Windows XP Pro vs Home

I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?

Any known issues doing so?

Thanks

Tom
7 answers Last reply
More about windows home

    1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
    2. Uninstall your current antivirus program.
    3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
    the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
    6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
    7. Reinstall your antivirus program and defrag your hard drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "KeyWest JetSki" <kwjetskiking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
    > Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?
    >
    > Any known issues doing so?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom
    ====================================
    1. Definetly follow Carey's advice
    2. Consider (unless does not apply) checking with
    your system manufacturer as to whether upgrading
    will void your warranty.
    3. Make sure that you get a copy of XP Pro that
    contains Service Pack 2
    ====================================

    "Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?"
    Tens of thousands of people in the U.S. alone.

    "Any known issues doing so?"
    None. Always backup before upgrading.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "KeyWest JetSki" <kwjetskiking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
    > Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?
    >
    > Any known issues doing so?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    Upgrading from Home to Pro is smooth provided you do some maintenance first.
    There are some tips here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

    If you have already installed SP2 on your XP Home setup then you likely need
    an XP Pro version with SP2 imbedded or need to uninstall SP2 from the XP
    Home setup before running the upgrade. Recently released versions of XP are
    now available that have SP2 embedded but there are many older versions still
    for sale. If needed you can slipstream SP2 into Windows XP Pro by following
    the steps here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "KeyWest JetSki" <kwjetskiking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
    | Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?
    |
    | Any known issues doing so?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Tom

    Hi Tom

    Upgraded from Home to Pro without any problems at all.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "KeyWest JetSki" <kwjetskiking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
    > Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?
    >
    > Any known issues doing so?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    To all

    Thanks for all the info I will plan my upgrade soon.

    Tom

    "KeyWest JetSki" <kwjetskiking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
    > Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?
    >
    > Any known issues doing so?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    To all in this group the upgrade failed badly

    I would seriuosly consider more than just uninstalling any virus software

    after the upgrade completed windows xp pro would not boot in any mode

    safe
    safe w/net
    normal
    all failed

    I had to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch

    what a job all applications now had to reinstalled

    then IIS fails to work which is the main reason for upgrading to xp pro

    i now have to reformat again start from scratch install iis first test and
    then test after each application to see what is causing it to fail

    No one has been able to help on this even in the iis newsgroup

    I called ms support and we spent several hours on the phone with no luck

    Still confused

    Tom
    "Thomas Grassi" <thomasgrassi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > To all
    >
    > Thanks for all the info I will plan my upgrade soon.
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > "KeyWest JetSki" <kwjetskiking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I am currently running Windows XP Home and need IIS and I know Windows XP
    >> Pro comes with IIS now. Has anyone upgraded from Home to Pro?
    >>
    >> Any known issues doing so?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Tom

Microsoft IIS Windows XP