Which is best for in-game communication?

Hello everyone:

For Xmas we got my 12-year-old son the WoW game and a Koss headphone with mike so he can play and talk to his buddies. I now understand I need a program to get this to work.

I'm at a loss as to which program I should get, Teamspeak or spmething called Ventrillo. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about which game communication
  1. Hey , check out X-fire.com . Its a free download.
  2. Xfire? Nah, your kid needs Ventrilo!

http://www.ventrilo.com/
  3. without a doubt Ventrilo

By far the best Audio PC software. it's free, it's a quick easy Download.

www.ventrilo.com your son will just need the "CLIENT" software which is free.

most likely your son's Buddies already have their Ventrilo Server up.

If not, there are numerous sites that provided server hosting... one of them being typefrag i believe.
  4. Ventrilo and TeamSpeak both require servers to connect on so that you can talk to people. That usually costs money to get a "professional" solution which has high uptime. There are also some exe's of servers floating around that you can get to host your own server.

A word of caution though, starting your 12yr old on WoW is a bit like giving him his first crack pipe. Bad idea. Bad **** idea.
  5. antiacid said:
    A word of caution though, starting your 12yr old on WoW is a bit like giving him his first crack pipe. Bad idea. Bad **** idea.

No kidding, very bad.

~Death Dream~
  6. Ventrilo is free and the best. http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php
    For a 12 year old be sure to set play times for WoW, it can be addictive.
  7. Death Dream said:
    No kidding, very bad.

~Death Dream~

Have to agree, my brother has been 'hooked' for years now .. and 'hooked' is definitely the correct word to use. There is a definite link with his increase in weight, his drop in fitness level and WOW. :(
  8. ventrilo and a server rental is about $10 month for 20-25 slot server. The client is free so if his friends already have a server that's all he will need. A word of caution; if the ventrilo server (or whatever they decide to use) is not password protected make sure you occassioanlly listen in. I have an 11 year old and I have been shocked to hear some of the things said even though the offending parties know there are underage kids around. Fortunately, or unfortunately for them, they did not know I was listening.

as for WoW = crack, that is a bit misleading. In no way shape or form is crack as bad for you as WoW. WoW = crack while using heroine. ;)
  9. I use xfire and steam for game and friend tracking. Ventrillo and teamspeak for in game comms, personally I prefer Teamspeak, (and its easier to setup than vent).
  10. Xfire to see where the guy's play and ofc Vent and TS to speak in game
    I prefer Vent it lags less then TS the quality of sound abit better
  11. I was the 15 year old with Everquest (before any expansions), and yes...set time limits for play. Many sleepless "must stay here and kill X to get X/get a new level/etc."

Wow, about 1-2 years ago, was better due to my age...but still too many "need to work tomorrow, but I'll be ok..."
    ----------------
    As for your question, I would also recommend Ventrilo (over Teamspeak), at least while using the "pre latest expansion" Wow. My group of friends could never get Teamspeak to work correctly in the older version, but Ventrilo always worked well.
  12. Defo set limits he can play. Cant stress that enough. I used TS and it worked perfectly, server was provided by others though so not sure about how easy it is to set up.

I was the 15 year old with Everquest (before any expansions), and yes...set time limits for play. Many sleepless "must stay here and kill X to get X/get a new level/etc."

Wow, about 1-2 years ago, was better due to my age...but still too many "need to work tomorrow, but I'll be ok..."
    quotemsg]
    Been there bro, been there....
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games World Of Warcraft Video Games