Closed

Open Letter to Tom's Games Readers

Article by Rob Wright and Travis Meacham.

Rob and Travis bid farewell to Tom's Games and thank the readers for all their time, feedback and participation.

158 answers Last reply
More about open letter games readers
  1. Sad to see that. Best of luck.
  2. jay_l_a said:
    Sad to see that. Best of luck.

Gracias, Jay. In the immortal words of Gloria Gainer, "I Will Survive."
  3. Wait a minute... let me see if I understand this. Tom's Games is getting rid of their movie and gaming reviews sections, written by guys who actually care about quality and aren't just teenage rabid fanboys, and are replacing them with... Turd Tetris? (Yes, "Debris" or "Dabris" literally lets you stack falling geometric pieces of crap.) This is the "cutting edge" site they want?

That's just plain sad.

Good luck Rob and Travis.
  4. robwright said:
    Article by Rob Wright and Travis Meacham.

Rob and Travis bid farewell to Tom's Games and thank the readers for all their time, feedback and participation.

sounds like the new site is going to suck. sorry to see you go. If you need a writer for your next project, shoot me a mail.
  5. misterp couldn't have said it better.

This is just disappointing, i have always enjoyed reading your reviews, not only did you know what you were talking about but you went into great detail about...well everything.

Im sorry to see this happening, and i wish you the best of luck
  6. Second Take was THE replacement I found for gamespot's on the spot, which I had stopped watching after they fired Jeff Gerstmann for not giving a good game score to the site's sponsor game Kane & Lynch.
    Jeff went on to make Giant Bomb, took staff with him, but it's too console oriented for me. Now I'm pretty much left without anything to watch.

Too bad.. Good luck Travis and Rob, you'll do fine elsewhere. I hope Ben will be OK too. Let us know where you're going afterwards, be it through PM or whatever.

Good luck Best of Media: You'll need it. I too think it's a bad move, I (we?) don't need another site clamped with time wasters, but I'm honestly hoping you'll find enough visitors.
  7. ridiculous....i won't be back to tomsgames if all i can find here is **** flash games lmao.
    i hope you guys will start a new gaming review site, one where you will call the shots.
    cheers and good luck.
  8. Good luck to you guys. It's the same for me as Nicae said almost. I really loved following Second Take since it's one of the few features on the 'net these days that'll critically look at the industry and more importantly, stick up for PC gamers.

I'd really like to follow any more writing you do Rob because I like where you went with the PC side and really agreed with it all. Please let us know if you find another writing job.

Sincerely,
    -A mournful Second Take watcher
  9. Good luck. The reason I originally came to tomsgames was because of the reviews. I know I don't post much, but I've been reading for a while. If you guys start up another site, please drop us a line. Once again, best of luck to you guys.
  10. Terrible.....
    Flash games??? Like theres not enough of those already. If feel the same way I felt when Jeff got fired from Gamespot. Never returned to that site and I guess theres no reason to return to this one either.
    I know thats not how real life works, but if you guys could join Jeff and his crew at Giant Bomb and be responsible for the PC section that would be sweeeeet.
    Sad to see you go.
  11. Hmmm...plans for a major transition followed by the resignation of those who do the best work....

Hopefully you guys will move on to bigger and better things. I enjoyed your work and I wish you the best!
  12. Wow that is lame, where the hell am I going to go for honest reviews now IGN (ha ha). Well if your guys are no longer involved I hope the "new toms game's" bombs so bad that it gives the CEO of best of media cancer. Best of luck to you guys if you start a new site it will definitely be part of my daily browsing.
  13. Unbeliveable, SecondTake and the Reviews was my whole reason for visiting the site. I won't be coming back...

Best of luck to you guys; looking forward to seeing what's next!
  14. It was really a blast doing reviews, second-opinions, interviews, etc. at Tom's Games and I'm going to miss the site as well. I really wish things were different, I think we all had our goals set to growing Tom's Games into one of the most trusted gaming sites out there. I cannot even tell you how hard we emphasized playing through games from start to finish before reviewing them, and we always took our time afterwards to ponder and discuss to make the best judgement call on final scores.

Kevin, Devin, and I will still be doing news at Tom's Guides, and we may begin doing some gaming news posts down the road to at least keep some gaming stuff around. Content however is pretty much nuked, and as you've seen Games is now a flash games portal.

Anyways, I would also like to say thanks to everyone for the support, and like you all I also wish Rob and Travis the best of luck. They're fantastic guys that I consider personal friends, and I plan on staying in touch with them for years to come.
  15. Seriously,

Why will anyone care what `Tom's Games' has if you guys aren't doing the secondtake and all that? We don't want to read about `best of' FLASH games. Those are stupid. They are for your grandma and little sister. Who's wrinkly old balls are being massaged with this gay fest?

Best of luck to you guys as you move on. Tom's will see a major decline is the traffic meter as you guys move on. Maybe they'll try to pick up new unique IP hits via some google flash crap that spams people's emails and installs gay tool bars with trojans.

*sigh*

Very best,
  16. To Ben, Rob, and Travis you will be missed. You have done an excellent job and we all will keep our fingers crossed hoping that we can see some more of your future content elsewhere.

I'm really disappointed in Toms Hardware. Toms Games was one of the best parts of the site, if not the best. Not being able to watch Second Take and no longer being able to read truly good unbiased reviews is a shame.

Flash games... wtf?

Best regards,
    Former Second Take fan
  17. roethle said:
    Wow that is lame, where the hell am I going to go for honest reviews now IGN (ha ha). Well if your guys are no longer involved I hope the "new toms game's" bombs so bad that it gives the CEO of best of media cancer. Best of luck to you guys if you start a new site it will definitely be part of my daily browsing.

We appreciate the note. Believe me, nobody is more disappointed than Travis, Ben and I, but let's not wish cancer on anybody, especially our former co-workers. As the saying goes, "this isn't personal, it's business."

We had a great time working on this site, and it's sad to see it end. But just knowing that we reached even a few people that read our stuff and cared about the site has pretty much made my day (I almost wrote "it was the best Christmas present I could ask for," but let's not turn this into a Lifetime made-for-TV movie, okay). So from everyone at Tom's Games, thanks.
  18. Thanks to all of our regular Second Take viewers! I feel a bit like Rob, I don't want to get all Lifetime on ya either. It means a lot to me to have people watch and respond to our videos (Even the guys that liked to call me a 'console-loving noob'... I mean in addition to Rob). So thanks again!
  19. Flash games?!
    We spend thousands of Pounds / Dollars to achieve the best possible gaming experiences and they think we want Flash games?

Good luck to you both.
  20. Good luck guys, and thanks for all the hard "work" you've done!
  21. Will wait for a link to somewhere else where ever you end up then all of tom links will go that will include techvoice as well. No more honest reviews and second take!!!

Good luck guys. I hope you enjoy your new home.

Magnus
  22. Will my i7 and 2x 4870X2 be able to run flash games? ;)

Shame that "Best"of Media don't value their own brand and are dumbing down Tom's. Ho hum.

Best of luck to Rob and Travis. If you pop down to The Other, I'm sure Wingy can guarantee you a "happy ending"... ;)
  23. Quote:
    Don't hold back! Let us know what you'd like to see on the site.

How about we all ask for some reviews :)
  24. Rob, Travis, Ben,

Thanks for all the content you have given us. Please let us know in one way or another where you guys wind up next. I presume you guys will try and stay in the game journalism scene?
  25. Thank you for all your work through the years and all the efforts you put out on our account. Like many others, I'll be sad to see you go, especially to be replaced by a flash game portal that few of the previous users will care about. It's a shame that with tom's game one of the best game reveiew site has disappeared. And by 'best' review here, I mean unbiased reviews done by people who have played the full game and have been gaming for a while.
    I don't know if the news makes me bleak or what, but I feel that it is getting harder and harder to get unbiased reviews about medias (games, movies, books...) as most critics now share more or less direct ties with the industry they try to review. This is a depressing acknowledgement that certainly doesn't reflect well on either the industry or the reviewers.
  26. Quote:
    "this isn't personal, it's business."

kinda bs business though!
    its like Microsoft saying they don't want to make windows anymore.
    Or Blizzard deciding to shut down the WOW servers
    Its like General motors saying they are only going to produce electric cars
    Silicon Valley without the silicon - just a valley, a big hole.
    A meat pie with no meat
    Second take and all the game reviews are the ONLY reason i EVER visit toms games, and now the only reason to visit toms hardware is for... well the hardware, BUT IM NOT GOING FOR TOM! - i dont even know any toms!!!

all they are going to get is very young kids who only play dodgy flash games - not all of them are dodgy, but a good 99.99% of them are, so if your ready for the 7,8,9&10 year olds to spam your forum - cool. but the people who actually know what they are talking about, the people who are actually of value to the community here are going to leave because you no longer have anything to offer them.

the only person i can now rely on is Yahtzee from Zero punctuation for my game reviews!!! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/472-Sonic-Unleashed

Travis, Rob and Ben, you will be missed.
  27. llama_man said:

Let's open a new topic for that and keep this one for the sake of mourning what's come to pass.
  28. Forum acting up again, can't modify my own post (synchronisation probably)

llama_man said:

Let's open a new topic for that and keep this one for the sake of mourning what's come to pass.

*edit* O wait that topic already exists
  29. WTF :o
    That's not what I wanted for Xmas this year.
    Tom's Games has been one of my favourite sites, and thats all because Ben, Rob and Travis writing and the excellent Second-Take.
    Really hope things work out for you guys and hopefully we all can enjoy your stuff on another web-page.

May you all, Ben, Rob and Travis have a merry xmas and a happy new year.

Best regards
    Ivan
  30. Damn it.. I can't play flash games at work! (I can, but uhh.. I don't want to)

I think you're in the Steam group, if not, get in!

Now where will I go? IGN? Gamespot? Gametrailers? (oh gawd, good for vids, but that's about it).

Good luck guys in whatever's next for you.
  31. Perhaps Rob, Travis, Ben will start there own site so we can all enjoy shows like Second Take. Meh I'm grasping at straws here, Second Take was the highlight of the week, every Friday lunch time I would watch that show. It made a nice break from having to worry about work things even if it was only 10 minutes.

I wish BestOfMedia were honest and admit that they are changing to the site to make more money or that the credit crunch/recession has forced them to take this action, I would have a lot more time for the editors if they did.
  32. Rob and Tom

Please make your own site, even if it is just to post videos every now and again that we can watch.

Second take was one of my favorite things of the week. When I say favorite things, I mean including outside of the net!

I was one of the viewers who would be checking the site crazily waiting for the new video to post, and would check a few times a day just to see if you had posted.

This really really sucks.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Cheers,

Phil
  33. Wow this really blows. Don't know what I'm gonna do without 'second take.' Legitimate voices in the gaming world are being stiffled and everything is going corporate. Wah!
  34. bluntsky said:
    Wow this really blows. Don't know what I'm gonna do without 'second take.' Legitimate voices in the gaming world are being stiffled and everything is going corporate. Wah!

Amen to that, Bluntsky. It is a very sad day today, as I must remove the Tom's Games link from my FF browser. Farewell Rob, and farewell Travis. Second Take will be sorely missed.
  35. casach06 said:
    To Ben, Rob, and Travis you will be missed. You have done an excellent job and we all will keep our fingers crossed hoping that we can see some more of your future content elsewhere.

I'm really disappointed in Toms Hardware. Toms Games was one of the best parts of the site, if not the best. Not being able to watch Second Take and no longer being able to read truly good unbiased reviews is a shame.

Flash games... wtf?

Best regards,
    Former Second Take fan

I was going to say just that...second take was a damn good time. And no one goes to toms games for little flash games...as so aptly put...wtf?

The most important thing about toms games was that it provided BY FAR the most honest reviews available. Something that made it well distiguished among the plethora of review sites. It dared to do the unthinkable and give an average game an average score, then break down why it got an average score so that if the things that ranked it lower didn't matter to someone they could still make a good informed decision.

I guess now all we're left with...again...is game review sites that tell us how increadibly awesome every single game they review is...and slap each one with a 9 or 10.

I thuroughly enjoyed your trio efforts, best of luck and hopefully we can follow your work again at some point soon.

Seriously though...flash games?!?! I kept on thinking this was some kind of new years joke similar to april fools or something but I can't find precedence for it. It makes no sense at all.
  36. It`s the worst present the site fans would ever have for Christmas, It isn`t only a shame but also a huge deception for everybody, specially cause the weeky video show "Second Take", whose been the best game reviews of it`s time.

I wish good luck for Rob. Ben and Travis, and they at least shoud follow the ST on te THG.

Regards and Merry Christmass,
    Paulo Mauricio
  37. Nice to hear that we'll be missed.

In order to keep in touch with the people we entertained, we've created an email address. Send us a note at robtravisben AT gmail DOT com and we'll collect your email addresses so we can sell th-- er... I mean contact you about future endeavors. That way when we need to unleash the Armies of Darkness or create a street team for a new site we have somewhere to start.
  38. stemnin said:
    Damn it.. I can't play flash games at work! (I can, but uhh.. I don't want to)

I think you're in the Steam group, if not, get in!

Now where will I go? IGN? Gamespot? Gametrailers? (oh gawd, good for vids, but that's about it).

Good luck guys in whatever's next for you.

There's Kotaku and shacknews.

Even though shacknews has gone down a bit of late and the things that made that site a gem aren't there anymore (pretty much non-exsistant replay couch, the short stint of shackers, and there's no more shackcast) they don't have the feel of complete sell out and a game site that is set up as one complete advertisement.

It's just that these sites don't have Second take or consistant game reviews that aren't based on how much the game studio/publisher has paid you to give it a good review.

EDIT:^ Travis, I really hope you guys pull something together. You guys can do it and I hope you find a way.

(Signing up for the Army of Darkness!)

P.S. You guys should make a montage of the best moments in second take kinda video. And have a firing squad instead of the hammer for Bioshock, for all the new games with the same DRM as your final blowout.
  39. Good luck guys, thanks for what you did! Hope it's not over!

RIP tomsgames
  40. NarwhaleAu said:
    Rob and Tom

Please make your own site, even if it is just to post videos every now and again that we can watch.

I was one of the viewers who would be checking the site crazily waiting for the new video to post, and would check a few times a day just to see if you had posted.

I was the same way. I finally figured out that new videos usually posted on thursday's and I would spend all morning constantly checking the site until it appeared. I am really going to miss second take.

Have you guys even looked at the new site??? the first game listed on it when I checked it out was called "Paris dress up" as in Paris Hilton. LAME!!! What FPS gamer is going to going to want to play that??? Instead of trying to reach a new fanbase by completely alienating the one you have, maybe you should figure out how to INCREASE the one you already have.

To Ben, Rob, and Travis.

Following along with the theme here, I hope you do start your own site of gaming news and reviews. I really enjoyed reading all the reviews you posted. That being said, it did seem like reviews were getting few and far beteen at the end and now I see why. A new site with daily updates ran by all of you at the old and better Tom's games would certaintly gain a large ortion of those who were just lost.

I do realize that starting your own site at the moment might not be possible but you will (I assume) be getting other jobs. Please let us know where that will be so we can all enjoy reading your columns once again. Your talents in this area would be a terrible thing to waste. Best wishes to you all and have a Very Merry Christmas and my God bless you as your life turns over a new page.

We will miss you greatly,
    Adam
  41. Well Tom's games just lost another customer... See you guys... :(
  42. I can't believe that.
    That was pretty much the only to-take-serious and grown up gaming website out there.

Once again the world has been dumbed down a bit more.
  43. Well, I guess things change all the time and not always the way we would like. I would like to say goodbye Rob and Travis and I am sorry the business didn’t make sense for Tom’s. This was the only site that I have ever bothered to post to. Good luck and best wishes guys.

It is interesting to hear about the Jeff at gamespot because I did notice that the sight had ceased to be very relevant to me and I couldn’t figure out why.

If someone figures out where to go next for good pc games info post it soon because I don’t expect to be back to Tom’s Games.

Sadly,
    Foe
  44. Harsh and very unfortunate, from my point of view anyway.

Rob, Travis, Ben - absolutely the best of luck with whatever future endeavors await!

I thoroughly enjoyed Second Take, including the DRM perspective in particular and not letting hype completely outweigh other important issues to many gamers. Certainly there must be another home (perhaps even better) for such editorial/commentary/discussion of similar format!

Take care.
  45. A sad day indeed. As I was reading the new direction my first thought was that hopefully nothing was going to happen to you guys (Ben, Rob and Tavis), but alas I received bad news as I read further and saw the open letter. I wish you all the very best of luck and agree that wherever you end up to please drop a note to us on here and we will follow. Hope your holidays fair well guys.

Best,

3Ball
  46. I personally wish Best of Media all the best with their new direction. And a giant congratulations to them for this. Because of this, they're a shoe in for the 'How ****ing Lame Is That?' award that will be handed out whenever I get around to it.

Seriously though, you guys didn't deserve to be replaced by such tripe. But on the bright side, BoM will probably receive a huge jump in ad revenue now that they cater to the hentai flash games crowd. Love the /adult/ section by the way. Its stellar. No really.
  47. I blame it all on the Apple loving success of Toms Guides.

Those Apple users really love there flash games, considering thats about the only games they can play.
  48. agree w/ most everything said here. Flash games are like light beer to your intelligent stout. One is good and the other, well...

Time to reach into your six-demon bag, drink the magic potion and feel invincible. Waltz in and out like the wind.

As you go on to hopefully better things, remember to never drive faster than you can see and that it's all in the reflexes.

I look for your return to our world soon.
  49. sojrner said:
    As you go on to hopefully better things, remember to never drive faster than you can see and that it's all in the reflexes.

Very nice Jack! lol

Best,

3Ball
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Video Games