XP Pro Activation

January 9, 2005 10:31:05 AM

I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok to
activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options to
do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about activation. I
have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

More about : pro activation

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:39:52 PM

Possible Resolution:

Boot into Safe Mode.

Then go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and hit enter again.

Apparently, and I can't say how, the above files became unregistered.

Also review:

Visit http://www.mcse.ms/message45251.html for troubleshooting
suggestions.

Error Message Cites License-Checking Issue After Upgrade
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;310794

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Ken" wrote:

| I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
| faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
| coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok to
| activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options to
| do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
| boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about activation. I
| have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:01:25 PM

Hi Ken,

This should help:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
> faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
> coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok
> activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options
> do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
> boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about
> activation. I
> have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken
January 10, 2005 7:23:04 PM

Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial instructions and get
a "success" message, I reboot the PC and it opens with a window saying I have
to activate to use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get the
same old screen "Windows is already activated" and all I can do is click
ok....and I cant go any further.

Ken

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> This should help:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to a
> > faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
> > coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say ok
> > activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no options
> > do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time I
> > boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about
> > activation. I
> > have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:46:42 PM

Hi Ken,

Did you do the follow up steps and remove the listed registry keys?

--

> Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial instructions and
> get
> a "success" message, I reboot the PC and it opens with a window saying I
> have
> to activate to use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get
> the
> same old screen "Windows is already activated" and all I can do is click
> ok....and I cant go any further.
>
> Ken
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> This should help:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was at it, changed to
>> > faster LAN card and new motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it
>> > keeps
>> > coming up with the 30 day warning about product activation. When I say
>> > ok
>> > activate, it says "windows is already activated" and gives me no
>> > options
>> > do anything else except close out of the activation window...Every time
>> > boot up the PC, I get that same 30 day (now less) warning about
>> > activation. I
>> > have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks....Ken

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:55:12 PM

Hi Ken,

When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

mcilwrk wrote:
> Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial
> instructions and get a "success" message, I reboot the PC
> and it opens with a window saying I have to activate to
> use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get
> the same old screen "Windows is already activated" and
> all I can do is click ok....and I cant go any further.
>
> Ken
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> This should help:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> I had to reformat my HD due to spyware and while I was
>>> at it, changed to a faster LAN card and new
>>> motherboard. I have reloaded XP Pro, but it keeps
>>> coming up with the 30 day warning about product
>>> activation. When I say ok to
>>> activate, it says "windows is already activated" and
>>> gives me no options to
>>> do anything else except close out of the activation
>>> window...Every time I boot up the PC, I get that same
>>> 30 day (now less) warning about activation. I
>>> have previously registered my XP Pro with Microsoft etc.
>>> Any help would be greatly
>>> appreciated.......Thanks....Ken
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:23:05 AM

Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box of the version I
recently installed said "Version 2002" and "SP2 Included". I did not see any
dialog box asking me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially stated " activate now or
quit".

Dan

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> mcilwrk wrote:
> > Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial
> > instructions and get a "success" message, I reboot the PC
> > and it opens with a window saying I have to activate to
> > use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I get
> > the same old screen "Windows is already activated" and
> > all I can do is click ok....and I cant go any further.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ken,
> >>
> >> This should help:
> >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "mcilwrk" <mcilwrk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:22:48 PM

It look like SP2 was installed then.

Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key down as the
BIOS info passes?

If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a file named
reset5.exe or better yet do a file search for reset5 and post back
with your findings.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

dspisak wrote:
> Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box
> of the version I recently installed said "Version 2002"
> and "SP2 Included". I did not see any dialog box asking
> me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
> the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially
> stated " activate now or quit".
>
> Dan
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> mcilwrk wrote:
>>> Hi Rick...still no luck.....after I follow the intitial
>>> instructions and get a "success" message, I reboot the
>>> PC and it opens with a window saying I have to activate
>>> to use XP PRO (30 days are now up). I say ok and then I
>>> get the same old screen "Windows is already activated"
>>> and all I can do is click ok....and I cant go any
>>> further.
>>>
>>> Ken

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:49:02 PM

Rick, the registry entries you mentioned were not there. Perhaps they got
removed when I did the first part of your suggestion and got the "success"
reply?

Service pack 2 is NOT installed. CD only has service pack 1 and I haven't
downloaded anything to do with service pack 2.

Bert, I booted into safe mode and searched for "reset5.exe". There was no
reset5,exe, but there was a reset.exe in the C:\Windows|system32 directory.
Its 10kb in size and dated 7/16/2003.

Ken

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> It look like SP2 was installed then.
>
> Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key down as the
> BIOS info passes?
>
> If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a file named
> reset5.exe or better yet do a file search for reset5 and post back
> with your findings.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> dspisak wrote:
> > Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box
> > of the version I recently installed said "Version 2002"
> > and "SP2 Included". I did not see any dialog box asking
> > me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
> > the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially
> > stated " activate now or quit".
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ken,
> >>
> >> When you reinstalled XP did you also install SP2?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> >> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:28:23 PM

Reset.exe is a Windows file.

The only other idea I have is to install SP2, maybe that will take
care of it.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

mcilwrk wrote:
> Rick, the registry entries you mentioned were not there.
> Perhaps they got removed when I did the first part of
> your suggestion and got the "success" reply?
>
> Service pack 2 is NOT installed. CD only has service pack
> 1 and I haven't downloaded anything to do with service
> pack 2.
>
> Bert, I booted into safe mode and searched for
> "reset5.exe". There was no reset5,exe, but there was a
> reset.exe in the C:\Windows|system32 directory. Its 10kb
> in size and dated 7/16/2003.
>
> Ken
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> It look like SP2 was installed then.
>>
>> Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key
>> down as the BIOS info passes?
>>
>> If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a
>> file named reset5.exe or better yet do a file search
>> for reset5 and post back with your findings.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> dspisak wrote:
>>> Hello. Doesn't XP Pro automatically install SP2? I box
>>> of the version I recently installed said "Version 2002"
>>> and "SP2 Included". I did not see any dialog box asking
>>> me if I wanted to install SP2. Also, XP did not give me
>>> the 30 day grace period. the dialog box essentially
>>> stated " activate now or quit".
>>>
>>> Dan

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:59:02 AM

Bert, took the plunge and installed SP2.....now I can continue the activation
process and get to the screen where it asks me for my key!!!! Fantastic....

This may be a first...SP2 to the rescue instead of causing a problem :-)

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my problem. Its very much
appreciated....Ken

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Reset.exe is a Windows file.
>
> The only other idea I have is to install SP2, maybe that will take
> care of it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> mcilwrk wrote:
> > Rick, the registry entries you mentioned were not there.
> > Perhaps they got removed when I did the first part of
> > your suggestion and got the "success" reply?
> >
> > Service pack 2 is NOT installed. CD only has service pack
> > 1 and I haven't downloaded anything to do with service
> > pack 2.
> >
> > Bert, I booted into safe mode and searched for
> > "reset5.exe". There was no reset5,exe, but there was a
> > reset.exe in the C:\Windows|system32 directory. Its 10kb
> > in size and dated 7/16/2003.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> It look like SP2 was installed then.
> >>
> >> Are you able to start in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key
> >> down as the BIOS info passes?
> >>
> >> If so navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and look for a
> >> file named reset5.exe or better yet do a file search
> >> for reset5 and post back with your findings.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> >> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:15:16 PM

You're welcome Ken, and thanks for the feedback.

This activation problem has been popping up more and more lately with
no fix that I know of, so recommending SP2 (if not already installed)
is another option in repairing the problem.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

!