What type of DVD blank do I use to burn a DVD?

I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS XP. I
did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and can't
find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's. I
vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you could buy
for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
package of blanks to copy onto?

You can download a User's Guide here:

Toshiba Technical Support Center
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp

or

Ask IRIS online
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_askIris.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Katie the new user" wrote:

| I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS XP. I
| did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and can't
| find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's. I
| vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you could buy
| for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
| package of blanks to copy onto?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Katie the new user" <Katie the new user@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
>I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS
>XP. I
> did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and
> can't
> find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's.
> vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you
> could buy
> for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
> package of blanks to copy onto?

A good place to find specs on your computer is from the manufacturer.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=SMB&coid=-27931&sel=0&rcid=-26367&ccid=1291021

A couple of the models mention a DVD-SuperMulti drive (which is a DVD
burner drive). You can go to
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp to select a
download of the manual for your notebook but you'll have to be more
specific than just "A75". It is a *Satellite* first for the product
line, "A75" for the family line, and then you'll need to know the
submodel for whatever you have. Since you didn't mention the full
description to identify that particular notebook that you have, I picked
the most expensive one that listed a DVD burner, which was the Satellite
A75-S2311 and found a download of its user guide at
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_docTOC.jsp?moid=882435&ct=UG&soid=731463&BV_SessionID=@@@@1340938668.1105307141@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadddiejjhdecgfkceghdgngdgnj.0
(hey, I'm not the idiot at Toshiba designing their web site with
ridiculously long path and names). I glanced at the manual, didn't see
it mentioning DVD burning, but then it's your notebook so you can read
that stuff for yourself.

The only info I found on their web site on a search of "DVD SuperMulti"
was at
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=287877&coid=-26683&ccid=1291043&rcid=-26364&seg=SMB.
It says it supports both DVD-R and DVD+R.

E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

Buy DVD+R blanks. DVD-R blanks are junk, garbage soon they will be obsolete
and not sold anymore. Over time the plastic and metal strips will chemically
react destroying all DVD-R discs. Take my advice don't listen to these
idiots professing the compatibility issue to do with dvd players buy DVD+R
blanks you'll thank me in time.
"Katie the new user" <Katie the new user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:89F5433F-54F7-440B-AF1B-2AEF3CB9A5D1@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS XP.
> did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and
> can't
> find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's. I
> vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you could
> buy
> for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
> package of blanks to copy onto?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If I was her I would believe the manufacturer's recommendations before
someone expressing an opinion on the web.

"Enzo Stuarte" <homeland@security.com> wrote in message
> Buy DVD+R blanks. DVD-R blanks are junk, garbage soon they will be
> obsolete and not sold anymore. Over time the plastic and metal strips will
> chemically react destroying all DVD-R discs. Take my advice don't listen
> to these idiots professing the compatibility issue to do with dvd players
> buy DVD+R blanks you'll thank me in time.
> "Katie the new user" <Katie the new user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:89F5433F-54F7-440B-AF1B-2AEF3CB9A5D1@microsoft.com...
>>I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS XP.
>> did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and
>> can't
>> find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's. I
>> vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you could
>> buy
>> for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
>> package of blanks to copy onto?

Which model of the A75 do you have? There are S206, S229, S209 etc. Some of
them come with a DVD reader/CD-RW combo and some come with a DVD writer. The
model will help us tell you which media you can burn to if any.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Katie the new user" <Katie the new user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:89F5433F-54F7-440B-AF1B-2AEF3CB9A5D1@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS XP.
> did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and
> can't
> find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's. I
> vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you could
> buy
> for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
> package of blanks to copy onto?

Byte

Reading the initial post, I'm not even sure if she has a DVD burner. She may
only have a DVD player and not a burner on that laptop.

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> Which model of the A75 do you have? There are S206, S229, S209 etc. Some of
> them come with a DVD reader/CD-RW combo and some come with a DVD writer. The
> model will help us tell you which media you can burn to if any.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Katie the new user" <Katie the new user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:89F5433F-54F7-440B-AF1B-2AEF3CB9A5D1@microsoft.com...
> >I just bought a new TOSHIBA A75 notebook that came loaded with WINDOWS XP.
> > did not get an OEM Manual that should have come with this notebook and
> > can't
> > find information on what type of blank I should use for burning DVD's. I
> > vaguely recall something about a plus or minus type of format you could
> > buy
> > for the blank DVD's. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I buy a
> > package of blanks to copy onto?

"Enzo Stuarte" <homeland@security.com> wrote in message
| Buy DVD+R blanks. DVD-R blanks are junk, garbage soon they will be
obsolete
| and not sold anymore. Over time the plastic and metal strips will
chemically
| react destroying all DVD-R discs. Take my advice don't listen to these
| idiots professing the compatibility issue to do with dvd players buy DVD+R
| blanks you'll thank me in time.
| "Katie the new user" <Katie the new user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
| message news:89F5433F-54F7-440B-AF1B-

It's a simple fact that standalone DVD players, especially ones more than a
year or so old, are much more likely to be compatible with -R than with +.