MB ASUS P4S8X

G

Hi, this MB seems to be perfect (ATA 133/AGP 8X/USB 2.0/LAN integrated/533 FSB/support HT Tech. and PC 2700 memory), my only doubt is chipset SIS 648... have you tried this MB?What is your opinion?Do you know another MB having above same features?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
My friend is running this mobo and it's quite good. There is a bit of a quirk with the ram though in that when you put in 333 ram modules the system bluescreens every boot. My friend was forced to reduce the speed to 266. I don't know if a new bios flash has fixed this or not, but it's not that big a deal, especially if you use 400 ram... Overall it's a good board for the price and has a good number of features... I would say go for it if you don't wanna spend tons o'money.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

G

Thanks for your info, could you advice another MB with same features(even if more expensive than P4S8X), with intel chipset?
I cannot find it...

Bye

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Use the search engine here. You'll find the P4S8X is garbage. For instance:

Although Asus claims the board supports DDR400, the use of this memory at full speed will likely cause reboots, errors, general instability.

Although the Chipset supports AGP8x, this board won't run stabley at AGP8x on many people's systems. More crashes, etc.

It appears to be a problem with the 648 chipset, and most likely related to the memory controller. Gigabyte is the only company to address these issues, in the 8SG667 and 8SG800. I'm not certain what Gigabyte did to stabilize their board, but evidence points toward a slightly higher chipset voltage.

Like I said, use the search engine. You'll find dozens of complaints about this board. Many people had to change video cards or boards to get their systems to function.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>