Config 'flushdns?'

Occasionally a friend has an e-mail returned that was sent to me and MSN says
it might be due to the fact I have a firewall installed. To test this
theory, they suggested doing 'start-run-cmd-ok' and then entering IP
config/flushdns/ Is this something safe to do? I've gotten into situations
before trying something that MSN Help has suggested.
6 answers Last reply
More about config flushdns

    its safe. It's: ipconfig /flushdns (notice the space)
    Tom

    Bobby Jones wrote:
    > Occasionally a friend has an e-mail returned that was sent to me and
    > MSN says it might be due to the fact I have a firewall installed. To
    > test this theory, they suggested doing 'start-run-cmd-ok' and then
    > entering IP config/flushdns/ Is this something safe to do? I've
    > gotten into situations before trying something that MSN Help has
    > suggested.

    ipconfig /flushdns
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    That command is safe. It purges the DNS Resolver cache. It will rebuild.
    If it doesn't, you've got some serious issues you need to resolve anyway.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    The ipconfig /flushdns won't cause any harm but is unlikely to resolve the
    problem. Frankly, it sounds like complete nonsense. If there were a dns
    problem you would be having more issues than one friend's email. What does
    the returned mail show as the reason for delivery failure? Is it only this
    one person who has the problem with mail sent to you? Do you have problems
    with Internet access and sending email?
    --

    "Bobby Jones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Occasionally a friend has an e-mail returned that was sent to me and MSN
    > says
    > it might be due to the fact I have a firewall installed. To test this
    > theory, they suggested doing 'start-run-cmd-ok' and then entering IP
    > config/flushdns/ Is this something safe to do? I've gotten into
    > situations
    > before trying something that MSN Help has suggested.

    It's only one person that occasionally has this problem. I don't have any
    problems myself sending or receiving, or any other problems. Her error
    mesages are 'unable to relay' and 'system does not like recipient.' She uses
    Juno for e-mail and internet access. Since it only happens maybe once in a
    hundred times I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. Thanks for quick replies.

    "GTS" wrote:

    > The ipconfig /flushdns won't cause any harm but is unlikely to resolve the
    > problem. Frankly, it sounds like complete nonsense. If there were a dns
    > problem you would be having more issues than one friend's email. What does
    > the returned mail show as the reason for delivery failure? Is it only this
    > one person who has the problem with mail sent to you? Do you have problems
    > with Internet access and sending email?
    > --
    >
    > "Bobby Jones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Occasionally a friend has an e-mail returned that was sent to me and MSN
    > > says
    > > it might be due to the fact I have a firewall installed. To test this
    > > theory, they suggested doing 'start-run-cmd-ok' and then entering IP
    > > config/flushdns/ Is this something safe to do? I've gotten into
    > > situations
    > > before trying something that MSN Help has suggested.

    Your welcome. Clearly there's no dns issue. It sounds like an occasional
    Juno glitch and, as you note, probably not worth worrying about.
    --

    > It's only one person that occasionally has this problem. I don't have any
    > problems myself sending or receiving, or any other problems. Her error
    > mesages are 'unable to relay' and 'system does not like recipient.' She
    > uses
    > Juno for e-mail and internet access. Since it only happens maybe once in
    > hundred times I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. Thanks for quick
    > replies.
    >
    > "GTS" wrote:
    >
    >> The ipconfig /flushdns won't cause any harm but is unlikely to resolve
    >> the
    >> problem. Frankly, it sounds like complete nonsense. If there were a dns
    >> problem you would be having more issues than one friend's email. What
    >> does
    >> the returned mail show as the reason for delivery failure? Is it only
    >> this
    >> one person who has the problem with mail sent to you? Do you have
    >> problems
    >> with Internet access and sending email?
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Bobby Jones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Occasionally a friend has an e-mail returned that was sent to me and
    >> > MSN
    >> > says
    >> > it might be due to the fact I have a firewall installed. To test this
    >> > theory, they suggested doing 'start-run-cmd-ok' and then entering IP
    >> > config/flushdns/ Is this something safe to do? I've gotten into
    >> > situations
    >> > before trying something that MSN Help has suggested.

    "Bobby Jones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Occasionally a friend has an e-mail returned that was sent to me and
    > MSN says
    > it might be due to the fact I have a firewall installed. To test this
    > theory, they suggested doing 'start-run-cmd-ok' and then entering IP
    > config/flushdns/ Is this something safe to do? I've gotten into
    > situations
    > before trying something that MSN Help has suggested.

    You never can return your friend's e-mail. Only your mail server can do
    that and it unlikely that you operate your own mail server but instead
    use the mail server provided by your ISP (internet service provider).
    Only your ISP's mail server can refuse delivery of your friend's e-mail.
    All you can do is send a wholly new message to your friend. Just
    because it has some content from your friend's e-mail has nothing to do
    with YOU authoring a completely new message to send using your ISP's
    mail server.

    Your friend needs to provide more information to you or do their own
    research for help. The bounced e-mail will have information regarding
    why the e-mail was rejected.

    From your other post in this thread, it sounds like your friend is
    accessing a mail server that is NOT on the network they use to connect
    to the Internet; i.e., they are using a mail server that is off-domain
    of their ISP. Tell your friend to configure their e-mail client to
    authenticate to the mail server.

    E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

MSN Configuration Windows XP