WRT54GS Local IP not changing

wj

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I just got a Linksys WRT54GS router. I'm trying to change the local device
IP. I can change it to 192.168.1.2 and other IPs in 192.168.1.x range.

But if I try to change it to, say, 192.168.2.1, I can never connect to it
again, although it says settings are successful.

I'm doing this so I can run two routers. I have an older BEFSR41 that will
run under it. I ended up having to change the IP of this device to
192.168.2.1. It worked fine.

Anybody else have any issues like this, with the local IP address of the
device?

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:42:48 -0700, WJ spoketh

>I just got a Linksys WRT54GS router. I'm trying to change the local device
>IP. I can change it to 192.168.1.2 and other IPs in 192.168.1.x range.
>
>But if I try to change it to, say, 192.168.2.1, I can never connect to it
>again, although it says settings are successful.
>
>I'm doing this so I can run two routers. I have an older BEFSR41 that will
>run under it. I ended up having to change the IP of this device to
>192.168.2.1. It worked fine.
>
>Anybody else have any issues like this, with the local IP address of the
>device?

Are you also changing the IP of your computer in the process? If you
change the IP on the router, you'll have to ensure that the IP on your
computer is on the same subnet to be able to communicate.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

wj

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Thanks Lars. That fixed it. One thing puzzles me, though. I did the same
thing on my BESFR41, changing only the default gateway, and it worked fine.

So I have a cable modem going to a WRT54GS. The WRT54GS has a Windows 2000
machine behind it and the BESFR41.
The BESFR41 has a Windows 2003 machine behind it. On the W03 box, when I
change the routers IP to 192.168.2.1, I only changed the gateway.
Windows warned me that the gateway was on a differnt IP than that defined by
the machine IP and subnet, but I could connect to it anyway, even
closing the IE window and re-opening it.

Thanks again for your help.

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:42:48 -0700, WJ spoketh
>
> >I just got a Linksys WRT54GS router. I'm trying to change the local
device
> >IP. I can change it to 192.168.1.2 and other IPs in 192.168.1.x range.
> >
> >But if I try to change it to, say, 192.168.2.1, I can never connect to it
> >again, although it says settings are successful.
> >
> >I'm doing this so I can run two routers. I have an older BEFSR41 that
will
> >run under it. I ended up having to change the IP of this device to
> >192.168.2.1. It worked fine.
> >
> >Anybody else have any issues like this, with the local IP address of the
> >device?
> >

> Are you also changing the IP of your computer in the process? If you
> change the IP on the router, you'll have to ensure that the IP on your
> computer is on the same subnet to be able to communicate.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net
> Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
> "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Remember, when you change your IP via the router's config menu, you
sometimes have to type the new IP address in the browser's address window
for it to reconnect with the new IP in place.