NTLDR missing. Have tried suggested methods.

I recently installed windows XP home edition upgrade. I installed XP onto my
D drive, which I converted to NTFS. My C drive contained windows 98 and all
associated information. Having installed XP and transferred all the data I
needed, I formatted C. Big mistake.

I realize that installing the upgrade version of XP and then removing
windows 98 was not a brilliant idea.

I now cannot boot. I get the message that NTLDR is missing. I have tried
two methods to fix this problem:
1. I created a windows 98 startup disk and used it to sys C. There was no
change.
2. I booted from my XP cd, went into the repair console and typed "copy
e:\i386\NTLDR c:\" I again had no result. Just for kicks, I copied NTLDR
onto D as well.

Most of the C drive has been written over already, so I don't believe that I
can do a full disk recovery. My goal here is to be able to boot up into XP.
If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest.
6 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing suggested methods

    Hi Limeguy,

    I've never tried this when the C drive has been formatted and just the
    system files transferred (using /s switch in format command or using sys C
    command from startup disk after formatting), but have done this on numerous
    occasions when I have formatted C and installed WIN9x with WINXP already
    installed on D drive........might be worth a shot, as your only other option
    would probably be to do a repair install of XP (and for this you would need
    the install CD for a previous operating system in order to insert it for
    verification during XP Setup).

    Have a look at the "Repairing the Windows® XP Boot Loader" section here:
    http://dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    In addition to creating the READ.SCR file and saving it to the WIN98 startup
    floppy disk, you'll need to create a BOOT.INI file (can be done in Notepad)
    and save it to the WIN98 startup disk. The BOOT.INI file should look
    something like this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout = 30
    default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    C:\=WIN9x or MSDOS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home"
    /fastdetect

    After following Steps 1-4, copy the BOOT.INI file to the C: drive.

    Continue with Step #5 and on.

    If you still receive the NTLDR is missing message after performing the
    above, then boot into Recovery Console and copy both NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
    from the i386 directory to C:\

    If the above doesn't work out, or you'd rather just do the repair option,
    then have a look here for instructions and warnings for performing the
    repair install, provided courtesy of Michael Stevens:

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Limeguy" <Limeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently installed windows XP home edition upgrade. I installed XP onto
    my
    > D drive, which I converted to NTFS. My C drive contained windows 98 and
    all
    > associated information. Having installed XP and transferred all the data
    > needed, I formatted C. Big mistake.
    >
    > I realize that installing the upgrade version of XP and then removing
    > windows 98 was not a brilliant idea.
    >
    > I now cannot boot. I get the message that NTLDR is missing. I have tried
    > two methods to fix this problem:
    > 1. I created a windows 98 startup disk and used it to sys C. There was
    no
    > change.
    > 2. I booted from my XP cd, went into the repair console and typed "copy
    > e:\i386\NTLDR c:\" I again had no result. Just for kicks, I copied NTLDR
    > onto D as well.
    >
    > Most of the C drive has been written over already, so I don't believe that
    > can do a full disk recovery. My goal here is to be able to boot up into
    XP.
    > If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest.

    Thanks for the help. I ran into a problem right away with the instructions
    given at http://dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    I followed the directions carefully, but when I typed DEBUG <READ.SCR, I got
    nothing but "Bad command or file name."
    FIXBOOT did not solve the problem either.

    Should I just find myself a windows 98 cd and do a repair?

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> [...]
    > > needed, I formatted C. Big mistake.
    > >
    > > I realize that installing the upgrade version of XP and then removing
    > > windows 98 was not a brilliant idea.
    > >
    > > I now cannot boot. I get the message that NTLDR is missing. I have tried
    > > two methods to fix this problem:
    > > 1. I created a windows 98 startup disk and used it to sys C. There was
    > no
    > > change.
    > > 2. I booted from my XP cd, went into the repair console and typed "copy
    > > e:\i386\NTLDR c:\" I again had no result. Just for kicks, I copied NTLDR
    > > onto D as well.
    > >
    > > Most of the C drive has been written over already, so I don't believe that
    > > can do a full disk recovery. My goal here is to be able to boot up into
    > XP.
    > > If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest.

    New development. It appears that FIXBOOT had some effect. Now when I boot I
    get a choice between "Windows 98/MS DOS" and "Windows XP Home Edition." If I
    select the Former, I get this message:

    I/O ERRORE (sic)
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BOOTSECT.DOS

    If I choose the latter, my computer simply reboots and I return to the same
    choice.

    At repair console, try FIXBOOT

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Limeguy" <Limeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I recently installed windows XP home edition upgrade. I installed XP onto
    my
    > D drive, which I converted to NTFS. My C drive contained windows 98 and
    all
    > associated information. Having installed XP and transferred all the data
    > needed, I formatted C. Big mistake.
    >
    > I realize that installing the upgrade version of XP and then removing
    > windows 98 was not a brilliant idea.
    >
    > I now cannot boot. I get the message that NTLDR is missing. I have tried
    > two methods to fix this problem:
    > 1. I created a windows 98 startup disk and used it to sys C. There was
    no
    > change.
    > 2. I booted from my XP cd, went into the repair console and typed "copy
    > e:\i386\NTLDR c:\" I again had no result. Just for kicks, I copied NTLDR
    > onto D as well.
    >
    > Most of the C drive has been written over already, so I don't believe that
    > can do a full disk recovery. My goal here is to be able to boot up into
    XP.
    > If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest.

    After reading both of your followup posts, I decided it was time to do a
    little experimenting <g>. On the dual boot system that I use for
    experimentation, which had 9x on C and XP on D, I formatted the C drive and
    transferred the system files during format. When finished, I then ran the
    Debug command and had no problem with the command creating the BOOTSECT.DOS
    file, so I don't know what occurred at your end when you tried running this
    command........is the debug.exe file on the WIN98 startup disk that you
    created (should be in the compressed ebd.cab file on the startup disk)?

    After running DEBUG <READ.SCR (and copying the BOOT.INI file from the floppy
    to C drive) I then booted into the Recovery Console in order to run the
    FIXBOOT command. Previously I had always recommended copying the NTLDR and
    NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 folder on the XP install CD to C drive and
    then running FIXBOOT, but I thought that, perhaps, copying those files and
    running FIXBOOT was redundant........apparently not. After running FIXBOOT,
    when I chose to boot into the XP installation from the boot menu, the
    computer simply rebooted and back to the boot menu. At that point, I
    restarted with the XP CD and booted into the Recovery Console. At the
    Recovery Console, I copied the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from the i386
    folder on the install CD to C drive (you could also probably boot from the
    startup floppy disk, choose to start WITH CDROM SUPPORT and copy the files
    from the install CD to the C drive) . After exiting the Recovery Console and
    the automatic restart, I then chose to boot into the XP installation from
    the boot menu, and it booted into XP with no problem.

    I know that I have a habit of making a short story long, as I have done here
    <g>, so please overlook that small character flaw and try copying the NTLDR
    and NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 folder on your XP install CD to the C
    drive, and see if you can then successfully boot into XP.

    Regards,

    --

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > I now cannot boot. I get the message that NTLDR is missing. I have
    tried
    > > > two methods to fix this problem:
    > > > 1. I created a windows 98 startup disk and used it to sys C. There
    was
    > > no
    > > > change.
    > > > 2. I booted from my XP cd, went into the repair console and typed
    "copy
    > > > e:\i386\NTLDR c:\" I again had no result. Just for kicks, I copied
    NTLDR
    > > > onto D as well.
    > > >
    > > > Most of the C drive has been written over already, so I don't believe
    that
    > > > can do a full disk recovery. My goal here is to be able to boot up
    into
    > > XP.
    > > > If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest.

    To resolve this behavior, replace the Windows XP Ntldr and Ntdetect.com
    files. Follow these steps:
    Start the Recovery Console, type fixboot at the prompt, and then press ENTER.
    If the Recovery Console does not appear, follow these steps:
    Use one of the following methods to start the computer so that you can
    access the file system of the boot partition:
    Specify another operating system on the Boot menu.
    Start from the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then at the Windows Setup screen,
    press "R" to use the Recovery Console to repair the Windows installation.
    Use a Windows NT 4.0 boot disk that also contains the Windows XP boot files.
    If your boot partition is a basic disk that is formatted with the FAT file
    system, use an MS-DOS boot disk.
    Copy the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the Windows XP
    CD-ROM to the root folder of your boot drive. The boot drive is typically
    drive C.
    If you are using MS-DOS to perform this file replacement, you may have to
    remove the System attribute, the Read-only attribute, and the Hidden
    attribute from the files by using the attrib command. To do this, type the
    following lines at the MS-DOS command prompt, and then press ENTER after each
    line:
    attrib ntdetect.com -r -s -h
    attrib ntldr -r -s -h

    "Thomas Wendell" wrote:

    > At repair console, try FIXBOOT
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "Limeguy" <Limeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > > I recently installed windows XP home edition upgrade. I installed XP onto
    > my
    > > D drive, which I converted to NTFS. My C drive contained windows 98 and
    > all
    > > associated information. Having installed XP and transferred all the data
    > > needed, I formatted C. Big mistake.
    > >
    > > I realize that installing the upgrade version of XP and then removing
    > > windows 98 was not a brilliant idea.
    > >
    > > I now cannot boot. I get the message that NTLDR is missing. I have tried
    > > two methods to fix this problem:
    > > 1. I created a windows 98 startup disk and used it to sys C. There was
    > no
    > > change.
    > > 2. I booted from my XP cd, went into the repair console and typed "copy
    > > e:\i386\NTLDR c:\" I again had no result. Just for kicks, I copied NTLDR
    > > onto D as well.
    > >
    > > Most of the C drive has been written over already, so I don't believe that
    > > can do a full disk recovery. My goal here is to be able to boot up into
    > XP.
    > > If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to suggest.

Windows 98 Ntldr Windows XP