Formatting the C drive

January 8, 2005 5:49:03 AM

I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need to
format and re-install the C drive.

Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?

Thanks a lot, Marlies

More about : formatting drive

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:05:31 AM

On 08/01/2005 Marlies wrote:

> I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need
> to format and re-install the C drive.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks a lot, Marlies

1) Get hold of some anti virus software, Spybot Search and Destroy and
some firewall software (you can use the XP firewall that comes with SP2
but commercial firewalls have additional features). Make sure you have
XP SP2 available, on CD preferably.

2) Backup any data you want to keep, a format will lose everything
beyond recovery (except perhaps for a forensic scientist).

3) If you have an 'always on' connection to the Internet turn the
router/modem off or remove the cable connection to the PC.

4) Boot from the XP CD and in one of the early screens you will get an
option to format the C drive. If you do have a lot of spyware perhaps
go for the full format rather than the quick format, it takes longer
but is more thorough.

5) Follow the on screen messages and re-install.

6) Do NOT connect to the Internet yet!!!

7) Install XP SP2, you will need to re-boot.

8) Install your chosen firewall, anti virus and Spybot.

9) Connect to the Internet and update your chosen firewall, anti virus
and Spybot.

10) Run a complete system scan with your anti virus program and
Spybot(this is especially important if you have more than one hard
drive).

11) Make a note to update XP, your anti virus program and Spybot
regularly and to run scans regularly (once a week).

12) Be prepared to start at (1) again regularly if you don't do (11)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Marlies wrote:
> I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need to
> format and re-install the C drive.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks a lot, Marlies

Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll
probably get the job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always
unnecessary.

However, if that's what you want to do:

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
January 8, 2005 2:40:47 PM

Hi

What you done so far to eliminate the viruses/spyware? Which particular
virus(es) have infected your system? Formatting and re-installing is a last
gasp solution.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Marlies" <Marlies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need to
> format and re-install the C drive.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks a lot, Marlies
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:53:09 PM

Often the fastest way to deal with problems created by viruses and spyware
is to bite the bullet and do a fresh install. You can learn how to do that
here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

Just as with human infections protection is 99% of the "cure".
Read through the info here http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Marlies" <Marlies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need to
> format and re-install the C drive.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks a lot, Marlies
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:22:50 PM

You don't!

You boot up from the Windows XP retail CD or O.E.M. CD and delete partition,
create/format partition from there.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Marlies" <Marlies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need to
> format and re-install the C drive.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks a lot, Marlies
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 10:01:58 PM

Reformatting the hard disk is the last thing to consider after trying to
remove the virus and spyware threats.

Before reformatting, sit back have a cup of tea and consider your options
and remember that EVERYTHING IS LOST!

If this is the only option and before reformatting make sure you have copied
every file you may want onto, say, CD. This includes not only the obvious
My documents, Marlies (or wherever you keep your personal files) but also
backup catalogues, emails, faxes and the Windows Address Book (often things
that are used everyday, taken for granted and forgotten - until it's lost
for good). You also need to make sure that you have all the hardware driver
etc. (e.g. motherboard, monitor, printer, scanner) and all the software CDs.
Make a list (running order) of all the actions things that you need to do
(this will ensure that the process is well thought out before starting and
avoids the "if only I'd thought of that" moments.

Only when everything is in place should you start the reformat, software
re-build (and hope that it'll be all OK)

But, in some respects, that is the easiest part of the process. You will
now have to remember how the heck all the software was configured and it may
be several weeks before everything is working really smoothly again.

I would strongly suggest you install anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewall
software. It is a sad reflection on the computing fraternity that some
talented people turn their minds to destroying the lives of others.

Good luck!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions
"Marlies" <Marlies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of virus and spy ware problems on my computer, so I need to
> format and re-install the C drive.
>
> Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks a lot, Marlies
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:24:48 PM

Reformatting the hard disk should be considered an action of last resort if,
for instance, virus and spyware threats have caused irreparable damage.

Before reformatting, sit back have a cup of tea and consider your options
and remember that EVERYTHING IS LOST!

If this is the only option and before reformatting make sure you have copied
every file you may want onto, say, CD. This includes not only the obvious
My documents (or wherever you keep your personal files) but also backup
catalogues, emails, faxes and the Windows Address Book (often things that
are used everyday, taken for granted and forgotten - until it's lost for
good).

You also need to make sure that you have all the hardware driver etc. (e.g.
motherboard, monitor, printer, scanner) and all the software CDs Make a list
(running order) of all the actions things that you need to do (this will
ensure that the process is well thought out before starting and avoids the
"if only I'd thought of that" moments.

You also need to set aside several hours to do the job. Installing Windows,
antispyware, antivirus anti intrusion software and other software may take
several hours end to end but needs sporadic attention. Similarly, updating
all your software may take a long time - although sporadic attention. By
the
way, it is recommended that, after installing Windows, you install and
update all your protection before doing anything else on the internet.

!