Sign in with
Your question

Which processor XEON 2.0 Ghz or P4 3.06 ???

Last response: in Motherboards
March 13, 2003 2:16:35 PM

It is very urgent
I want to know why the intel xeon 2.0 ghz is different with the current P4 processors for my friend who is putting a Color ripping server
the original configuration offered to him by the company is
Intel xeon 2.0 ghz
dual processor support motherboard @ 400 mhz
1.0 Gb ECC ram
36 GB 10 k scsi hdd
integrated AGP ATI rage XL SVGA 8 MB
and raid card with 64 mb
all your answers will be wellcome all opinions are needed
i want to know whether the work can be done at full speed on P4's rather than the XEON
and can somebody tell me a site where comparison between these 2 processors is reported? (benchmarked)

:cool: & :eek:  is <font color=red> my frame of mind </font color=red>
so enjoy life but!!!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by czarousa on 03/14/03 10:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : processor xeon ghz

March 14, 2003 6:47:03 AM

OK, first there are many flavors of Xeon (even at 2GHz) so I suggest you go here.

http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/server/...

Second, Intel does not support dual P4's unless they are Xeon P4's.

Lastly, the Xeon seems to have some vague claims to being optimized for "server" type applications. I dunno specifically what a "color ripping" server does, but it sounds like it falls outside the more common file serving and database functions of most "servers".

My vote is the 3.06 P4 unless you plan to go dual or have one of the big cache versions of the Xeon. I have also heard that Xeon's don't OC well due to excessinve heat restrictions, but that may not be true anymore.
March 14, 2003 1:20:40 PM

I dunno what a "Color ripping" server means either... What is going to be done on this computer?? (doesn´t sound like the usual server stuff indeed. anything to do with rendering or something?)

Anyway, my vote also goes for the 3.06Ghz P4 HT, with faster bus and dual logical processors. Haven´t seen any benchmarks, though. But bear this in mind: a 3.06Ghz P4 with HT is as fast as a dual Athlon MP 2000+ in rendering, ant that´s almost THE ONLY field that can explore two cpus completely. In all others, the dual MP must theoretically be slower. (But then, an equivalent dual Xeon is probably more robust anyway... haven´t seen the benchmarks) In either case, the 3.06Ghz P4 is an excellent choice because its big processing power can also be used on one thread alone.
Related resources
March 14, 2003 10:17:49 PM

Try
www.2cpu.com

There are advantages to running a dual cpu suystem is high trafic server applications. But for a simple workstation the 3.06 should be fine...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
March 15, 2003 2:01:35 AM

XEON and P4 is the excat same core but not the same socket.Color riping server in others a webserver

There a bunch XEON 2 ghz

U1 version and normal
Foster core (willimete) and prestonia core (NW)
DP version and MP version (gallatin)
in higher version there also the 533 FSB 1

[-peep-] french
March 15, 2003 1:35:39 PM

Xeon IS a P4 core except with more voltage regulator pins and dual processing enabled. The cost of a 2.0GHz Xeon is low. For the price of a 3.06GHz P4 HT you could get a pair of 2.66GHz Xeons 533MHz FSB. That would kick ass man! Remember, Xeons aleady have HT enabled for a long time.

But it doesn't sound like you're sure what you need. The Xeon chip is designed for a server/workstation environment where stability is the number 1 concern. Server processors are put together and screened for stability just for that reason which is why they usually lag behind the high-end desktop processors in clock speed. I don't know what a "color ripping server" does either or what the workload on such a server is. That will affect your choice of machine also.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
March 15, 2003 2:03:23 PM

Ever thought about dual XP's or dual Bartons ;) 

My friend has dual XPs running... that's right i said XP NOT MP's... If you unlock two bartons... now that would be sweet ;) 

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
March 15, 2003 3:46:52 PM

not really that sweet, because the AMD760 chipset is no good... I´d still go with Xeons. They´d have HT already, and 533Mhz Xeons really kick ass. Might be more expensive, though...
March 15, 2003 9:44:21 PM

I believe "color ripping" is used by publishers to make sure that the colors in a printed image--especially photographs--meet standardized colors . In other words, if I understand correctly, the color you see on your monitor is not always the color that will be printed. Color rippers proof the color copy to make sure the published image is correct, regardless of how it looks on the monitor.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/15/03 06:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 16, 2003 3:52:12 PM

I am getting on the topic now
i want to tell that the color ripping server is the server which is used in prepress houses for color separation using the harlequin rip software or one by scitex which is fixed for the IBM AIX server
so i am really thinking of P4 3.06 now as it is cheaper coz the company which is selling the hardwrae is selling the specifications for $12,000/- i am not joking this is why all this exercise as i will be able to get P4 3.06 very cheap with regards to the XEON specification i allready submitted in the question

:cool: & :eek:  is <font color=red> my frame of mind </font color=red>
so enjoy life but!!!!!!
!