Best strategy (RTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycoshot

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
So yeah,
I want to find the most strategic RTS game out there.
Company of Heroes is pretty advanced. Is there anything else out there?

Cheers,

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
+1 Starcraft
It's probably the most balanced RTS out there and still has a very strong online community. You get used to the old graphics.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Not starcraft or warcraft for me. I've always prefered C&C games. Actually that brings me to me closet favorite, I still really enjoy LOTR Battle for middle earth 2. I know most people really didn't like it but it's my favorite RTS game. I also spent tons of time on Red Alert 2.

Now I go and put that truth back into the closet and never bring it out again.

quinntheskamo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hands down Starcraft I played that game heavly for 5 years strait and i still ply it occasionly
AOE2 is another good one
The Command and Conquer series is okay but noothing comapred to starcraft
They haven't really come out with anything to beat starcraft, which is sad its been ten years, but maybe starcraft 2 will beat it if they stop delaying it(I look every other day to see if they changed anything)

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
bruce555, bfme is a fine game ive been playing through the campaigns for a few months now. Not quite good enough to hook me in but i do return to it a lot.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I haven't played it, but I hear Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty good.
Also, have you looked at Supreme Commander? I'm not sure if it's tactical enough.
If you're after depth, try the Total War series.
I also second the Homeworld suggestion mentioned above.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
check supreme commander - its vastly underrated in my view (because no one's computer could run it when it came out) - and its pretty massive

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

C&C 1 was my first computer computer game for my pentium 1 133 so I do have a bias to it being you couldn't pull me away from the computer with that game when I was young.

Eh, while I enjoy the classics, most of them don't hold up.

Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War
World in Conflict
Sins of a Solar Empire (does SoaSE count as a RTS, 4x, or both?)

Haven't tried any others recently, but those are the best I've seen.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Supreme commander and the expansion pack. 1000 unit battles ftw!

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
40K is the best newish strategy game, I'd say... But nothing holds a candle to Starcraft still... And this is coming from someone who prefers medieval high fantasy any day of the week over sci-fi.

The problem, I believe, is that game companies are trying too hard to make complex war games, and the complexity just ruins the balance and the ability to actually just enjoy the game. I think, other than 40k, the last game that didn't try to overcomplicate things was Battle Realms.

Starcraft and Warcraft were and are still the best because they're challenging, but intuitive. There's not a ton of micromanaging going on, and you don't have to juggle 10 different resources like in games like AoE and the insanely complex space games.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
From the new ones I'd choose only these three:

Ground Control II
- multiplayer is fun

UFO: Extraterrestrials
- great recent remake of the original XCom: UFO (turn-based combat)

Navy Field
- not really RTS, but a MMO real-time tactical simulation game

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Starcraft 2 of course, and +1 to Morton for Ground Control 2.
For bargain bin choices, any of the Close Combat series, and Master of Orion 1 & 2 (not 3).

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

If you want the BEST in RTS gaming get either Medieval: Total War, Rome: Total War or Medieval 2: Total War, honestly nothing else comes even close to Total War games in terms of tactical warfare, positioning, geography and weather all make a huge difference to the outcome of a battle just like it does in real life.

I had a look on Play.com (the biggest UK online retailer for video games) and the up and coming Empire: Total War is taking more pre orders then ‘Starcraft’ which IMO is little more then a Sci-Fi C&C clone. I’m sure it’s better then C&C but lets face it Starcraft hardly pushes the boundaries of RTS games like Total War does.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008

Of course Empire: Total War is taking more pre-orders, it actually HAS a release date, March 2009. Starcraft 2 is slated to be released in 2009, but we all know how much Blizzard fine tunes gameplay balance. I'm sure SC2 will go gold shortly after a release date is given.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and The Total War series are probably the most strategic RTS games I have played (the total war games are turn based on a large map but with real time tactical battles).

I really like the C&C games and warcraft and Starcraft but I don't find them as strategic, as simple swarm tactics are often the most effective strategy, and they don't reward you for using cover and ambushes or flanking attacks like CoH and the total war games do, that said Starcraft and the C&C games are still classics with a timless quality to them and I still enjoy playing them today. And as previously stated by several people Starcraft has some of the best balanced units in any game I've played, and I would recomend it to anyone who likes RTS games and has not yet played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.