Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best strategy (RTS)

Last response: in Video Games
December 16, 2008 8:48:34 PM

So yeah,
I want to find the most strategic RTS game out there.
Company of Heroes is pretty advanced. Is there anything else out there?

Cheers,

More about : strategy rts

December 17, 2008 1:30:58 AM

Starcraft. :)  I still have fun playing it despite the old graphics because it's just so dang satisfying to use marines...
December 17, 2008 2:51:30 AM

Heya,

+1 to Starcraft.

Cheers,
Related resources
December 17, 2008 2:55:32 AM

+1 Starcraft
It's probably the most balanced RTS out there and still has a very strong online community. You get used to the old graphics.
December 17, 2008 7:02:11 AM

Starcraft, or Warcraft 3 if you prefer dragons.
December 17, 2008 7:24:16 AM

AoE2 was good.
December 17, 2008 10:24:04 AM

Starcraft, C&C RA or TS (I loved both), or Homeworld Cataclysm. If I had to choose one, it'd be SC.
December 17, 2008 2:18:03 PM

Not starcraft or warcraft for me. I've always prefered C&C games. Actually that brings me to me closet favorite, I still really enjoy LOTR Battle for middle earth 2. I know most people really didn't like it but it's my favorite RTS game. I also spent tons of time on Red Alert 2.

Now I go and put that truth back into the closet and never bring it out again.
December 17, 2008 2:34:23 PM

Hands down Starcraft I played that game heavly for 5 years strait and i still ply it occasionly
AOE2 is another good one
The Command and Conquer series is okay but noothing comapred to starcraft
They haven't really come out with anything to beat starcraft, which is sad its been ten years, but maybe starcraft 2 will beat it if they stop delaying it(I look every other day to see if they changed anything)
December 17, 2008 2:42:21 PM

bruce555, bfme is a fine game ive been playing through the campaigns for a few months now. Not quite good enough to hook me in but i do return to it a lot.
December 17, 2008 3:11:12 PM

I haven't played it, but I hear Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty good.
Also, have you looked at Supreme Commander? I'm not sure if it's tactical enough.
If you're after depth, try the Total War series.
I also second the Homeworld suggestion mentioned above.
December 17, 2008 3:44:28 PM

check supreme commander - its vastly underrated in my view (because no one's computer could run it when it came out) - and its pretty massive
December 17, 2008 6:16:06 PM

quinntheskamo said:
Hands down Starcraft I played that game heavly for 5 years strait and i still ply it occasionly
AOE2 is another good one
The Command and Conquer series is okay but noothing comapred to starcraft
They haven't really come out with anything to beat starcraft, which is sad its been ten years, but maybe starcraft 2 will beat it if they stop delaying it(I look every other day to see if they changed anything)

C&C 1 was my first computer computer game for my pentium 1 133 so I do have a bias to it being you couldn't pull me away from the computer with that game when I was young.
December 17, 2008 6:54:17 PM

Eh, while I enjoy the classics, most of them don't hold up.

Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War
World in Conflict
Sins of a Solar Empire (does SoaSE count as a RTS, 4x, or both?)

Haven't tried any others recently, but those are the best I've seen.
December 17, 2008 7:50:48 PM

psycoshot said:
So yeah,

Cheers,

Supreme commander and the expansion pack. 1000 unit battles ftw!
December 17, 2008 7:52:30 PM

STAR CRAFT 2 FTW
December 20, 2008 12:33:29 AM

40K is the best newish strategy game, I'd say... But nothing holds a candle to Starcraft still... And this is coming from someone who prefers medieval high fantasy any day of the week over sci-fi.

The problem, I believe, is that game companies are trying too hard to make complex war games, and the complexity just ruins the balance and the ability to actually just enjoy the game. I think, other than 40k, the last game that didn't try to overcomplicate things was Battle Realms.

Starcraft and Warcraft were and are still the best because they're challenging, but intuitive. There's not a ton of micromanaging going on, and you don't have to juggle 10 different resources like in games like AoE and the insanely complex space games.
December 20, 2008 12:27:41 PM

From the new ones I'd choose only these three:

Ground Control II
- multiplayer is fun

UFO: Extraterrestrials
- great recent remake of the original XCom: UFO (turn-based combat)

Navy Field
- not really RTS, but a MMO real-time tactical simulation game
December 22, 2008 6:23:14 PM

Starcraft 2 of course, and +1 to Morton for Ground Control 2.
For bargain bin choices, any of the Close Combat series, and Master of Orion 1 & 2 (not 3).
December 23, 2008 8:01:10 AM

psycoshot said:
So yeah,

Cheers,

If you want the BEST in RTS gaming get either Medieval: Total War, Rome: Total War or Medieval 2: Total War, honestly nothing else comes even close to Total War games in terms of tactical warfare, positioning, geography and weather all make a huge difference to the outcome of a battle just like it does in real life.

I had a look on Play.com (the biggest UK online retailer for video games) and the up and coming Empire: Total War is taking more pre orders then ‘Starcraft’ which IMO is little more then a Sci-Fi C&C clone. I’m sure it’s better then C&C but lets face it Starcraft hardly pushes the boundaries of RTS games like Total War does.
December 23, 2008 8:15:48 AM

JeanLuc said:
‘Starcraft’ which IMO is little more then a Sci-Fi C&C clone.

:non: 
December 23, 2008 3:45:16 PM

JeanLuc said:
I had a look on Play.com (the biggest UK online retailer for video games) and the up and coming Empire: Total War is taking more pre orders then ‘Starcraft’ which IMO is little more then a Sci-Fi C&C clone. I’m sure it’s better then C&C but lets face it Starcraft hardly pushes the boundaries of RTS games like Total War does.

Of course Empire: Total War is taking more pre-orders, it actually HAS a release date, March 2009. Starcraft 2 is slated to be released in 2009, but we all know how much Blizzard fine tunes gameplay balance. I'm sure SC2 will go gold shortly after a release date is given.
December 23, 2008 4:06:34 PM

Should also note for the OP, Total War is Turn based and real time.
December 23, 2008 4:52:25 PM

Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and The Total War series are probably the most strategic RTS games I have played (the total war games are turn based on a large map but with real time tactical battles).

I really like the C&C games and warcraft and Starcraft but I don't find them as strategic, as simple swarm tactics are often the most effective strategy, and they don't reward you for using cover and ambushes or flanking attacks like CoH and the total war games do, that said Starcraft and the C&C games are still classics with a timless quality to them and I still enjoy playing them today. And as previously stated by several people Starcraft has some of the best balanced units in any game I've played, and I would recomend it to anyone who likes RTS games and has not yet played it.
December 23, 2008 7:31:04 PM

Total Annihilation

EOT
December 24, 2008 7:55:26 PM

pr2thej said:
:non: 

I knew my comments wouldn't go down well with some of you but I stand by what I said, the real time battles in Total War are just in a different league to what games like Starcraft can offer. When I first started playing RTS games I always thought developers of these types of games were always aiming to get the genre to the level of intricate detail that Total War offers.
December 25, 2008 4:13:09 AM

Really depends on what kind of game you're looking for, I think. I played a little bit of Total War and didn't like it at all - for me the appeal of Starcraft is how utterly simple it is with each of the units' abilities, and yet the way they each complement each other is outstanding. Also I've always been more of a fan of close-up units. I'd rather control like 20 units effectively than try to manage hundreds of units. Warcraft 3 was heavy on the micro...I just didn't like how long it took for units to die.

Oh well, the C&C series is decent, loved RA2 but I think RA3 is a little disappointing. Anyone ever played "Armies of Exigo?" It's like the most blatant rip-off of any video game (WC3 in this case) that I've ever seen/played.
December 25, 2008 12:50:56 PM

Oh and I guess we should, in "memory" of Rob Wright, mention Company of Heroes, because it definitely was a good strategy game. I think on numerous occasions he mentioned that game in ST and here on the forums because he loved it so much. I'm more of a "collect resources, build base, build army, destroy enemy" guy than I am a tactics guy, but that game was still a lot of fun.
December 25, 2008 6:39:08 PM

Company of Heroes is the best RTS out there, no question. You really can't go wrong with CnC either, they're all very fun. Get the first decade (collection of all the originals) over CnC3 or RA3. Tiberian Sun is my favorite out of all of them. As stated earlier, I'm a little biased because the first game I ever played was Dune 2000 (grandfather of CnC), but who cares they're still fun.
December 26, 2008 5:35:45 PM

IMO, if you want RTS StarCraft is the only game worth playing. If you want more strategy you should try a turn based game like civilization.
January 6, 2009 8:59:29 AM

empires dawn of the modern world for online play, emprie earth 1 for missions.
January 8, 2009 6:26:07 PM

RTS: Starcraft, Age of Empires 1

Turn Based: Railrood Tycoon 1, Master of Orion 2, Galatic Civilizations 2, Civilization 4 CTP (requiring Warlords expansion), Civilization: Call to Power 1 (yes, the Activision ripoff...I liked it)

(Been too long for play time, but good memories playing): Imperium Galatica
--------------
I've been playing games too long I believe... I have the opinion that "the older games were much better."
January 8, 2009 6:39:09 PM

mcmonsterkill said:
IMO, if you want RTS StarCraft is the only game worth playing. If you want more strategy you should try a turn based game like civilization.

or he could try a blend of both, total war games.
January 8, 2009 7:41:49 PM

Civ 4, Total Annihilation, Starcraft or Warcraft... :) 
January 12, 2009 8:28:29 PM

I love World in Conflict, Medeval Total War, and Lord of the Rings II Conquest.
January 14, 2009 8:53:19 PM

My personal favorite RTS remains StarCraft. Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War is pretty nice as well, as is Age of Empires 2, but I still feel that neither came out as well as StarCraft did. I guess I've not played all that much Supreme Commander, so I'll withhold my opinion on that, though I'll admit I wasn't exactly impressed by its spiritual predecessor, Total Annihilation, so I guess my opinion might be a tad tainted. Sins of a Solar Empire, though... I kinda liked the idea on paper, but IMO, it's far too slow and tedious for an RTS. If I wanted 4X scale, I'd play a 4X game. (and yes, I play a lot of 4X titles; I'm a long-time fan of both the original Master of Orion and Master of Magic)
JeanLuc said:

Two problems here:
  • StarCraft is as much a Command & Conquer clone as C&C is a Dune clone. Also, WarCraft: Humans & Orcs, pre-dated the entire Command & Conquer series.
  • The Total War games are NOT RTS titles. They are Real-Time TACTICS titles. There is no actual strategy involved in the real-time portions; in the TW games, you have the turn-based parts outside of battle, which are strategic in scale, while the real-time battles are the tactical portion. I will agree it does this very well, but again, it's a different type of strategy/warfare game, really as distinct as 4X games are.
    Anonymous
    January 18, 2009 4:35:37 PM

1.LOTR BFME II Hands Down
    2.StarCraft
    3.AOE II

(AOE III Blows)
    January 18, 2009 7:04:55 PM

-Total Annihilation is abrilliant game, very old but very good gameplay (with the right expansion packs). Don't go for Supreme Commander instead, it's crap.

-AoE II was good too (AoE III was not so good).

-StarCraft has earned it's place in the list too.

-Dawn of War can be fun but not massively stratigic.

-Soldiers: Heroes of WWII is fun too, especially in cooperative multiplayer with 3-4 players.
    January 19, 2009 2:40:23 PM

Nobody else has mentioned it, but I used to love Rise of Nations, and still play it from time to time.
    January 20, 2009 2:20:25 PM

After playing for a bit, Sins of a Solar Empire has jumped CoH on my above list. Its like a real time Civilization game...
    January 20, 2009 2:30:53 PM

Hands down: StarCraft.

Rise of Nations was also pretty fun. It's similar to Age of Empires but better.
    January 21, 2009 10:07:04 AM

Anyone who's played a decent amount of starcraft will find no joy in any other RTS out there unfortunately (not even Warcraft 3).

Starcraft 2 we await thee...
    January 21, 2009 2:39:30 PM

Company of Heroes is by far the best RTS released since starcraft.

Theres nothing wrong with Starcraft either, however it doesn't hold a candle to CoH anymore - CoH just has a great deal more depth.

I bet Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War 2 are really going to raise the bar.

January 21, 2009 8:21:12 PM

crusoe74 said:
    Nobody else has mentioned it, but I used to love Rise of Nations, and still play it from time to time.

Forgot about that, was quite good but felt there was something missing.
    !