Initializing/formatting a cd-r!

I'm not clear how to do this - any more guidance available?

Tony
9 answers Last reply
More about initializing formatting

    I've found 'FileCD' - is this part of Windows XP?

    It states clearly in the help thatit can write to cd-r or cd-rw discs - but
    when I try Disc - Format it comes back with 'Please insert a cd-rw'.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Tony

    You can format a CD-RW but NOT a CD-R, they are complete different.
    It is called packet writing so a CD-RW is just like a second harddrive.
    You'll be able to delete, add, change, etc. But not a CD-R, which are mainly
    created, and cheaper, to store music, photos, personal files, etc. They
    cannot be erased either, so damage them before disposal.

    "Telmore" wrote:

    > I've found 'FileCD' - is this part of Windows XP?
    >
    > It states clearly in the help thatit can write to cd-r or cd-rw discs - but
    > when I try Disc - Format it comes back with 'Please insert a cd-rw'.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tony

    One cannot "Initialize/format a cd-r". You would need a
    CD-RW CD and CD-RW drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:21:02 -0800, Telmore wrote:

    > I'm not clear how to do this - any more guidance available?
    >
    > Tony

    CDR? No formatting needed. What are you using to burn CDs? A particular
    program or XP's builtin CD burning feature?

    A helpful article about XP burning feature (by Alex Nichols) here:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    You must be referring to a CD-RW, since a CD-R cannot be formatted. (It is a
    'write once' media.)

    If you are using third party CD recording software, see the Help file that
    comes with the software, or contact the program's technical support.

    You can use Windows XP to erase a CD-RW:

    "How To Erase Files From a CD-RW Disc in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306641.

    You may also find this article helpful:

    "Description of CD-R and CD-RW recording in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    | You must be referring to a CD-RW, since a CD-R cannot be formatted. (It is
    | 'write once' media.)

    Only partially correct; packet-writing software can't be used with CD-Rs,
    but CD-Rs may be written to more than once (multi-session burning), but only
    until its capacity has been reached, then no more writing.

    And still wrong. You CAN format a CD-R and packet-write to it, only you
    can't delete anything....

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> kirjoitti viestissä

    > | You must be referring to a CD-RW, since a CD-R cannot be formatted. (It
    is
    > | 'write once' media.)
    >
    > Only partially correct; packet-writing software can't be used with CD-Rs,
    > but CD-Rs may be written to more than once (multi-session burning), but
    only
    > until its capacity has been reached, then no more writing.

    It looks like FileCD can only handle cd-rw discs - I'm using NTI CD^DVD MAKER
    - also supplied and that seems to be working,

    Thanks anyway.

    Tony

    Byte wrote:
    > You can format a CD-RW but NOT a CD-R, they are complete different.
    > It is called packet writing so a CD-RW is just like a second
    > harddrive. You'll be able to delete, add, change, etc. But not a
    > CD-R, which are mainly created, and cheaper, to store music, photos,
    > personal files, etc. They cannot be erased either, so damage them
    > before disposal.
    >
    > "Telmore" wrote:
    >
    >> I've found 'FileCD' - is this part of Windows XP?
    >>
    >> It states clearly in the help thatit can write to cd-r or cd-rw
    >> discs - but when I try Disc - Format it comes back with 'Please
    >> insert a cd-rw'.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Tony

    Depends on the packet writing software, Roxio Drag to Disk will format both
    CDRW, CDR, DVDR and DVDRW. Others will also.
    But CDRW disks do not need formatting if used with the XP burning
    application or for non-packet writing software application.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

CD-Rom Formatting Microsoft Windows XP