Newsgroups and their messages

I hope if someone can not answer this I can be directed to a proper forum. I
am a subscriber to Comcast which has just changed the server(I hope I have
this terminology right) to newsgroups.Comcast.net and now I guess this is
supposed to be some sort of improvement. However I am having difficulties
that can not be addressed by their support people(no news here). In addition
to being presented with the logon dialog box numerous times I now see that
my post is not even viewable whatsoever. I can find it with Google and
continue a thread from their but never see it on the appropriate NG from
outlook express. This problem has just started with this change and I am
hoping someone can help out with this issue.

TIA
J.
19 answers Last reply
More about newsgroups messages

    Hi Jimmy,

    Use msnews.microsoft.com for the NNTP server to bypass Comcast.

    Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    http://dts-l.org/

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:04:09 -0500, "Jimmy" <Jimmycliff-f@xemaps.com> wrote:

    >I hope if someone can not answer this I can be directed to a proper forum. I
    >am a subscriber to Comcast which has just changed the server(I hope I have
    >this terminology right) to newsgroups.Comcast.net and now I guess this is
    >supposed to be some sort of improvement. However I am having difficulties
    >that can not be addressed by their support people(no news here). In addition
    >to being presented with the logon dialog box numerous times I now see that
    >my post is not even viewable whatsoever. I can find it with Google and
    >continue a thread from their but never see it on the appropriate NG from
    >outlook express. This problem has just started with this change and I am
    >hoping someone can help out with this issue.
    >
    >TIA
    >J.

    open tools>accounts>news>
    select ADD
    top line insert newsgroups.Comcast.net <-- this sounds odd,
    since it's normally NEWS not newsgroups.

    Name: enter the name you want to be called in that news group..

    email address: I don't know if spoof addresses work. I have OE, but don't use
    it as primary. You could try a spoof address, but if you have to login and it's
    going by this address, you'll need to insert your real email address.

    2nd tab SERVER
    server name: newsgroups.Comcast.net or maybe news. It should be available from
    the Comcast website for setups.
    This server requires me to login: Checked
    account name: whatever it is. maybe Jimmycliff-f@xemaps.com
    Password: Whatever you use to login to your ISP unless you've created a
    separate one for your news accounts.
    Remember password. I'd say yes unless you want to hand enter account and
    password every time it's run.

    3rd tab CONNECTION
    You'll have to handle this yourself, mines grayed out. I use whatever
    connection is open.

    4th tab ADVANCED
    I haven't touched mine. It should work as is.

    Hi,

    Use Outlook Express, and add msnews.microsoft.com as the nntp server,
    details:
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Jimmy wrote:
    > I hope if someone can not answer this I can be directed to a proper forum. I
    > am a subscriber to Comcast which has just changed the server(I hope I have
    > this terminology right) to newsgroups.Comcast.net

    Comcast Never notified me of This Change !!! it is still Giganews for Me

    and now I guess this is
    > supposed to be some sort of improvement. However I am having difficulties
    > that can not be addressed by their support people(no news here). In addition
    > to being presented with the logon dialog box numerous times I now see that
    > my post is not even viewable whatsoever. I can find it with Google and
    > continue a thread from their but never see it on the appropriate NG from
    > outlook express. This problem has just started with this change and I am
    > hoping someone can help out with this issue.
    >
    > TIA
    > J.

    "Jimmy" <Jimmycliff-f@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    >I hope if someone can not answer this I can be directed to a proper
    >forum. I am a subscriber to Comcast which has just changed the server(I
    >hope I have this terminology right) to newsgroups.Comcast.net and now I
    >guess this is supposed to be some sort of improvement. However I am
    >having difficulties that can not be addressed by their support
    >people(no news here). In addition to being presented with the logon
    >dialog box numerous times I now see that my post is not even viewable
    >whatsoever. I can find it with Google and continue a thread from their
    >but never see it on the appropriate NG from outlook express. This
    >problem has just started with this change and I am hoping someone can
    >help out with this issue.
    >
    > TIA
    > J.

    Were you an ATTBI customer that got acquired by Comcast? Were you still
    using the old ATTBI newsgroups server (netnews.comcast.net)? If so, and
    because Comcast never wanted to get stuck managing NNTP servers, they
    dropped that server. They prefer to contract out their NNTP service to
    Giganews, so you have to open a Giganews account as a Comcast customer
    to get the free *basic* Giganews service. Bandwidth was unlimited on
    the old ATTBI/Comcast NNTP server but the basic Giganews account is
    1GB/month and headers count in the download quota. Comcast promised an
    increase to 2GB/month with header downloads not counting against the
    quota but that really was a change by Giganews in their basic service
    and doesn't take effect until the end of your quota cycle (check the
    Giganews Control Panel by logging in at http://www.giganews.com/ to see
    when your quota cycle next refreshes).

    Their help page at http://online.comcast.net/giganews/ says to use
    newsgroups.comcast.com (216.196.97.136) for the NNTP server (and says
    the same thing in the link it has to a FAQ), yet that is the same IP
    address as the old netnews.comcast.net server that they just killed.
    Maybe they are trying to forward old users to the Giganews server. I
    knew Comcast was going to kill the ATTIB newsgroups server they got
    stuck with plus even their representative acknowledged that the old NNTP
    server was very low priority for maintainence (I'd report problems that
    were very slow to get addressed). So I signed up for a
    Comcast-contracted Giganews account and had access to both NNTP servers
    until the start of this month when Comcast killed off the old ATTBI
    server. When I signed up for the Giganews account to get a cc######
    username, I was told to use the following IP name for their NNTP server:

    news.giganews.com

    The Comcast article mentioned above doesn't really tell you anything
    about how to open an account at Giganews. All it talks about is how to
    configure to use the Giganews account, not how to signup. However, at
    http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=17505&cat=Newsgroups&subcategory=1,
    apparently you don't have to signup, anymore. You just use your
    username@comcast.net to login to Giganews (but it must be your primary
    or owner account's username you use to login, not a member account's
    username).

    I had actually used up my 1GB/month quota in the Giganews account that I
    had signed up for while testing it by downloading headers, so that
    account is dead until the quota cycle date. I just created a new NNTP
    account in OE which goes to newsgroups.comcast.net and uses the primary
    Comcast account (owner account) to login in, I subscribed to some
    newsgroups, and I could participate. So either going in via
    newsgroups.comcast.net got me the increased 2GB/month quota (over the
    1.07GB that I used up in testing the changeover which locked me out when
    connecting to news.giganews.com with my cc###### username) but the
    Giganews Control Panel doesn't reflect my use, or that gave me a
    different account then the Giganews account that I had to signup for
    before. I'm addicted to newsgroups so I don't want to consume another
    1GB of bandwidth just to see if one or both accounts then go dead.

    As a test, I downloaded headers in the newsgroups.comcast.net account in
    OE and then checked the Giganews Control Panel to check my transfer
    stats on my old cc###### account. No change in transfer stats, but then
    the new NNTP service isn't supposed to count headers against the monthly
    quota so that didn't prove anything (if it had changed then I would know
    newsgroups.comcast.net using username@comcast.net for login was the same
    account as using news.giganews.com using cc###### to login). So then I
    synchronize one of the newsgroups (set to "All Messages") to force
    downloading their bodies. I went off to lunch since this was going to
    take awhile. When I got back, I again checked transfer stats by logging
    into the Giganews Control Panel but the stats had not changed. So
    connecting to newsgroups.comcast.net using primaryaccount@comcast.net to
    login was not affecting my Comcast-contracted Giganews account logged in
    using news.giganews.com and my cc###### username. So Comcast & Giganews
    still have some stuff to iron out.

    Comcast is still in a transition state regarding newsgroups, losing the
    old ATTBI server, and redirecting through Comcast to pre-contracted
    accounts at Giganews without a signup step. It looks like the "option"
    (and joy) of signing up for a Giganews account is no longer required or
    even possible. It could be a month, or more, before they iron out their
    new setup for NNTP.

    E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

    By the way, after defining a news account that uses
    newsgroups.comcast.net to use the Comcast authentication server to get
    at the Comcast-contracted Giganews NNTP service, I've had the
    frustration, too, of getting the bogus login popup from OE saying to
    enter my login credentials. This had nothing to do with bad credentials
    but everything to do with their authentication server timing out and
    returning a 520 error code, and all OE can figure out is that the
    credentials might've been bad so that's why you get OE prompting you to
    correct your login credentials (which were correct in the first place).
    Nothing of the login credentials gets included in your posts. It is
    used simply to get past their authentication server and then pass you on
    to Giganews, so you can still dictate what e-mail address, if any, gets
    included in your posts. You can still munge or spoof your e-mail
    address in the news account you define in OE but you need to specify
    your real e-mail address (for your primary or owner account) in the
    login credentials.

    You used to have to signup for a Comcast-contracted Giganews account.
    That one was working for me just great (until I exceeded the 1GB/month
    quota despite the promise it was to get upped to 2GB/month). Now
    Comcast users don't have to signup for the Comcast-contracted Giganews
    service which means that either Comcast had to pre-define all the
    Giganews accounts or they get an unfettered connect to Giganews and use
    their own authentication server (newgroups.comcast.net) to make sure a
    Comcast user is trying to use Giganews. So their authentication setup
    is screwed up.

    Complaining to Comcast will be the only way to force them to iron out
    the kinks. Comcast doesn't want to support NNTP. As far as they are
    concerned, they're stuck with it but it gets lowest priority. Make the
    squeaky wheel even louder. Complain to them.

    Bert Kinney wrote:
    > Hi Jimmy,
    >
    > Use msnews.microsoft.com for the NNTP server to bypass Comcast.
    >
    > Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

    Hi Bert and thanks for the reply. I do use msn newsgroups and I subscribe
    to easynews which I plan to drop to save the $10.00 per month but MSN does
    not have much to offer such as photography and digital video groups.

    J.

    Husky wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:04:09 -0500, "Jimmy" <Jimmycliff-f@xemaps.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I hope if someone can not answer this I can be directed to a proper
    >> forum. I am a subscriber to Comcast which has just changed the
    >> server(I hope I have this terminology right) to
    >> newsgroups.Comcast.net and now I guess this is supposed to be some
    >> sort of improvement. However I am having difficulties that can not
    >> be addressed by their support people(no news here). In addition to
    >> being presented with the logon dialog box numerous times I now see
    >> that my post is not even viewable whatsoever. I can find it with
    >> Google and continue a thread from their but never see it on the
    >> appropriate NG from outlook express. This problem has just started
    >> with this change and I am hoping someone can help out with this
    >> issue.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> J.
    >>

    > open tools>accounts>news>
    > select ADD
    > top line insert newsgroups.Comcast.net <-- this sounds
    > odd, since it's normally NEWS not newsgroups.

    This was a change that Comcast made this month. I did try to get help from
    support but all they were able to do was help configure what I already had
    done correctly. I do get all the groups I had before their change but now I
    get the added problems I mentioned. I did remove the setup and rebuild and I
    have not gotten the nag screen yet but I still notice that my messages
    either don't appear at all or they disappear moments later only in some
    groups.

    Thanks

    J.

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Use Outlook Express, and add msnews.microsoft.com as the nntp server,
    > details:
    > http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    Hi Rick. Gee are you still around? I remember you from say '98? You had
    helped me then and I am still grateful for guys like you being around.
    Regards

    J.

    Santa wrote:
    > Jimmy wrote:
    >> I hope if someone can not answer this I can be directed to a proper
    >> forum. I am a subscriber to Comcast which has just changed the
    >> server(I hope I have this terminology right) to
    >> newsgroups.Comcast.net
    >

    > Comcast Never notified me of This Change !!! it is still Giganews
    > for Me
    I had to look at old emails I received from them to see that I had that
    notice. I block them anyway as I get an error when they send me their adds
    for TV and such. Everything was working fine until just the other day with
    the older settings so I don't really know how these servers work anyway. I
    am sure I can get around this problem eventually as I don't seem to have
    this happening on every system I have running here. I have one that works ok
    so far. I had thought it might be an SP2 issue as that has been the only
    thing I have changed in sometime. I did hear tech support mention Giganews
    but I have not seen that name anywhere in my setup experiences.

    J.

    Vanguard wrote:
> [...]
    > Messages") to force downloading their bodies. I went off to lunch
    > since this was going to take awhile. When I got back, I again
    > checked transfer stats by logging into the Giganews Control Panel but
    > the stats had not changed. So connecting to newsgroups.comcast.net
    > using primaryaccount@comcast.net to login was not affecting my
    > Comcast-contracted Giganews account logged in using news.giganews.com
    > and my cc###### username. So Comcast & Giganews still have some
    > stuff to iron out.
    > Comcast is still in a transition state regarding newsgroups, losing
    > the old ATTBI server, and redirecting through Comcast to
    > pre-contracted accounts at Giganews without a signup step. It looks
    > like the "option" (and joy) of signing up for a Giganews account is
    > no longer required or even possible. It could be a month, or more,
    > before they iron out their new setup for NNTP.

    Ok, thanks Vanguard. This was very informative and helpful. I am an old
    ATTBI user and before that it was Mediaone. I can see that this new Comcast
    configuration is probably going to take some tweaks on their part as I have
    to listen to a recorded report about slowness when I wait for them to get to
    their first level of support.

    J.

    Hi Jimmy,

    You can setup multiple accounts in OE. I would suggest using the
    server I posted to connect to these newsgroups.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Vanguard wrote:
    > By the way, after defining a news account that uses
    > newsgroups.comcast.net to use the Comcast authentication server to get
    > at the Comcast-contracted Giganews NNTP service, I've had the
    > frustration, too, of getting the bogus login popup from OE saying to
    > enter my login credentials. This had nothing to do with bad
    > credentials but everything to do with their authentication server
    > timing out and returning a 520 error code, and all OE can figure out
    > is that the credentials might've been bad so that's why you get OE
    > prompting you to correct your login credentials (which were correct
    > in the first place). Nothing of the login credentials gets included
    > in your posts. It is used simply to get past their authentication
    > server and then pass you on to Giganews, so you can still dictate
    > what e-mail address, if any, gets included in your posts. You can
    > still munge or spoof your e-mail address in the news account you
    > define in OE but you need to specify your real e-mail address (for
    > your primary or owner account) in the login credentials.
    >
    > You used to have to signup for a Comcast-contracted Giganews account.
    > That one was working for me just great (until I exceeded the 1GB/month
    > quota despite the promise it was to get upped to 2GB/month). Now
    > Comcast users don't have to signup for the Comcast-contracted Giganews
    > service which means that either Comcast had to pre-define all the
    > Giganews accounts or they get an unfettered connect to Giganews and
    > use their own authentication server (newgroups.comcast.net) to make
    > sure a Comcast user is trying to use Giganews. So their
    > authentication setup is screwed up.
    >
    > Complaining to Comcast will be the only way to force them to iron out
    > the kinks. Comcast doesn't want to support NNTP. As far as they are
    > concerned, they're stuck with it but it gets lowest priority. Make
    > the squeaky wheel even louder. Complain to them.

    I have called them several times and I know they probably already know why I
    am calling back again the next time. I guess there is no harm in bugging
    them as often as I have to. I haven't noticed any difficulty with a limit
    and just can't equate the 2gig size to messages that seem so small. I guess
    I will have to give that some thought or conduct similar test that you have
    done. This was the first conclusion they came to when I informed them of my
    problems and I have never hear this mentioned in the years I have had
    service. This must be a problem for some and so I assume it is one cutback
    of more to come. I hope they don't try older money tricks like charging for
    home networking like before and/or cut back of the web space. Maybe even a
    yearly contract can be expected like the cell phone companies and DSL
    providers.

    J.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Yup, still here. Still helping - I hope.

    --

    "Jimmy" <JimmyCliff@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Use Outlook Express, and add msnews.microsoft.com as the nntp server,
    >> details:
    >> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    >>
    > Hi Rick. Gee are you still around? I remember you from say '98? You had
    > helped me then and I am still grateful for guys like you being around.
    > Regards
    >
    > J.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Bert Kinney wrote:
    > Hi Jimmy,
    >
    > You can setup multiple accounts in OE. I would suggest using the
    > server I posted to connect to these newsgroups.

    Will do. Thanks again.
    J.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Yup, still here. Still helping - I hope.

    Great job. Thanks again.

    J.

    > "Jimmy" <JimmyCliff@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    >> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Use Outlook Express, and add msnews.microsoft.com as the nntp
    >>> server, details:
    >>> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    >>>
    >> Hi Rick. Gee are you still around? I remember you from say '98? You
    >> had helped me then and I am still grateful for guys like you being
    >> around. Regards
    >>
    >> J.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jimmy wrote:
    <snip>
    > This was a change that Comcast made this month. I did try to get help from
    > support but all they were able to do was help configure what I already had
    > done correctly. I do get all the groups I had before their change but now
    > get the added problems I mentioned. I did remove the setup and rebuild and
    > have not gotten the nag screen yet but I still notice that my messages
    > either don't appear at all or they disappear moments later only in some
    > groups.

    OE Tools>Options>Read>Get XX headers at a time* (uncheck)

    OE View>Current View>Hide Read Messages (uncheck, temporarily; also check
    other settings here)

    Some newsservers delete posts after only a few hours. The MS newsserver in
    contrast keeps posts available for 90+ days.

    *You may set this option as high as 1,000 (or disable it altogether). For
    newsgroups with thousands of posts on the server, start with 1,000.
    Right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane>Synchronization Settings>
    select New Messages Only. Now every time you open the newsgroup (or hit
    F5), you will download the next-newest set of headers/messages.

    When you feel you've downloaded enough headers/messages, again right-click
    on the newsgroup in Folders pane and select Catch Up Now. This will Mark as
    Read all messages on the server, including ones you've not yet downloaded.
    Now return to "Get XXX headers at a time" and uncheck the option completely;
    then compact the folder.

    From now on, OE will only download headers/messages posted to the server
    since you last checked (polled) for messages.

    You should probably visit this page, too:
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews (lotsa good stuff
    there).
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    Inside Outlook Express
    http://www.insideoe.com
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    PA Bear wrote:
    > Jimmy wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> This was a change that Comcast made this month. I did try to get
    >> help from support but all they were able to do was help configure
    >> what I already had done correctly. I do get all the groups I had
    >> before their change but now I
    >> get the added problems I mentioned. I did remove the setup and
    >> rebuild and I
    >> have not gotten the nag screen yet but I still notice that my
    >> messages either don't appear at all or they disappear moments later
    >> only in some groups.
    >
    > OE Tools>Options>Read>Get XX headers at a time* (uncheck)
    >
    > OE View>Current View>Hide Read Messages (uncheck, temporarily; also
    > check other settings here)
    >
    > Some newsservers delete posts after only a few hours. The MS
    > newsserver in contrast keeps posts available for 90+ days.
    >
    > *You may set this option as high as 1,000 (or disable it altogether).
    > For newsgroups with thousands of posts on the server, start with
    > 1,000. Right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane>Synchronization
    > Settings> select New Messages Only. Now every time you open the
    > newsgroup (or hit F5), you will download the next-newest set of
    > headers/messages.
    > When you feel you've downloaded enough headers/messages, again
    > right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane and select Catch Up Now.
    > This will Mark as Read all messages on the server, including ones
    > you've not yet downloaded. Now return to "Get XXX headers at a time"
    > and uncheck the option completely; then compact the folder.
    >
    > From now on, OE will only download headers/messages posted to the
    > server since you last checked (polled) for messages.
    >
    > You should probably visit this page, too:
    > http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews (lotsa good stuff
    > there).

    Thank you very much Mr. Bear. This is very helpful.

    Regards.

    J.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jimmy wrote:
    > > <snip>
    > > > This was a change that Comcast made this month. I did try to get
    > > > help from support but all they were able to do was help configure
    > > > what I already had done correctly. I do get all the groups I had
    > > > before their change but now I
    > > > get the added problems I mentioned. I did remove the setup and
    > > > rebuild and I
    > > > have not gotten the nag screen yet but I still notice that my
    > > > messages either don't appear at all or they disappear moments later
    > > > only in some groups.
    > >
    > > OE Tools>Options>Read>Get XX headers at a time* (uncheck)
    > >
    > > OE View>Current View>Hide Read Messages (uncheck, temporarily; also
    > > check other settings here)
    > >
    > > Some newsservers delete posts after only a few hours. The MS
    > > newsserver in contrast keeps posts available for 90+ days.
    > >
    > > *You may set this option as high as 1,000 (or disable it altogether).
    > > For newsgroups with thousands of posts on the server, start with
    > > 1,000. Right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane>Synchronization
    > > Settings> select New Messages Only. Now every time you open the
    > > newsgroup (or hit F5), you will download the next-newest set of
    > > headers/messages.
    > > When you feel you've downloaded enough headers/messages, again
    > > right-click on the newsgroup in Folders pane and select Catch Up Now.
    > > This will Mark as Read all messages on the server, including ones
    > > you've not yet downloaded. Now return to "Get XXX headers at a time"
    > > and uncheck the option completely; then compact the folder.
    > >
    > > From now on, OE will only download headers/messages posted to the
    > > server since you last checked (polled) for messages.
    > >
    > > You should probably visit this page, too:
    > > http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews (lotsa good stuff
    > > there).
    >
    > Thank you very much Mr. Bear. This is very helpful.

    YW, Jimmy, and thanks for posting back.
    --
    ~PA Bear

Newsgroup Windows XP