NumberCruncher

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Can it be done? I have tried searching everwhere for an answer to my questions and I have found some, but I have these that remain unanswered...

What voltage will my 6VMML (PLE133) detect this CPU at and is it likely to fry the chip? And what is this 1.25V I keep reading about? Are we now at tri-plane voltage procs?

WTF is this whole AGTL+ vs AGTL thing? What actually changed on the mobo? Can I flash my PLE133 board with a PLE133T BIOS to reach compliance, since the boards seem identical?

I already bought the chip like a moron, so now I need to know if I am going to throw down another 70 bucks for a compliant mobo.

Thanx in advance...

NC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WTF is the 6VMML? Nevermind, I actually looked it up! The nerve of some people needing information on an obscure board and not providing the manufacturer name...

Anyway, it should work OK. You'll need a FC-PGA to Tualatin socket adapter, Upgradeware carries such an animal, it's available for $30 from their U.S. distributor.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

NumberCruncher

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Sorry... Didn't realize that knowing the Mfr. in this case would help.

So if a socket adapter will work, does that mean my only concern is voltage? Is this whole AGTL thing a bunch of smoke?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, a bunch of smoke, all the socket adapters work on the basis of rewiring a few pins. If your board is compatable with Coppermine core CPUs (PIII's and Celerons from 566MHz up, all were FC-PGA) then voltage is no longer a concern either. But then there's bus speed. Also, I don't think the adapters work with "PPGA Only" boards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Never mind that last thing I said as your board IS PIII compatable, I just remembered. So the Upgradeware adapter will work. It cost $30 in the U.S. from <A HREF="http://www.strattoncomputer.com/" target="_new">Stranton Computer</A>.

NumberCruncher

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
I have 3 of the older Powerleap IPL/3 adapters... I would assume I can rewire one of those to provide proper voltage?

I tried just plugging the proc into the board (at 66FSB just in case voltage was too high) and got nothing. Hopefully it didn't fry the die...

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
No offence dude but you are pretty stupid to do something like that. Crash just told you exactly what you needed to know and you went and most likely killed the CPU anyway. People like you should not be allowed to work on the hardware part of computers.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just told you that voltage is not a concern at all on that board. Tualatin processors were rewired so they wouldn't power up AT ALL on earlier equipement. I don't care what older equipement you try to use, it won't help, and has nothing to do with voltage.

The pins Intel rewired were mostly VSS pins. Meaning that they were redundant pins on the earlier boards. The Tualatin can sense whether or not a certain pin is a VSS pin, and refuse power to the core based on that. You didn't burn the thing, because your CPU wouldn't fire up. And it won't.

You don't need a Powerleap adapter, with it's onboard voltage adapter, the voltage adapter is only needed for very early boards much earlier than yours.

The cheaper brand name adapter is available at Stratton Computer <A HREF="http://www.strattoncomputer.com/370gusoc370a.html" target="_new">CLICK HERE to see it</A>. It cost $30. There is an even cheaper Chinese version available on eBay for around $15, and there is the more expensive Upgradeware version (newer than yours) with the onboard VRM which you don't need and shouldn't have to pay for since you DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT VOLTAGE ON YOUR BOARD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
While a burned CPU would add a bit of levity to this thread after all this discussion, it's unfortunately impossible as the Tualatin core detects one of it's new pins as connected to VSS instead of power_good and refuses to allow any current to pass through the core.

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
My mistake. Pity. Though it was still a pretty silly thing to do after what you had told him.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

NumberCruncher

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
You have to read carefully...

"I tried just sticking the proc in"
versus
"I just tried sticking the proc in"

I tried it before Crashman's response, and in fact I have since ordered an upgrade socket like he suggested.

I went into it knowing full well that I might fry the chip and be out a couple hundred dollars. Once I get the socket, I am going to overclock the thing and maybe kill it that way. Every CPU I have have ever owned has been OC'd, many severly, and I have never fried one yet.

But I have been tweaking for speed since the days of the 25MHz procs and tinkering with hardware since the days when an Apple IIGS was the best thing going. So what exactly do you mean by "people like me" when referring to those who shouldn't be allowed near computers?

Crashman - Thanx again, I ended up going for a bit of brand loyalty and buying the latest Powerleap socket adapter ($25). I was impressed by their PL-IP3 back when, so hopefully they are still as good.

TRENDING THREADS