Sign in with
Your question

What games are copied onto the PS3?

Last response: in Video Games
December 17, 2008 4:21:40 PM

I kno that ridge race 7 is copied onto the hard drive...but what other games do this?

I just want to kno which one I can expect faster loads from:)  I have a 320 gig 7200 RPM hard drive and I just wanted to test it out:p 

Thank You :hello: 

One more question

I have these games:

Sonic the hedgehog
Sonic Unleashed
Mirror's Edge
Little Big Planet
Midnight Club L.A
Resistance 1+2

Any other games that you would suggest, preferably ones that aren't also on PC:p , unless they are better on the console:p 

Thanks Again!

More about : games copied ps3

December 17, 2008 6:58:00 PM

By default, the PS3 stores large amount of game data on the HD; the size varies depending on the game. Thats why games tend to run faster after the first/second time you run them.

I also know you can install games directly to the HD, although I've never tried personally or know exactly how to do it...
December 17, 2008 8:14:04 PM

yeah see thats what i mean LOL Installing games on the HDD, I kno ridgeracer 7 does that....are there any others??????

:p 
Related resources
December 17, 2008 8:30:58 PM

K well So far on my list of games that Install on the Hard Drive are:

Ridge Racer 7

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

I'll add to the list if ppl msg or if I find some more:S
December 17, 2008 11:41:50 PM

I don't know why you want the games that install, but one of the best games on the PS3 is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The only thing it will install is a 11MB update which added trophy support, otherwise the game streams everything off the disc. It's arguably the best looking PS3 exclusive, and has excellent sound quality. Metal Gear Solid 4 installs roughly 5GB of data to the hard drive, but it also has to install at the beginning of each Act.
December 18, 2008 12:05:07 AM

According to the 2008 game awards and MGS 4 is the best looking console game:)  and Uncharted 2 looks pretty amazing. But really no graphics impress me that much since I saw Crysis far cry 2 and stuff on PC:p  I mainly play PS3 now cuz all my friends don't want to spend a fortune on their PCs:p 

I don't have drake's fortune unfortunately, I don't kno if it has online:S and its pretty hard to find pre used:p 

I rarely buy new games, ever1 of my games except Resistance 1 was pre-used :p 

And to answer your first question, I want games that install since they'd load faster. So I just some games I can jump in quickly and jump out quickly as needed.
December 18, 2008 12:42:49 PM

L1qu1d said:
According to the 2008 game awards and MGS 4 is the best looking console game:)  and Uncharted 2 looks pretty amazing. But really no graphics impress me that much since I saw Crysis far cry 2 and stuff on PC:p  I mainly play PS3 now cuz all my friends don't want to spend a fortune on their PCs:p 

I don't have drake's fortune unfortunately, I don't kno if it has online:S and its pretty hard to find pre used:p 

I rarely buy new games, ever1 of my games except Resistance 1 was pre-used :p 

And to answer your first question, I want games that install since they'd load faster. So I just some games I can jump in quickly and jump out quickly as needed.
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune came out in 2007, and on a technical level it's vastly superior to Metal Gear Solid 4. Metal Gear Solid 4 looks best during its real time cut scenes, which is likely why it won the award, otherwise the game looks worse than Gears of War 2 in many aspects. Not only is the dynamic lighting in Uncharted better(not that it is hard to do, MGS4's shadows looked like ****), it also has better water, better shaders, better physics and animations, better effects, and better textures due to its use of texture streaming, something the Japanese developers always seem to overlook. Also, if you play Uncharted: Drake's Fortune from start to finish, there are no load screens as it streams data off the disc while playing in the background. Uncharted is a single player only game, but it's still one of the best games available on the PS3. Also, just because a game installs to the hard drive doesn't mean it loads quickly; if you played Metal Gear Solid 4, you'd know that. :pt1cable: 
December 18, 2008 1:43:00 PM

well I played the demo of MGS 4, and to me it looks better. I for 1 don't like the super green trees in the Uncharted game.

Now i downloaded mirror's edge demo before grabbing the game, and I can tell you that it loads faster than the BD disc...U should kno that yourself.

Streaming off the disc is limited compared to direct S-ata reading.

Why do you think it says, download onto the hard drive to save time on loading:) 

Please don't take soo much to heard... i mean I didn't like MGS 4, but it did get a perfect 10 in alot of the review sites;)

Don't forget that MGS 4 is 50 gigs, while loading only 5 on the hard drive as you said:) 

Anyways I should get a boost over the original HDD since it has 7200 RPM since the original I beleive has 5400 or so with 8 MB cache.

Thanks though:D 
December 18, 2008 2:22:00 PM

L1qu1d said:
well I played the demo of MGS 4

Problem solved.
December 18, 2008 7:17:44 PM

L1qu1d said:
well I played the demo of MGS 4, and to me it looks better. I for 1 don't like the super green trees in the Uncharted game.

Now i downloaded mirror's edge demo before grabbing the game, and I can tell you that it loads faster than the BD disc...U should kno that yourself.

Streaming off the disc is limited compared to direct S-ata reading.

Why do you think it says, download onto the hard drive to save time on loading:) 

Please don't take soo much to heard... i mean I didn't like MGS 4, but it did get a perfect 10 in alot of the review sites;)

Don't forget that MGS 4 is 50 gigs, while loading only 5 on the hard drive as you said:) 

Anyways I should get a boost over the original HDD since it has 7200 RPM since the original I beleive has 5400 or so with 8 MB cache.

Thanks though:D 
You're simply looking for games to install because you upgraded your hard drive. No **** the Blu-ray drive reads data slower the HDD does, but if the game is designed properly a Blu-ray disc alone works fine. I have a 7200RPM drive in my PS3 as well, but the performance increase over the 5400RPM drive is in most cases small and in some cases next to non-existent. MGS4 takes approximately 33.2GB of a dual layer Blu-ray disc, and it installs each act before playing. After beating Act 1, you are prompted to overwrite Act 1 and install an additional 5GB of data that is Act 2. If you don't want to play one of the best exclusive titles on the PS3 because it DOES NOT require an install to play, be my guest. In fact, you might as well skip Killzone 2 as well. :sarcastic: 
December 18, 2008 8:23:52 PM

From what i remember Kojima complained that 50 gigs wasn't enough to fit the game so he needed to take off a little bit to make it fit...so there is 33.2 gb...?

I just said i wanted to kno the games, not that my life revolved around it. I don't get what is getting ur rock off.

Killzone 2 already isn;t on my list because I never liked it:)  to me its always going to be in Halo's shadow. Resistance is more my type of game.

I'm sorry my knowledge on this isn't as vast as yours.

Here's a quick question, is there a FTP program for the pS3 so I can either stream videos or transfer videos onto the HDD?
December 18, 2008 8:52:30 PM

L1qu1d said:
From what i remember Kojima complained that 50 gigs wasn't enough to fit the game so he needed to take off a little bit to make it fit...so there is 33.2 gb...?

I just said i wanted to kno the games, not that my life revolved around it. I don't get what is getting ur rock off.

Killzone 2 already isn;t on my list because I never liked it:)  to me its always going to be in Halo's shadow. Resistance is more my type of game.

I'm sorry my knowledge on this isn't as vast as yours.

Here's a quick question, is there a FTP program for the pS3 so I can either stream videos or transfer videos onto the HDD?
Yeah, the whole "Blu-ray isn't big enough!" was a load of BS probably to help justify making the game PS3 exclusive. I forget what site did it, but they checked the disc in Linux and it was actually only 33.2GB. For streaming videos, music, and pictures to your PS3, Windows Media Player 11 should actually work no problem. Another program you might like to check out is TVersity as it allows you to stream youtube, recorded programs with media center, and other things to your PS3. PlayOn is another piece of software that is quite nice, but it costs $30 after the trial expires. It can be used to stream Hulu, Netflix, or Youtube to your PS3 or Xbox 360. With Media Player 11, you can copy whatever it is you're streaming to the system. I believe TVersity works the same way with recorded TV, but PlayOn is smarter. If you try to say copy an episode of a show from Hulu with PlayOn, it'll only copy the 3 second Hulu splash screen. Sorry if I came off insulting, it just seemed silly to me that you would want to avoid a game because it does not install. Then again, with 320GB hard drive I guess you want to get the most out of it.
December 18, 2008 9:05:50 PM

ur awesome thnx:) 
December 18, 2008 10:16:42 PM

L1qu1d said:

I would highly suggest atleast keeping your eye on this and your option open to getting this game. I feel once it comes out you will change your mind. I am going to be very surprised if this game is anything short of amazing. K2, GT5 and Blueray are the reasons for which I bought my PS3...well that and I have friends on both sides of the PS3vs360 crap and I like to play both so its w/e. lol

Best,

3Ball
!