NTLDR missing

System won't boot, only a black screen with "NTLDR" missing.
Tried XP-CD but it doesn't find windows on the system.
Can someone help me start windows ? Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing

    Hi

    Try this:

    Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing 'R'.
    When in the Recovery Console type the following:

    "copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes. Where X is the letter of
    your
    CD drive and C is the letter of your system drive. Take the XP CD out
    of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Dwag" <Dwag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > System won't boot, only a black screen with "NTLDR" missing.
    > Tried XP-CD but it doesn't find windows on the system.
    > Can someone help me start windows ? Thanks

    I know this may sound silly but it happens often..... you havn't left a
    floppy disk in the drive have you?????

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing 'R'.
    > When in the Recovery Console type the following:
    >
    > "copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes. Where X is the letter of
    > your
    > CD drive and C is the letter of your system drive. Take the XP CD out
    > of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Dwag" <Dwag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > System won't boot, only a black screen with "NTLDR" missing.
    > > Tried XP-CD but it doesn't find windows on the system.
    > > Can someone help me start windows ? Thanks

    Hi

    Why would leaving a floppy in the drive generate that error message? The
    floppy drive should be configured to boot last.

    --

    "Bell" <Bell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I know this may sound silly but it happens often..... you havn't left a
    > floppy disk in the drive have you?????
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing
    >> 'R'.
    >> When in the Recovery Console type the following:
    >>
    >> "copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes. Where X is the letter of
    >> your
    >> CD drive and C is the letter of your system drive. Take the XP CD out
    >> of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Dwag" <Dwag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > System won't boot, only a black screen with "NTLDR" missing.
    >> > Tried XP-CD but it doesn't find windows on the system.
    >> > Can someone help me start windows ? Thanks

    Well, if in fact the floppy drive is configured to boot first,
    and despite what you may think, that is often the case;
    and there is a non bootable floppy in the floppy drive,
    it will generate just exactly the "ntldr is missing" error.

    So Bell did raise a very valid question in Bell's post.

    =====================================

    > Hi
    >
    > Why would leaving a floppy in the drive generate that error message? The floppy drive
    > should be configured to boot last.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Bell" <Bell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I know this may sound silly but it happens often..... you havn't left a
    >> floppy disk in the drive have you?????
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Try this:
    >>>
    >>> Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing 'R'.
    >>> When in the Recovery Console type the following:
    >>>
    >>> "copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes. Where X is the letter of
    >>> your
    >>> CD drive and C is the letter of your system drive. Take the XP CD out
    >>> of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>

    >>> "Dwag" <Dwag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I believe that most any computer built recently enough to have come with XP
    pre-loaded will boot from the optical drive first and the floppy drive last.

    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "XPUSER" <XPUSER@HOTMAIL.XYZ> wrote in message
    > Well, if in fact the floppy drive is configured to boot first,
    > and despite what you may think, that is often the case;
    > and there is a non bootable floppy in the floppy drive,
    > it will generate just exactly the "ntldr is missing" error.
    >
    > So Bell did raise a very valid question in Bell's post.
    >
    > =====================================

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Why would leaving a floppy in the drive generate that error message?
    The floppy drive
    > > should be configured to boot last.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "Bell" <Bell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I know this may sound silly but it happens often..... you havn't left a
    > >> floppy disk in the drive have you?????

    All I was trying to point out was that MAYBE the
    floppy drive is configured to boot in front of the
    hard drive and MAYBE the user in question is
    not aware of that and MAYBE there IS a non
    bootable floppy in the floppy drive and MAYBE
    it would be a good idea to check out that POSSIBILITY.
    =======================================

    >I believe that most any computer built recently enough to have come with XP
    > pre-loaded will boot from the optical drive first and the floppy drive last.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "XPUSER" <XPUSER@HOTMAIL.XYZ> wrote in message
    >> Well, if in fact the floppy drive is configured to boot first,
    >> and despite what you may think, that is often the case;
    >> and there is a non bootable floppy in the floppy drive,
    >> it will generate just exactly the "ntldr is missing" error.
    >>
    >> So Bell did raise a very valid question in Bell's post.
    >>
    >> =====================================
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > Why would leaving a floppy in the drive generate that error message?
    > The floppy drive
    >> > should be configured to boot last.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >

    >> > Will Denny
    >> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> > Please reply to the News Groups
    >> >

    >> > "Bell" <Bell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > pressing 'R'.

    > of

    Hi

    I must re-iterate - the floppy drive should be configured to boot last!!
    Then the error message can't attributed to the floppy. That setting will
    also alleviate the possibility of a virus-infected floppy being left in the
    drive by accident and infecting a system on boot-up.

    --

    > Hi
    >
    > I must re-iterate - the floppy drive should be configured to boot
    > last!! Then the error message can't attributed to the floppy. That
    > setting will also alleviate the possibility of a virus-infected floppy
    > being left in the drive by accident and infecting a system on boot-up.

    If the floppy were configured to boot last, you could never use it to
    boot your system using a bootable floppy because, well, obviously the
    hard drive is going to get used first and that's where most folks put
    their operating system.

    The floppy is still often used to boot a system. I don't go loading and
    running an operating system when that is the partition for which I am
    trying to save a drive image, so I boot using floppies to run the
    imaging program. When you want to flash your BIOS, you use a bootable
    floppy and run the flash program to load the .bin file into EEPROM
    (yeah, I know there are Windows-mode flash programs but then anything
    that hiccups within Windows - which is obviously not a rarity - would
    interrupt the BIOS flash and leave you with a dead system).

    E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

    Erm - if you need to boot from a floppy - a change in the BIOS would be
    appropriate - yes/no?

    --

    "Vanguard" <see_signature> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I must re-iterate - the floppy drive should be configured to boot last!!
    >> Then the error message can't attributed to the floppy. That setting will
    >> also alleviate the possibility of a virus-infected floppy being left in
    >> the drive by accident and infecting a system on boot-up.
    >

    > If the floppy were configured to boot last, you could never use it to boot
    > your system using a bootable floppy because, well, obviously the hard
    > drive is going to get used first and that's where most folks put their
    > operating system.
    >
    > The floppy is still often used to boot a system. I don't go loading and
    > running an operating system when that is the partition for which I am
    > trying to save a drive image, so I boot using floppies to run the imaging
    > program. When you want to flash your BIOS, you use a bootable floppy and
    > run the flash program to load the .bin file into EEPROM (yeah, I know
    > there are Windows-mode flash programs but then anything that hiccups
    > within Windows - which is obviously not a rarity - would interrupt the
    > BIOS flash and leave you with a dead system).

    > Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    > E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

    PLease try these steps::---

    To resolve this behavior, replace the Windows XP Ntldr and Ntdetect.com
    files. Follow these steps:
    ============
    Start the Recovery Console, type fixboot at the prompt, and then press ENTER.
    If the Recovery Console does not appear, follow these steps:
    Use one of the following methods to start the computer so that you can
    access the file system of the boot partition:
    Specify another operating system on the Boot menu.
    Start from the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then at the Windows Setup screen,
    press "R" to use the Recovery Console to repair the Windows installation.
    Use a Windows NT 4.0 boot disk that also contains the Windows XP boot files.
    If your boot partition is a basic disk that is formatted with the FAT file
    system, use an MS-DOS boot disk.
    Copy the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the Windows XP
    CD-ROM to the root folder of your boot drive. The boot drive is typically
    drive C.
    If you are using MS-DOS to perform this file replacement, you may have to
    remove the System attribute, the Read-only attribute, and the Hidden
    attribute from the files by using the attrib command. To do this, type the
    following lines at the MS-DOS command prompt, and then press ENTER after each
    line:
    attrib ntdetect.com -r -s -h
    attrib ntldr -r -s -h

Ntldr Microsoft Boot CD-Rom Windows XP