Stalker: Clear Sky chugging in places

btc2008

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I just installed Stalker CS and updated to the latest retail patch, 1.5.07, I think, and when I would turn, for example, the game would kind of stutter and skip a few frames in the turning process, and the display would take some time and 'chug' to try to catch up with the mouse movement. But after I have turned around and given the game a few seconds, there would be no chugging if I repeated the movement. For instance, if I turned towards point A from point B, the screen would stutter and chug towards point A, but if I waited and turned to point B and back to point A, there'd be no more chugging or stuttering, but a smooth framerate. I am playing at 1650.1080 with High settings and enhanced dynamic lighting (NO DX-10) and managing 50 FPS, so the game runs really smoothly, it's just it will chug randomly but like I said, the chugging will disappear, so I'm thinking it may be a loading issue or memory leak? Has anyone else experienced this? My specs are below:

AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6 GHz
PC Power and Cooling 610 W Continuous PSU
4 GB DDR2 RAM at 800 MHz
ATI Radeon 4850 at 512 MB
Vista Ultimate 64-bit w/ SP1

davidluke

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Three months late but better than never.

If you have a radeon with 512MB (or two) then for goodness sake pull back the Texture and grass settings to below 70 percent in the advanced video config.

I spent two weeks playing with random slowdowns and chugging in stalker clear sky. The only way I could get going again was to go into console then do vid_restart. It would be okay for a little while again

I've just pulled these settings back and now the game seems to run within the video memory.

I think this is why people are buying 1 gig ati cards now. My pair of 4870 512 is showing its age already!

Latest posts