Reduction of taskbar icon size forces title bar, caption b..

January 7, 2005 11:53:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers, alt.os.windows-xp, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

REDUCING SIZE OF QUICK-LAUNCH & START ICONS SIMULTANEOUSLY CAUSES
REDUCTION IN WINDOWS TITLE BAR & CAPTION BUTTON SIZE

TWEAKING PROGRAMS AND CODES OUT THERE SEEM UNABLE TO RESOLVE THIS
PROBLEM

The size of the quicklaunch and start icons, is tied to the size set
for the window title bars and caption buttons (rt click desktop,
properties, appearance, advanced). Increasing title bar size increases
caption button size and vice versa.

Right clicking the start bar or the quicklaunch bar followed by
view-small icons only succeeds in bringing the icons in those bars down
to a size approximately equal to the sizes set for the title bars and
the caption buttons.

This despite the fact, that there are sane persons who want large
caption buttons and/or title bars in their windows, combined with small
icons in the quicklaunch and start bars.

Large caption buttons speed up minimization, maximization, closing, and
restoration of windows; large title bars make it easier to drag windows
hither and thither. Such tasks are less fatiguing to the eye hand and
brain when the title bars and caption buttons are large.

At the same time, large icons in the start and quick-launch bars can be
undesirable, because as a result, the number of icons visible at first
glance in these bars, without having to bother with hitting arrows to
render additional hidden portions of such bars visible, is limited.
Such limitation is an inconvenience, because the only icons in place on
a user's desktop and accessible before anything is clicked, are those
in the quicklanch bars, and those on the desktop, which is usually
covered with windows (icons in the start bar can be accessed by one
click on the windows key or start icon).

This would be less of a problem if users had more ability to
effectively customize right click context menus
in XP.

AS OF NOW ATTEMPTS TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM APPEAR INADEQUATE

Someone on the web wrote about a registry fix he came up with for
quicklaunch icon size, but his fix apparently did not transcend the
problem of caption button and title bar sizes on the one hand and
quicklaunch icon sizes on the other being tied together, as a result of
which, his registry fix that reduced quicklaunch icon size
simultaneously reduced the caption button and title bar sizes.

The tweaking applications that I have looked at so far, TweakUI by
Microsoft itself and X-setup pro, do not so far as I can tell, provide
a way to set quick-launch and start icon sizes independently of title
bar and caption button sizes.
-------

David Virgil Hobbs
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/vincemoon
January 8, 2005 2:07:26 AM

Line 97: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

<vincemoon@rcn.com> wrote in message
> REDUCING SIZE OF QUICK-LAUNCH & START ICONS SIMULTANEOUSLY CAUSES
> REDUCTION IN WINDOWS TITLE BAR & CAPTION BUTTON SIZE
>
> TWEAKING PROGRAMS AND CODES OUT THERE SEEM UNABLE TO RESOLVE THIS
> PROBLEM
>
> The size of the quicklaunch and start icons, is tied to the size set
> for the window title bars and caption buttons (rt click desktop,
> properties, appearance, advanced). Increasing title bar size increases
> caption button size and vice versa.
>
> Right clicking the start bar or the quicklaunch bar followed by
> view-small icons only succeeds in bringing the icons in those bars down
> to a size approximately equal to the sizes set for the title bars and
> the caption buttons.
>
> This despite the fact, that there are sane persons who want large
> caption buttons and/or title bars in their windows, combined with small
> icons in the quicklaunch and start bars.
>
> Large caption buttons speed up minimization, maximization, closing, and
> restoration of windows; large title bars make it easier to drag windows
> hither and thither. Such tasks are less fatiguing to the eye hand and
> brain when the title bars and caption buttons are large.
>
> At the same time, large icons in the start and quick-launch bars can be
> undesirable, because as a result, the number of icons visible at first
> glance in these bars, without having to bother with hitting arrows to
> render additional hidden portions of such bars visible, is limited.
> Such limitation is an inconvenience, because the only icons in place on
> a user's desktop and accessible before anything is clicked, are those
> in the quicklanch bars, and those on the desktop, which is usually
> covered with windows (icons in the start bar can be accessed by one
> click on the windows key or start icon).
>
> This would be less of a problem if users had more ability to
> effectively customize right click context menus
> in XP.
>
> AS OF NOW ATTEMPTS TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM APPEAR INADEQUATE
>
> Someone on the web wrote about a registry fix he came up with for
> quicklaunch icon size, but his fix apparently did not transcend the
> problem of caption button and title bar sizes on the one hand and
> quicklaunch icon sizes on the other being tied together, as a result of
> which, his registry fix that reduced quicklaunch icon size
> simultaneously reduced the caption button and title bar sizes.
>
> The tweaking applications that I have looked at so far, TweakUI by
> Microsoft itself and X-setup pro, do not so far as I can tell, provide
> a way to set quick-launch and start icon sizes independently of title
> bar and caption button sizes.
> -------
>

> David Virgil Hobbs
> http://www.angelfire.com/ma/vincemoon

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:01:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers, alt.os.windows-xp, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

As you said I downloaded
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbaricons... . This had
no noticeable effect on the quicklaunch icons. It had not control over
the size of the quicklaunch icons. Upon restart there was a long blue
screen delay, that ran chkdsk or something like that. After restart the
first icon I clicked in the quicklaunch did not respond quickly. A
restart is alot of time to take out when you dont even know to what
size the icon will be reduced.
!