source of information for Nforce sound (no disrespect to Tom's)is the nforcershq web site. That site is dedicated to all boards with the nforce chipset. They have a forum dedicated to audio issues and the info there is very detailed. I have this board and I love it but there are some things that drive me crazy so look at everything before you decide to buy. Good Luck.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly W 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
Ge Force2/WD 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
From my understanding the decoding is not done on the board but in a receiver. These things cost some serious cash if you want good stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about it since you will need good speakers anyway to make ti any worth your while, plus the fact that your looking at this on a small crt sorta kills the ambience.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!