Open Letter to Tom's Games Readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterp

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Wait a minute... let me see if I understand this. Tom's Games is getting rid of their movie and gaming reviews sections, written by guys who actually care about quality and aren't just teenage rabid fanboys, and are replacing them with... Turd Tetris? (Yes, "Debris" or "Dabris" literally lets you stack falling geometric pieces of crap.) This is the "cutting edge" site they want?

That's just plain sad.

Good luck Rob and Travis.

pvtsnowball82

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

sounds like the new site is going to suck. sorry to see you go. If you need a writer for your next project, shoot me a mail.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
misterp couldn't have said it better.

This is just disappointing, i have always enjoyed reading your reviews, not only did you know what you were talking about but you went into great detail about...well everything.

Im sorry to see this happening, and i wish you the best of luck

nicae

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Second Take was THE replacement I found for gamespot's on the spot, which I had stopped watching after they fired Jeff Gerstmann for not giving a good game score to the site's sponsor game Kane & Lynch.
Jeff went on to make Giant Bomb, took staff with him, but it's too console oriented for me. Now I'm pretty much left without anything to watch.

Too bad.. Good luck Travis and Rob, you'll do fine elsewhere. I hope Ben will be OK too. Let us know where you're going afterwards, be it through PM or whatever.

Good luck Best of Media: You'll need it. I too think it's a bad move, I (we?) don't need another site clamped with time wasters, but I'm honestly hoping you'll find enough visitors.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
ridiculous....i won't be back to tomsgames if all i can find here is **** flash games lmao.
i hope you guys will start a new gaming review site, one where you will call the shots.
cheers and good luck.

mrlinch

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Good luck to you guys. It's the same for me as Nicae said almost. I really loved following Second Take since it's one of the few features on the 'net these days that'll critically look at the industry and more importantly, stick up for PC gamers.

I'd really like to follow any more writing you do Rob because I like where you went with the PC side and really agreed with it all. Please let us know if you find another writing job.

Sincerely,
-A mournful Second Take watcher

whycough

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Good luck. The reason I originally came to tomsgames was because of the reviews. I know I don't post much, but I've been reading for a while. If you guys start up another site, please drop us a line. Once again, best of luck to you guys.

honkytonkman

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Terrible.....
Flash games??? Like theres not enough of those already. If feel the same way I felt when Jeff got fired from Gamespot. Never returned to that site and I guess theres no reason to return to this one either.
I know thats not how real life works, but if you guys could join Jeff and his crew at Giant Bomb and be responsible for the PC section that would be sweeeeet.
Sad to see you go.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Hmmm...plans for a major transition followed by the resignation of those who do the best work....

Pendleton.jpg

Hopefully you guys will move on to bigger and better things. I enjoyed your work and I wish you the best!

roethle

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Wow that is lame, where the hell am I going to go for honest reviews now IGN (ha ha). Well if your guys are no longer involved I hope the "new toms game's" bombs so bad that it gives the CEO of best of media cancer. Best of luck to you guys if you start a new site it will definitely be part of my daily browsing.

KevTheRev

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Unbeliveable, SecondTake and the Reviews was my whole reason for visiting the site. I won't be coming back...

Best of luck to you guys; looking forward to seeing what's next!

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
It was really a blast doing reviews, second-opinions, interviews, etc. at Tom's Games and I'm going to miss the site as well. I really wish things were different, I think we all had our goals set to growing Tom's Games into one of the most trusted gaming sites out there. I cannot even tell you how hard we emphasized playing through games from start to finish before reviewing them, and we always took our time afterwards to ponder and discuss to make the best judgement call on final scores.

Kevin, Devin, and I will still be doing news at Tom's Guides, and we may begin doing some gaming news posts down the road to at least keep some gaming stuff around. Content however is pretty much nuked, and as you've seen Games is now a flash games portal.

Anyways, I would also like to say thanks to everyone for the support, and like you all I also wish Rob and Travis the best of luck. They're fantastic guys that I consider personal friends, and I plan on staying in touch with them for years to come.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Seriously,

Why will anyone care what `Tom's Games' has if you guys aren't doing the secondtake and all that? We don't want to read about `best of' FLASH games. Those are stupid. They are for your grandma and little sister. Who's wrinkly old balls are being massaged with this gay fest?

Best of luck to you guys as you move on. Tom's will see a major decline is the traffic meter as you guys move on. Maybe they'll try to pick up new unique IP hits via some google flash crap that spams people's emails and installs gay tool bars with trojans.

*sigh*

Very best,

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
To Ben, Rob, and Travis you will be missed. You have done an excellent job and we all will keep our fingers crossed hoping that we can see some more of your future content elsewhere.

I'm really disappointed in Toms Hardware. Toms Games was one of the best parts of the site, if not the best. Not being able to watch Second Take and no longer being able to read truly good unbiased reviews is a shame.

Flash games... wtf?

Best regards,
Former Second Take fan

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

We appreciate the note. Believe me, nobody is more disappointed than Travis, Ben and I, but let's not wish cancer on anybody, especially our former co-workers. As the saying goes, "this isn't personal, it's business."

We had a great time working on this site, and it's sad to see it end. But just knowing that we reached even a few people that read our stuff and cared about the site has pretty much made my day (I almost wrote "it was the best Christmas present I could ask for," but let's not turn this into a Lifetime made-for-TV movie, okay). So from everyone at Tom's Games, thanks.

bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Thanks to all of our regular Second Take viewers! I feel a bit like Rob, I don't want to get all Lifetime on ya either. It means a lot to me to have people watch and respond to our videos (Even the guys that liked to call me a 'console-loving noob'... I mean in addition to Rob). So thanks again!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Flash games?!
We spend thousands of Pounds / Dollars to achieve the best possible gaming experiences and they think we want Flash games?

Good luck to you both.

G

Will wait for a link to somewhere else where ever you end up then all of tom links will go that will include techvoice as well. No more honest reviews and second take!!!

Good luck guys. I hope you enjoy your new home.

Magnus

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Will my i7 and 2x 4870X2 be able to run flash games? ;)

Shame that "Best"of Media don't value their own brand and are dumbing down Tom's. Ho hum.

Best of luck to Rob and Travis. If you pop down to The Other, I'm sure Wingy can guarantee you a "happy ending"... ;)

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Rob, Travis, Ben,

Thanks for all the content you have given us. Please let us know in one way or another where you guys wind up next. I presume you guys will try and stay in the game journalism scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.