Install SP2 problem now no Control Panel

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP1 and, after a lot of persuasion from colleagues, I
eventually decided to take the plunge. I reinstalled my OS from the
recovery disc (the laptop's about 3 months old) and installed McAfee
VirusScan. I'm on ADSL behind a router.

I am the sole user of the laptop and have a single account which has all
capabilities. I used this, rather than THE Administrator account. I went
to the Windows Update site from Start>All Programs and let it install the
smaller updates. I rebooted and then allowed it to download SP2. The
Install Wizard started and halted about half way through when it was running
the processes. I waited for 3 hours and nothing. I tried CAD without any
response. I waited another 45 minutes and then hit the power button as CAD
remained ineffective.

When I tried to reboot, it said that XP2 hadn't been installed fully and the
system was unstable. I was instructed to remove it via the Control Panel.
When I tried to access Control Panel, it threw up an error saying that
Windows Explorer had to close (with apologies!). I tried again and
eventually resorted to Safe Mode from which I could access the Control Panel
to delete SP2. Success!

I rebooted to normal mode but noticed two things - still no access to
Control Panel and the Network Connections that I had set up weren't there.

I think I've explained everything. Anyone any idea what's happened and how
I can get around it? I'm happy to reinstall the OS but am very concerned
because this may happen again. If I don't know what went wrong, how can I
prevent it happening again? I must admit that this experience has put me
off SP2, even though I know many folks who have installed it without any
problems.

Thanks for your time.
2 answers Last reply
More about install problem control panel

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    Welcome to the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Chat.
    You can get no charge Windows XP SP2 support here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=Wxpsp2chat

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Tosca" wrote:

    | Hi everyone
    |
    | I have XP Pro SP1 and, after a lot of persuasion from colleagues, I
    | eventually decided to take the plunge. I reinstalled my OS from the
    | recovery disc (the laptop's about 3 months old) and installed McAfee
    | VirusScan. I'm on ADSL behind a router.
    |
    | I am the sole user of the laptop and have a single account which has all
    | capabilities. I used this, rather than THE Administrator account. I went
    | to the Windows Update site from Start>All Programs and let it install the
    | smaller updates. I rebooted and then allowed it to download SP2. The
    | Install Wizard started and halted about half way through when it was running
    | the processes. I waited for 3 hours and nothing. I tried CAD without any
    | response. I waited another 45 minutes and then hit the power button as CAD
    | remained ineffective.
    |
    | When I tried to reboot, it said that XP2 hadn't been installed fully and the
    | system was unstable. I was instructed to remove it via the Control Panel.
    | When I tried to access Control Panel, it threw up an error saying that
    | Windows Explorer had to close (with apologies!). I tried again and
    | eventually resorted to Safe Mode from which I could access the Control Panel
    | to delete SP2. Success!
    |
    | I rebooted to normal mode but noticed two things - still no access to
    | Control Panel and the Network Connections that I had set up weren't there.
    |
    | I think I've explained everything. Anyone any idea what's happened and how
    | I can get around it? I'm happy to reinstall the OS but am very concerned
    | because this may happen again. If I don't know what went wrong, how can I
    | prevent it happening again? I must admit that this experience has put me
    | off SP2, even though I know many folks who have installed it without any
    | problems.
    |
    | Thanks for your time.

    You must have used a banned serial number when sp2 tried to install.
    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 and, after a lot of persuasion from colleagues, I
    > eventually decided to take the plunge. I reinstalled my OS from the
    > recovery disc (the laptop's about 3 months old) and installed McAfee
    > VirusScan. I'm on ADSL behind a router.
    >
    > I am the sole user of the laptop and have a single account which has all
    > capabilities. I used this, rather than THE Administrator account. I went
    > to the Windows Update site from Start>All Programs and let it install the
    > smaller updates. I rebooted and then allowed it to download SP2. The
    > Install Wizard started and halted about half way through when it was
    > running
    > the processes. I waited for 3 hours and nothing. I tried CAD without any
    > response. I waited another 45 minutes and then hit the power button as
    > CAD
    > remained ineffective.
    >
    > When I tried to reboot, it said that XP2 hadn't been installed fully and
    > the
    > system was unstable. I was instructed to remove it via the Control Panel.
    > When I tried to access Control Panel, it threw up an error saying that
    > Windows Explorer had to close (with apologies!). I tried again and
    > eventually resorted to Safe Mode from which I could access the Control
    > Panel
    > to delete SP2. Success!
    >
    > I rebooted to normal mode but noticed two things - still no access to
    > Control Panel and the Network Connections that I had set up weren't there.
    >
    > I think I've explained everything. Anyone any idea what's happened and
    > how
    > I can get around it? I'm happy to reinstall the OS but am very concerned
    > because this may happen again. If I don't know what went wrong, how can I
    > prevent it happening again? I must admit that this experience has put me
    > off SP2, even though I know many folks who have installed it without any
    > problems.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

Control Panel Windows XP