Last response: in Video Games
December 22, 2008 7:35:55 PM

Currently have this hardware:

CPU: 5600+
RAM: 2GB
Video: 7900gsko
PS: 430watts
Motherboard: ECS Geforce6100SM-M

Getting new hardware with Christmas money/giftcards and want to be able to play WoW at 1680x1050 with all the settings cranked all the way to max. The motherboard is the first thing I am replacing, runs in 8x PCI-X mode which I'd assume not good for gaming. Right now I play at 1680x1050 with all the settings turned down and get no lower than 39fps anywhere in the game. Along with the motherboard upgrade I was considering getting another 2GB of ram and also a new videocard, either a 4850 or 9800GTX. What are your thoughts/suggestions?
December 23, 2008 5:39:47 AM

The 8x PCIe slot is not that bad - in a game like WoW that does not use huge textures the bandwidth difference, affect on performance, will be very minimal...

If I were you I would just get the 7900gtx and see how things go - I expect you will be very happy with the results and will not need to upgrade further... But if you do - well it's no cash lost...
December 23, 2008 5:41:13 AM

jamesgoddard said:
The 8x PCIe slot is not that bad - in a game like WoW that does not use huge textures the bandwidth difference, affect on performance, will be very minimal...

If I were you I would just get the 9800gtx and see how things go - I expect you will be very happy with the results and will not need to upgrade further... But if you do - well it's no cash lost...

Related resources
December 23, 2008 5:43:35 AM

Bleh got my edits all mixed up - you get the idea - it's not the 7900 doh!
December 23, 2008 7:19:20 AM

4GB RAM always helps if you want to max Draw distance / ground clutter etc. I find having Draw Distance maxed is a real advantage in pvp.
!