Gaming Problem

maxwku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 computer, a 2.8GHz, 762MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, and an Nvidia 5200 FX graphics card. I recently bought and installed a new game, Medieval 2 Total War. And I’m running into some very annoying problems. When playing the game I scroll to a certain section of the mad the game freezes, then after 20 seconds the screen refreshes (in a weird way) and the game returns to normal. If I move away from that area the game runs normal, but if I stay in the area then the game keeps freezing and refreshing (to a point I cant make any moves). A few times the game has crashed and a blue screen shows up (nv4_disp.dll error) saying it was stuck in an infinite loop, and then something about a memory dump. I googled the error (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4432) installed a patch but no fix. It has since then crashed once with the same error and it still freezes in certain spots on the map. I have spent 3 days googling and trying to find a solution, but there are so many suggestions where do I start. I’m ready with some guidance to start ruling out things one step at a time. Please some one help me, any suggestions are welcome.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have tried later video driver? Make sure you fully remove older driver. Defrag your hard drive. Your graphics card is old, but should be OK. An upgrade to 1 Gb RAM might help. Download and run Memtest86+ to test your memory. Check free disk space.

Mike.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
The error relates to low RAM, do you close down background applications eg virus checkers before you play?
With such a low amount of RAM its wise to limit bloatware as much as poss.

When choosing a game, never go by the Minimum specs as they are almost always wrong. The recommended specs for this title are:

Pentium 4® 2.4GHz (2400MHz) or equivalent AMD® Athlon 64 or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 9000 MB
Other: 128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 2 support
and the latest drivers. Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c
compatible*. The Nvidia® GeForce 7300 or greater, or the
ATI Radeon® X1600 or greater is recommended.

So you are lacking on RAM and GPU.
If you can post your motherboard and a budget we can suggest some upgrades.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
update the game. the stock version that shipped had lots and lots of memory leaks. and an fx5200 is so so underpowered for that game. you're missing tons of eyecandy. you can never recreate that experience of swords busting shields unless you watch braveheart again.

maxwku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I have tried installing the newest drivers from Nvidia, but it ended up not working well. My screen changed to some weird scrambled colors. I had to start it back up in safe mode with networking to delete the driver and install an older one.

I have no virus Checkers going on this computer, I got this computer from in-laws. I wiped the hard drive, reinstalled Windows XP, updated all the drivers off the dell website and installed the game. That game, Microsoft word, and internet explorer is all that is on the computer.

*Do you suggest I turn the off firewall?

*I will upgrade RAM to 1Gb and see if that fixes anything.

*How can I update the game? Do you mean to install patches for it?

*Does any one have any suggestion on a video card compatible with my computer? A lot of the cool GPU card on new egg won’t work with my system because I have DDR ram.

TRENDING THREADS