Install SP2 problem now no Control Panel

January 10, 2005 1:26:51 AM

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP1 and, after a lot of persuasion from colleagues, I
eventually decided to take the plunge. I reinstalled my OS from the
recovery disc (the laptop's about 3 months old) and installed McAfee
VirusScan. I'm on ADSL behind a router.

I am the sole user of the laptop and have a single account which has all
capabilities. I used this, rather than THE Administrator account. I went
to the Windows Update site from Start>All Programs and let it install the
smaller updates. I rebooted and then allowed it to download SP2. The
Install Wizard started and halted about half way through when it was running
the processes. I waited for 3 hours and nothing. I tried CAD without any
response. I waited another 45 minutes and then hit the power button as CAD
remained ineffective.

When I tried to reboot, it said that XP2 hadn't been installed fully and the
system was unstable. I was instructed to remove it via the Control Panel.
When I tried to access Control Panel, it threw up an error saying that
Windows Explorer had to close (with apologies!). I tried again and
eventually resorted to Safe Mode from which I could access the Control Panel
to delete SP2. Success!

I rebooted to normal mode but noticed two things - still no access to
Control Panel and the Network Connections that I had set up weren't there.

I think I've explained everything. Anyone any idea what's happened and how
I can get around it? I'm happy to reinstall the OS but am very concerned
because this may happen again. If I don't know what went wrong, how can I
prevent it happening again? I must admit that this experience has put me
off SP2, even though I know many folks who have installed it without any
problems.

Thanks for your time.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:26:52 AM

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Chat.
You can get no charge Windows XP SP2 support here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=Wxpsp2chat

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Tosca" wrote:

| Hi everyone
|
| I have XP Pro SP1 and, after a lot of persuasion from colleagues, I
| eventually decided to take the plunge. I reinstalled my OS from the
| recovery disc (the laptop's about 3 months old) and installed McAfee
| VirusScan. I'm on ADSL behind a router.
|
| I am the sole user of the laptop and have a single account which has all
| capabilities. I used this, rather than THE Administrator account. I went
| to the Windows Update site from Start>All Programs and let it install the
| smaller updates. I rebooted and then allowed it to download SP2. The
| Install Wizard started and halted about half way through when it was running
| the processes. I waited for 3 hours and nothing. I tried CAD without any
| response. I waited another 45 minutes and then hit the power button as CAD
| remained ineffective.
|
| When I tried to reboot, it said that XP2 hadn't been installed fully and the
| system was unstable. I was instructed to remove it via the Control Panel.
| When I tried to access Control Panel, it threw up an error saying that
| Windows Explorer had to close (with apologies!). I tried again and
| eventually resorted to Safe Mode from which I could access the Control Panel
| to delete SP2. Success!
|
| I rebooted to normal mode but noticed two things - still no access to
| Control Panel and the Network Connections that I had set up weren't there.
|
| I think I've explained everything. Anyone any idea what's happened and how
| I can get around it? I'm happy to reinstall the OS but am very concerned
| because this may happen again. If I don't know what went wrong, how can I
| prevent it happening again? I must admit that this experience has put me
| off SP2, even though I know many folks who have installed it without any
| problems.
|
| Thanks for your time.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:26:52 AM

You must have used a banned serial number when sp2 tried to install.

!