Initializing/formatting a cd-r!

January 10, 2005 2:21:02 PM

I'm not clear how to do this - any more guidance available?

Tony
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:43:19 PM

I've found 'FileCD' - is this part of Windows XP?

It states clearly in the help thatit can write to cd-r or cd-rw discs - but
when I try Disc - Format it comes back with 'Please insert a cd-rw'.

Any ideas?

TIA

Tony
January 10, 2005 2:53:09 PM

You can format a CD-RW but NOT a CD-R, they are complete different.
It is called packet writing so a CD-RW is just like a second harddrive.
You'll be able to delete, add, change, etc. But not a CD-R, which are mainly
created, and cheaper, to store music, photos, personal files, etc. They
cannot be erased either, so damage them before disposal.

"Telmore" wrote:

> I've found 'FileCD' - is this part of Windows XP?
>
> It states clearly in the help thatit can write to cd-r or cd-rw discs - but
> when I try Disc - Format it comes back with 'Please insert a cd-rw'.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Tony
January 10, 2005 4:47:31 PM

One cannot "Initialize/format a cd-r". You would need a
CD-RW CD and CD-RW drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Telmore" wrote:

| I'm not clear how to do this - any more guidance available?
|
| Tony
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:54:30 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:21:02 -0800, Telmore wrote:

> I'm not clear how to do this - any more guidance available?
>
> Tony

CDR? No formatting needed. What are you using to burn CDs? A particular
program or XP's builtin CD burning feature?

A helpful article about XP burning feature (by Alex Nichols) here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You must be referring to a CD-RW, since a CD-R cannot be formatted. (It is a
'write once' media.)

If you are using third party CD recording software, see the Help file that
comes with the software, or contact the program's technical support.

You can use Windows XP to erase a CD-RW:

"How To Erase Files From a CD-RW Disc in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306641.

You may also find this article helpful:

"Description of CD-R and CD-RW recording in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157
--
Ted Zieglar

"Telmore" <Telmore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not clear how to do this - any more guidance available?
>
> Tony
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:54:37 PM

| You must be referring to a CD-RW, since a CD-R cannot be formatted. (It is
| 'write once' media.)

Only partially correct; packet-writing software can't be used with CD-Rs,
but CD-Rs may be written to more than once (multi-session burning), but only
until its capacity has been reached, then no more writing.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:40:23 PM

And still wrong. You CAN format a CD-R and packet-write to it, only you
can't delete anything....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> kirjoitti viestissä

> | You must be referring to a CD-RW, since a CD-R cannot be formatted. (It
is
> | 'write once' media.)
>
> Only partially correct; packet-writing software can't be used with CD-Rs,
> but CD-Rs may be written to more than once (multi-session burning), but
only
> until its capacity has been reached, then no more writing.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:40:24 PM

It looks like FileCD can only handle cd-rw discs - I'm using NTI CD^DVD MAKER
- also supplied and that seems to be working,

Thanks anyway.

Tony
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:30:59 AM

Byte wrote:
> You can format a CD-RW but NOT a CD-R, they are complete different.
> It is called packet writing so a CD-RW is just like a second
> harddrive. You'll be able to delete, add, change, etc. But not a
> CD-R, which are mainly created, and cheaper, to store music, photos,
> personal files, etc. They cannot be erased either, so damage them
> before disposal.
>
> "Telmore" wrote:
>
>> I've found 'FileCD' - is this part of Windows XP?
>>
>> It states clearly in the help thatit can write to cd-r or cd-rw
>> discs - but when I try Disc - Format it comes back with 'Please
>> insert a cd-rw'.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Tony

Depends on the packet writing software, Roxio Drag to Disk will format both
CDRW, CDR, DVDR and DVDRW. Others will also.
But CDRW disks do not need formatting if used with the XP burning
application or for non-packet writing software application.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com