Web Based Newsreader

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi: I asked this question before but never quite got the answer I was
looking for.

For some reason I can't read the messages on the MS Newsgroups with the web
based reader. The messages are there and I can expand the threads but when
I click on the actual message to read it. Nothing.

There must be some setting in IE that is wrong. I would rather not use OE
(as I am doing here), or add another reader to my computer for many reasons.
If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it.

Tony

Hi Tony,

You may need to reinstall the scripting engine:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
and get version 5.6 and install it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tony" <tony000_0@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi: I asked this question before but never quite got the answer I was
> looking for.
>
> For some reason I can't read the messages on the MS Newsgroups with the
> web based reader. The messages are there and I can expand the threads but
> when I click on the actual message to read it. Nothing.
>
> There must be some setting in IE that is wrong. I would rather not use OE
> (as I am doing here), or add another reader to my computer for many
> reasons. If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it.
>
> Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hello Rick: Thanks for the suggestion. I loaded the scripting engine and
it partly imporoved the situation. Now I can read the help page which I
could not before, but I am still not able to get the messages to open. They
expand but will not open.

I still get the yellow shield with error on page at the bottom.

I am using Win XP Pro sp2. Any other suggestions?

Tony

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> You may need to reinstall the scripting engine:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
> and get version 5.6 and install it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Tony" <tony000_0@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi: I asked this question before but never quite got the answer I was
> > looking for.
> >
> > For some reason I can't read the messages on the MS Newsgroups with the
> > web based reader. The messages are there and I can expand the threads but
> > when I click on the actual message to read it. Nothing.
> >
> > There must be some setting in IE that is wrong. I would rather not use OE
> > (as I am doing here), or add another reader to my computer for many
> > reasons. If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it.
> >
> > Tony

Yeah, here's a suggestion: Why not use a 'real' newsreader instead of that
kludgy web interface? You've got one on your computer already: Outlook
Express. Once you start using a dedicated newsreader, any dedicated
newsreader, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with the kludgy web
interface. To borrow from the beer commercial: "Come out of the cold, and
into the bold."
--
Ted Zieglar

"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Rick: Thanks for the suggestion. I loaded the scripting engine
and
> it partly imporoved the situation. Now I can read the help page which I
> could not before, but I am still not able to get the messages to open.
They
> expand but will not open.
>
> I still get the yellow shield with error on page at the bottom.
>
> I am using Win XP Pro sp2. Any other suggestions?
>
> Tony
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> > You may need to reinstall the scripting engine:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
> > and get version 5.6 and install it.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Tony" <tony000_0@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi: I asked this question before but never quite got the answer I
was
> > > looking for.
> > >
> > > For some reason I can't read the messages on the MS Newsgroups with
the
> > > web based reader. The messages are there and I can expand the threads
but
> > > when I click on the actual message to read it. Nothing.
> > >
> > > There must be some setting in IE that is wrong. I would rather not
use OE
> > > (as I am doing here), or add another reader to my computer for many
> > > reasons. If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it.
> > >
> > > Tony

Tony posted using OE, Ted.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> Yeah, here's a suggestion: Why not use a 'real' newsreader instead of that
> kludgy web interface? You've got one on your computer already: Outlook
> Express. Once you start using a dedicated newsreader, any dedicated
> newsreader, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with the kludgy web
> interface. To borrow from the beer commercial: "Come out of the cold, and
> into the bold."
>
> "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Rick: Thanks for the suggestion. I loaded the scripting engine
>> and it partly imporoved the situation. Now I can read the help page
>> which
>> I could not before, but I am still not able to get the messages to open.
>> They expand but will not open.
>>
>> I still get the yellow shield with error on page at the bottom.
>>
>> I am using Win XP Pro sp2. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Tony
>>
>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tony,
>>>
>>> You may need to reinstall the scripting engine:
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
>>> and get version 5.6 and install it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Tony" <tony000_0@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Are you starting here?...

http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Tony wrote:
> Hi: I asked this question before but never quite got the answer I was
> looking for.
>
> For some reason I can't read the messages on the MS Newsgroups with the
> web
> based reader. The messages are there and I can expand the threads but
> when
> I click on the actual message to read it. Nothing.
>
> There must be some setting in IE that is wrong. I would rather not use OE
> (as I am doing here), or add another reader to my computer for many
> reasons.
> If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it.
>
> Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

No I'm starting at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers&lang=en&cr=US

When I use the link you listed and try to click on the Web News Reader link
it attempts to download instead of opening. If I change to MS IE, I get an
error message that IE can't open the page.

I have a laptop running the same programs and it is ok. When I compare the
settings of the two computers they are the same.

I'm using OE for this but I find it is not as convenient for me as the web
based reader.

Tony

> Are you starting here?...
>
> http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
>
> Tony wrote:
>> Hi: I asked this question before but never quite got the answer I was
>> looking for.
>>
>> For some reason I can't read the messages on the MS Newsgroups with the
>> web
>> based reader. The messages are there and I can expand the threads but
>> when
>> I click on the actual message to read it. Nothing.
>>
>> There must be some setting in IE that is wrong. I would rather not use
>> OE
>> (as I am doing here), or add another reader to my computer for many
>> reasons.
>> If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Tony

Gordon

Tony wrote:

> I'm using OE for this but I find it is not as convenient for me as
> the web based reader.

Most people find it the other way around - OE is far more convenient than
the web interface!