john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a file - "drwtsn32.log" in the Application Data - Microsoft - Dr
Watson folder.

It is 30.7Mb in size - can this be correct? Can it be deleted and started
over again?

Regards

John

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\

If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.

Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses program
errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the diagnostic
data.

If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.

Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:e2hm3GO%23EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John <john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> I have a file - "drwtsn32.log" in the Application Data - Microsoft -
> Dr Watson folder.
>
> It is 30.7Mb in size - can this be correct? Can it be deleted and
> started over again?
>

> Regards
>
> John

i just had a look at my watson file and its 2533kb - at the moment i have
lots of pcs problems, could this be making matters worse ?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\
>
> If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.
>
> Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses program
> errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the diagnostic
> data.
>
> If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.
>
> Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:e2hm3GO%23EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> John <john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> > I have a file - "drwtsn32.log" in the Application Data - Microsoft -
> > Dr Watson folder.
> >
> > It is 30.7Mb in size - can this be correct? Can it be deleted and
> > started over again?
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > John

Not at all. That is simply a log of what the Dr. Watson application has
performed. Many applications create log files of their activities. It's like
recording things in a diary. And in any case, these logs are usually text
files, which are so named because they contain only text, as opposed to
executable program code.

Why not describe your problems and let us have a whack at them. That's what
we do, sick little puppies that we are.

Try to be as specific as possible when describing a problem, and only
include one problem per post.

Since many problems are caused by viruses and/or spyware, your first step is
to rid your computer of these pests.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i just had a look at my watson file and its 2533kb - at the moment i have
> lots of pcs problems, could this be making matters worse ?
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr
Watson\

> > If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.
> >
> > Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses
program
> > errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the
diagnostic
> > data.
> >
> > If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.
> >
> > Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.
> >

> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > Wes
> >
> > In news:e2hm3GO%23EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > John <john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
> > > I have a file - "drwtsn32.log" in the Application Data - Microsoft -
> > > Dr Watson folder.
> > >
> > > It is 30.7Mb in size - can this be correct? Can it be deleted and
> > > started over again?
> > >

> > > Regards
> > >
> > > John

i have had a post running in a different section and been getting some
answers all day, at this point i am so very close to slinging this thing
through the nearest window!

i think i had made my own problem worse than it started off at, as i wasnt
aware of the useful people giving handy hints here. In a nutshell, i started
getting a strange error, to do with " not suitable for running DOS or windows
applications ", so, in my infinite wisdom i tried a system restore, which did
not work, so i tried the restore dvd which came along with the pc, also did
not work - hence now, i have a totally useless piece of machinery that just
wants to freeze up me. What i dont follow, is why the restore dvd has given
me a list as long as four pairs of arms of system32 - mainly DLL - files that
it cannot open therefore transfer errors. The last suggestion i got from
other thread was to get in touch with Best Buy where i bought the thing 4
months ago. Have you any other possible clues for me ??

I will be doing the contacting best buy, but i need to gather up some info
first. If you have any other options, i am eager to listen !

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Not at all. That is simply a log of what the Dr. Watson application has
> performed. Many applications create log files of their activities. It's like
> recording things in a diary. And in any case, these logs are usually text
> files, which are so named because they contain only text, as opposed to
> executable program code.
>
> Why not describe your problems and let us have a whack at them. That's what
> we do, sick little puppies that we are.
>
> Try to be as specific as possible when describing a problem, and only
> include one problem per post.
>
> Since many problems are caused by viruses and/or spyware, your first step is
> to rid your computer of these pests.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i just had a look at my watson file and its 2533kb - at the moment i have
> > lots of pcs problems, could this be making matters worse ?
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr
> Watson\
> > >
> > > If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.
> > >
> > > Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses
> program
> > > errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the
> diagnostic
> > > data.
> > >
> > > If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.
> > >
> > > Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > > Wes
> > >
> > > In news:e2hm3GO%23EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > > John <john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> hunted and pecked:

also, i have done the spy check and fixed what was there, but, my nortons
antivirus is having a stange day also, so, that part i cannot do anything with

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Not at all. That is simply a log of what the Dr. Watson application has
> performed. Many applications create log files of their activities. It's like
> recording things in a diary. And in any case, these logs are usually text
> files, which are so named because they contain only text, as opposed to
> executable program code.
>
> Why not describe your problems and let us have a whack at them. That's what
> we do, sick little puppies that we are.
>
> Try to be as specific as possible when describing a problem, and only
> include one problem per post.
>
> Since many problems are caused by viruses and/or spyware, your first step is
> to rid your computer of these pests.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i just had a look at my watson file and its 2533kb - at the moment i have
> > lots of pcs problems, could this be making matters worse ?
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr
> Watson\
> > >
> > > If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.
> > >
> > > Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses
> program
> > > errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the
> diagnostic
> > > data.
> > >
> > > If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.
> > >
> > > Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > > Wes
> > >
> > > In news:e2hm3GO%23EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > > John <john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom> hunted and pecked:

So-called 'restore DVDs' or 'recovery DVDs' are created by the manufacturer
of the computer, not Microsoft. As such, only the manufacturer of your
computer can provide authoratative answers to questions about their restore
DVD.

The error message you quoted sounds familiar. In future, be sure to post the
exact wording of error messages. I believe the error message you saw is
explained here:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

If System Restore "did not work" - you need to be more specific than that:
what happened when you tried it? - that is likely because one or more
restore points are corrupted. This is often (but not always) caused by a
virus, which may also be the cause of your original problem.

In that case, the only thing you can do is to delete all your restore points
and start fresh. Indeed, that's the only thing you want to do. You do this
by turning off SR and then turning it on again.

"How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405
--

> i have had a post running in a different section and been getting some
> answers all day, at this point i am so very close to slinging this thing
> through the nearest window!
>
> i think i had made my own problem worse than it started off at, as i wasnt
> aware of the useful people giving handy hints here. In a nutshell, i
started
> getting a strange error, to do with " not suitable for running DOS or
windows
> applications ", so, in my infinite wisdom i tried a system restore, which
did
> not work, so i tried the restore dvd which came along with the pc, also
did
> not work - hence now, i have a totally useless piece of machinery that
just
> wants to freeze up me. What i dont follow, is why the restore dvd has
given
> me a list as long as four pairs of arms of system32 - mainly DLL - files
that
> it cannot open therefore transfer errors. The last suggestion i got from
> other thread was to get in touch with Best Buy where i bought the thing 4
> months ago. Have you any other possible clues for me ??
>
> I will be doing the contacting best buy, but i need to gather up some info
> first. If you have any other options, i am eager to listen !
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > Not at all. That is simply a log of what the Dr. Watson application has
> > performed. Many applications create log files of their activities. It's
like
> > recording things in a diary. And in any case, these logs are usually
text
> > files, which are so named because they contain only text, as opposed to
> > executable program code.
> >
> > Why not describe your problems and let us have a whack at them. That's
what
> > we do, sick little puppies that we are.
> >
> > Try to be as specific as possible when describing a problem, and only
> > include one problem per post.
> >
> > Since many problems are caused by viruses and/or spyware, your first
step is
> > to rid your computer of these pests.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > i just had a look at my watson file and its 2533kb - at the moment i
have
> > > lots of pcs problems, could this be making matters worse ?

> > Watson\

> > program
> > diagnostic

Microsoft -

Until you are certain that your computer is 100% free of viruses and
spyware, there is no sense in trying any other troubleshooting procedures.

--

> also, i have done the spy check and fixed what was there, but, my nortons
> antivirus is having a stange day also, so, that part i cannot do anything
with

> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > Not at all. That is simply a log of what the Dr. Watson application has
> > performed. Many applications create log files of their activities. It's
like
> > recording things in a diary. And in any case, these logs are usually
text
> > files, which are so named because they contain only text, as opposed to
> > executable program code.
> >
> > Why not describe your problems and let us have a whack at them. That's
what
> > we do, sick little puppies that we are.
> >
> > Try to be as specific as possible when describing a problem, and only
> > include one problem per post.
> >
> > Since many problems are caused by viruses and/or spyware, your first
step is
> > to rid your computer of these pests.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > i just had a look at my watson file and its 2533kb - at the moment i
have
> > > lots of pcs problems, could this be making matters worse ?

> > Watson\

> > program
> > diagnostic

Microsoft -

Hi Ted. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eyF7yxb%23EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Until you are certain that your computer is 100% free of viruses and
> spyware, there is no sense in trying any other troubleshooting
> procedures.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> also, i have done the spy check and fixed what was there, but, my
>> nortons antivirus is having a stange day also, so, that part i
>> cannot do anything with
>>
>> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>>
>>> Not at all. That is simply a log of what the Dr. Watson application
>>> has performed. Many applications create log files of their
>>> activities. It's like recording things in a diary. And in any case,
>>> these logs are usually text files, which are so named because they
>>> contain only text, as opposed to executable program code.
>>>
>>> Why not describe your problems and let us have a whack at them.
>>> That's what we do, sick little puppies that we are.
>>>
>>> Try to be as specific as possible when describing a problem, and
>>> only include one problem per post.
>>>
>>> Since many problems are caused by viruses and/or spyware, your
>>> first step is to rid your computer of these pests.
>>> --
>>> Ted Zieglar
>>>

>>> "Missy" <Missy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Good to read you again, Wes.