drednox

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
what is n-force 2 ?

i thought it was a main board made by nvidia that had everything pertaining to multimedia integrated into it (ie: vid card and sound card). since i hate the boards with integrated stuff in em (since usually its outdated, weak and cant be turned off liek the manufacturers say it can)i completely brushed it aside and never gave it any 2nd glance.

now someone told me that nforce is a chipset for main boards made by nvidia. is this correct ?

if so do these boards have integrated nvidia cards or video in em etc. ?

i have seen some gaiming benchmarks from nforce and viaKT400, and the nforce has a very clear advantage in them.

i am still undecided if i am going to go intel or AMD, however if i do go AMD, and since my rig will be mainly for gaming, would nforce chipset (if its a chipset) be the way to go ?

if so which nforce boards are the good ones and why ?

also would an nforce boared be optimized for nvidia vid cards ? or do they work well with others such as ATI ?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by drednox on 03/12/03 00:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Yes... for AMD go Nforce 2 to take advantage of the dual DDR so you can max your memory bandwidth and overclocking abilities.. unquestionable...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Nforce2 MBs are great MBs.
There are 2 north bridges and 2 south bridges available.
One north bridge, the IGP, has intergrated video (GF4 MX). And the SPP does not.
Both south bridges have intergrated sound, but the MCP-T (supports Dolby 5.1 encoding) and is comparable to an audigy2 I believe. The non T usen a 6 channel Realtek ALC650 (or similar) codec. Both can be disabled in BIOS.
As for which NForce2 MB are the good ones, I recomend the MSI K7N2-L. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it has good performace at a good price.
As for the video card any will work. I run a 9700 Pro in mine and it runs w/o problems.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
IGP of nForce2 performs between GF4 MX420 and GF4 MX440 range when equipped with Dual DDR33/DDR400.

MSI K7N2G-ILSR is the best nForce2-IGP board with all available feature. If you don't need so much features and need IGP, then there's cheaper MSI K7N2G-L.

Submit your opinion <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28537#28537" target="_new"> Should Tom Fire Omid? </A>