File sharing between Win XP Pro

wkadviser

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hi, I have connected my server to the cable modem and also my two computers (both running Win XP Pro) using a crossover cable. My client computer access Internet without problems but neither computer can see each other in the network (they're both in the same workgroup). Both can ping each other by IP but only the client can ping the server by computer name. I am stuck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

thefaresteast

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
only win XP / Pro has this problems. the rest of the MS OS like Win 2000, Win9x and WinNT don't have this problem. why?you might wander. if you look at the other MS OS and compare it with Win XP/ PRO. you will noticed something is missing in the network protocol on each of the computer you have. and that is the NETBEUI protocol. Mircosoft has taken out there own NETBEUI in XP and XP PRO. they will no longer supporting their our and first eng network protocol NETBEUI on all upcoming OS. well, you can place back the NETBEUI manually. but you will be demoralized when you couldn't find it in XP support list. cause it's in the XP CD

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
netbui is a smaller faster alternative for tcp/ip, there is no reason to run both. the reason netbui is gone is it is not routable, works on nothing but broadcasting, and has no tools with it.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal