XP Pro Activation

I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok to
activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options to
do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about activation. I
have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken
11 answers Last reply
More about activation

    Possible Resolution:

    Boot into Safe Mode.

    Then go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
    Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and hit enter again.

    Apparently, and I can't say how, the above files became unregistered.

    Also review:

    Visit http://www.mcse.ms/message45251.html for troubleshooting
    suggestions.

    Error Message Cites License-Checking Issue After Upgrade
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;310794

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Ken" wrote:

    | I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
    | faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
    | coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok to
    | activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options to
    | do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
    | boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about activation. I
    | have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
    | Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

    Hi Ken,

    This should help:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
    > faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
    > coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok
    > activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options
    > do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
    > boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about
    > activation. I
    > have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

    Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial instructions and get
    a "success" message, I reboot the PC and it opens with a window saying I have
    to activate to use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get the
    same old screen "Windows is already activated" and all I can do is click
    ok....and I cant go any further.

    Ken

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > This should help:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
    > > faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
    > > coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok
    > > activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options
    > > do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
    > > boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about
    > > activation. I
    > > have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

    Hi Ken,

    Did you do the follow up steps and remove the listed registry keys?

    --

    > Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial instructions and
    > get
    > a "success" message, I reboot the PC and it opens with a window saying I
    > have
    > to activate to use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get
    > the
    > same old screen "Windows is already activated" and all I can do is click
    > ok....and I cant go any further.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Ken,
    >>
    >> This should help:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to
    >> > faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it
    >> > keeps
    >> > coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say
    >> > ok
    >> > activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no
    >> > options
    >> > do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time
    >> > boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about
    >> > activation. I
    >> > have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
    >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

    Hi Ken,

    When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    mcilwrk wrote:
    > Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial
    > instructions and get a "success" message, I reboot the PC
    > and it opens with a window saying I have to activate to
    > use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get
    > the same old screen "Windows is already activated" and
    > all I can do is click ok....and I cant go any further.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Ken,
    >>
    >> This should help:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was
    >>> at it, changed to a faster LAN card and new
    >>> motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
    >>> coming up with the 30 day warning about product
    >>> activation. When I say ok to
    >>> activate, it says "windows is already activated" and
    >>> gives me no options to
    >>> do anything else except close out of the activation
    >>> window...Every time I boot up the PC, I get that same
    >>> 30 day (now less) warning about activation. I
    >>> have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
    >>> Any help would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

    Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box of the version I
    recently installed said "Version 2002" and "SP2 Included". I did not see any
    dialog box asking me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
    the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially stated " activate now or
    quit".

    Dan

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > mcilwrk wrote:
    > > Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial
    > > instructions and get a "success" message, I reboot the PC
    > > and it opens with a window saying I have to activate to
    > > use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get
    > > the same old screen "Windows is already activated" and
    > > all I can do is click ok....and I cant go any further.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Ken,
    > >>
    > >> This should help:
    > >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > >> message

    It look like SP2 was installed then.

    Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key down as the
    BIOS info passes?

    If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a file named
    reset5.exe or better yet do a file search for reset5 and post back
    with your findings.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    dspisak wrote:
    > Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box
    > of the version I recently installed said "Version 2002"
    > and "SP2 Included". I did not see any dialog box asking
    > me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
    > the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially
    > stated " activate now or quit".
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Ken,
    >>
    >> When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> mcilwrk wrote:
    >>> Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial
    >>> instructions and get a "success" message, I reboot the
    >>> PC and it opens with a window saying I have to activate
    >>> to use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I
    >>> get the same old screen "Windows is already activated"
    >>> and all I can do is click ok....and I cant go any
    >>> further.
    >>>
    >>> Ken

    Rick, the registry entries you mentioned were not there. Perhaps they got
    removed when I did the first part of your suggestion and got the "success"
    reply?

    Service pack 2 is NOT installed. CD only has service pack 1 and I haven't
    downloaded anything to do with service pack 2.

    Bert, I booted into safe mode and searched for "reset5.exe". There was no
    reset5,exe, but there was a reset.exe in the C:\Windows|system32 directory.
    Its 10kb in size and dated 7/16/2003.

    Ken

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > It look like SP2 was installed then.
    >
    > Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key down as the
    > BIOS info passes?
    >
    > If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a file named
    > reset5.exe or better yet do a file search for reset5 and post back
    > with your findings.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > dspisak wrote:
    > > Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box
    > > of the version I recently installed said "Version 2002"
    > > and "SP2 Included". I did not see any dialog box asking
    > > me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
    > > the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially
    > > stated " activate now or quit".
    > >
    > > Dan
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Ken,
    > >>
    > >> When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > >> http://dts-l.org/

    Reset.exe is a Windows file.

    The only other idea I have is to install SP2, maybe that will take
    care of it.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    mcilwrk wrote:
    > Rick, the registry entries you mentioned were not there.
    > Perhaps they got removed when I did the first part of
    > your suggestion and got the "success" reply?
    >
    > Service pack 2 is NOT installed. CD only has service pack
    > 1 and I haven't downloaded anything to do with service
    > pack 2.
    >
    > Bert, I booted into safe mode and searched for
    > "reset5.exe". There was no reset5,exe, but there was a
    > reset.exe in the C:\Windows|system32 directory. Its 10kb
    > in size and dated 7/16/2003.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> It look like SP2 was installed then.
    >>
    >> Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key
    >> down as the BIOS info passes?
    >>
    >> If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a
    >> file named reset5.exe or better yet do a file search
    >> for reset5 and post back with your findings.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> dspisak wrote:
    >>> Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box
    >>> of the version I recently installed said "Version 2002"
    >>> and "SP2 Included". I did not see any dialog box asking
    >>> me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
    >>> the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially
    >>> stated " activate now or quit".
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    Bert, took the plunge and installed SP2.....now I can continue the activation
    process and get to the screen where it asks me for my key!!!! Fantastic....

    This may be a first...SP2 to the rescue instead of causing a problem :-)

    Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my problem. Its very much
    appreciated....Ken

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Reset.exe is a Windows file.
    >
    > The only other idea I have is to install SP2, maybe that will take
    > care of it.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > mcilwrk wrote:
    > > Rick, the registry entries you mentioned were not there.
    > > Perhaps they got removed when I did the first part of
    > > your suggestion and got the "success" reply?
    > >
    > > Service pack 2 is NOT installed. CD only has service pack
    > > 1 and I haven't downloaded anything to do with service
    > > pack 2.
    > >
    > > Bert, I booted into safe mode and searched for
    > > "reset5.exe". There was no reset5,exe, but there was a
    > > reset.exe in the C:\Windows|system32 directory. Its 10kb
    > > in size and dated 7/16/2003.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> It look like SP2 was installed then.
    > >>
    > >> Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key
    > >> down as the BIOS info passes?
    > >>
    > >> If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a
    > >> file named reset5.exe or better yet do a file search
    > >> for reset5 and post back with your findings.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > >> http://dts-l.org/

    You're welcome Ken, and thanks for the feedback.

    This activation problem has been popping up more and more lately with
    no fix that I know of, so recommending SP2 (if not already installed)
    is another option in repairing the problem.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Microsoft Windows XP