lynn

i just installeed XP, had Me. i have no sound. i went to creative labs to get
the driver i needed, i downloaded the sound blaster PCI 128. but still no
sound. i hate not having sound. can you help what am i not seeing.
--
Lynn

Are you sure that there is a Windows XP compatible driver for your exact
model of sound card?

If so: After you downloaded the driver, did you install it?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Lynn" <whoeveryou want@msn.com> wrote in message
> i just installeed XP, had Me. i have no sound. i went to creative labs to
get
> the driver i needed, i downloaded the sound blaster PCI 128. but still no
> sound. i hate not having sound. can you help what am i not seeing.
> --
> Lynn

"Lynn" <whoeveryou want@msn.com> wrote in message
> i just installeed XP, had Me. i have no sound. i went to creative labs to get
> the driver i needed, i downloaded the sound blaster PCI 128. but still no
> sound. i hate not having sound. can you help what am i not seeing.
> --
> Lynn

Should that be "help what I'm not hearing" ? :)

Go to Device Manager and see what is listed in the "audio" devices.....delete
everything that's there. There uninstall the driver programs and utilities
SoundBlaster provides.

Restart system and see if Windows detects the sound card. if it does, it will
either install drivers it already has (it may install basic drivers Windows
provided) or prompt for you to enter the location of specific driver files - so
point to the driver install file you downloaded, or insert the original
Soundblaster CD if it has files supporting XP. (or Win2000 drivers possibly will
work too).

If that goes OK, finish the install and restart again....if that doesn't fix it,
repeat a couple of times. Otherwise I suggest a roll back to Windows
Millennium.

You didn't mention if this was an "upgrade" install (over the top of ME) or a
clean install (formatted/partitioned HDD).

If you had sound with Window ME and it stopped on installing XP I suggest there
is a conflict somewhere.

I'd start over with reinstalling XP from a clean install
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941)

Hope this assists.