Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Serious problems with GTA4 on PC. Please help !!!!!

Last response: in Video Games
December 16, 2008 7:17:34 PM

Hi,

When I install GTA 4 on my PC and start a new game, all the graphics are messed up! You can't see anything of Liberty City because everything is transperant, apart from the lights of cars and the lighted windows in the skyscrapers. Something is really wrong but I don't know were to start to get it solved. Maybe it has something to do with my system. These are my specs:

Q6600 @ 2.88
Asus Striker Extreme 680i
GTX 280
22" monitor
2 GB Corsair DDR2 800
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Windows XP PRO SP3 (updated from SP2)

If anyone has encoutered the same problems or knows what to do about this, please don't hesitate to post. I've payed enough for this game and I like to play it asap.

Thanks

More about : problems gta4

December 16, 2008 7:55:57 PM

I have not had those problems. However, make sure you have the MS .NET Framework 3.5 installed as well as the Nvidia v180.84 Drivers.

Also, have you applied the latest patch for the game?
http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index....

A note of caution. I updated to the latest patch. That caused me to get a Fatal Error that made me reinstall the game. Once I did that and reapplied the patch the game runs better in my opinion. That might or might not happen to you but it might fix your problem.
December 16, 2008 8:46:09 PM

Ah the all so common texture bug... yes there are a lot of people out there that has the same problem.

The texture bug comes in two flavors, one it's there from the start which can be fixed by a couple of ways. Basically it can be something as simply as corrupt graphic drivers.. read more about the solutions here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...

Then you have the second variant which is textures disappearing after a while which most of us experiencing this, think is caused by:

1) memory leak
2) the vram/ram being flooded with texture data, so new textures cannot be saved to the memory as it's already filled with old ones, causing the textures to vanish more and more as time goes, regardless of graphical settings.

This later issue can be fixed with a program that constantly free up memory and the cache. But as this are third party applications they have proved to cause lag and uneven play experience. Hopefully Rockstar games will acknowledge this issue, and come up wiht a fix, opposed to what they are doing now with just hiding it under the rug saying there is no such issue... this issue has also been reported to affect XP 64 bit more than any other OS version.
Related resources
December 16, 2008 9:28:06 PM

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies. I'll try all these fixes. Maybe I wouldn't be a bad idea to get some extra RAM too?
December 17, 2008 9:07:25 AM

Hey, when I looked in the add/remove programs application in control panel, I saw there were two versions of .NET Framework installed. It seems that if you install a newer version, the older one is still kept. Should I uninstall older versions first, before installing the newest one?
December 17, 2008 10:12:39 AM

I would say yes. It is useless to keep the old one, and it may even mess up things. Also make sure to update your graphic drive. If that will not help, give a try to an older. This also helps sometimes. I had graphic issues as well, installed an older driver and everything works great now.
December 17, 2008 5:05:22 PM

Nvidia and ATI have released new beta drivers, that are made to get GTA IV to work better and adress some known issues with a couple of cards. You find the link in the rockstar club thingy in news.

Check first that your card are in them.
December 17, 2008 5:56:28 PM

I have installed forceware 180.84 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Even with all settings on lowest, so it uses as less ram as possible, i still don't see any textures. The patch made it even worse because the game didn't start anymore. Had to reinstall it.
December 29, 2008 1:51:30 AM

I had the same problem but solved it.
I had 1 gb ram wile the problem was in progress
So i upgraged my ram to 2GB ram and the problem went away

my system
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2x 4400+(2.3ghz dule core)
RAM: 2 GB GeForce 8400gs 512mb

hope this works for you like it did for me
February 7, 2009 12:52:07 PM

I have another kind of problem.

The screen keeps dancing and when i sit in the car it acclerates by itself and there is smoke comming out of the car.

What to do?

The screen keeps swaying even in the cenamatics of the game.
February 7, 2009 12:57:27 PM

By the way I have a P4 q6600 2.4 Ghz Quad core processor
4gb ram
Geforce 8800gts with i think 256 mb.

April 11, 2009 11:19:35 AM

guys,

I have problem with gta iv's speed..is slow..i bought the game and sticks

my specs:

windows vista SP 1
CORE DUO 2.2 GHz
nvidia GETFORCE 8500 GT
4 gb RaM

pls help me i don't know what to do. I'm so sad. How must be the graphics ( in gta 4 )in order to play it? HELP PLS..!!!
April 11, 2009 12:57:24 PM

georgeg3 said:
guys,

I have problem with gta iv's speed..is slow..i bought the game and sticks

my specs:

windows vista SP 1
CORE DUO 2.2 GHz
nvidia GETFORCE 8500 GT
4 gb RaM

pls help me i don't know what to do. I'm so sad. How must be the graphics ( in gta 4 )in order to play it? HELP PLS..!!!

If it's slow then reduce the settings to minimum i.e. all of them as low as they can go then increase it steadily until the game slows down then know them back a bit.

Don't expect a lot though, the game loves quad core CPU's and your is dual core and a slow dual core at that (perhaps you might want to overclock your CPU if that possible) and your video card is crap (sorry but I want to drill that home to you) and should consider upgrading it to something half decent like a 9600 GSO or HD 4670.
April 11, 2009 1:59:57 PM

okey my friend i'll do everything you said..!!
April 12, 2009 12:08:34 PM

hey i did everything you told me..now it's a bit faster but not good to play and enjoy it. today i went to control panel/windows update ans i found 5 new . one of the is for my graphics card..now i'm istalling all of them..this update for my graphics card is it important for the game?? will the update make the game run faster??
April 13, 2009 12:21:15 AM

you wont get anything close to decent performance outta a 8500gt on GTA4, no matter how many updates you apply!
Anonymous
September 14, 2009 5:32:02 PM

georgeg3 said:
okey my friend i'll do everything you said..!!

please tell me how to use a condom
February 21, 2010 9:45:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!