Internet Ok But got Home Network Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 29, 2004 7:11:21 PM

I hope someone can help me witha small problem i have ill try and explain the setup i have as follows
using cable modem connected to DLink 624+ wireless router with one desktop pc running xp pro connected by wire which is not always turned on another desktop running xp pro connected by wireless using DLink pci wireless network card and also have an IBM laptop also running xp pro connecting wirelessly all of these computers manage to access the internet with no problems and are using dchp so all are getting thier ip's from the router
The problem im having is none of the computers can see each other and i have a printer and files on the wired desktop pc that i would like to access with the laptop all have the same network name and all have norton firewall installed all are also using wep encryption im probably overlooking something very silly here but ive chased my tail on this for a few days now and before i start smashing things i thought id ask for some help my thinking is that norton may be the problem but ive tryed to set up the config in norton wizard and i have managed to network 2 pc's a while back using the same version of norton but this wireless thing is a whole new ball game.
Just one question also is it possible to access the wireless desktop direct from the laptop and if it is would this be whats known as adhoc?
sorry if this message sounds a bit idiotic but im a bit of a newbie to networking
i would welcome any help on this please before i go even greyer............... can be contacted on lcarlsbergnospam@yahoo.com (remove the nospam from name)
Lee
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 8:45:44 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, COVERS_IS_ON_MODEM mused:

| I hope someone can help me witha small problem i have ill try and
| explain the setup i have as follows ...

It's most likely Norton interfering. There should be a way to add your
LAN subnet to a trusted zone. I don't use Norton, so I cannot say
specifically.

Additionally, make sure you actually have something to share. Having a
printer is fine, but unless you make it an available share, the other
computers won't see it. Same for folders.

If you want remote access from one computer to another, I recommend
UltraVNC ...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/faq.htm
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:22:19 PM

COVERS_IS_ON_MODEM wrote:

> I hope someone can help me witha small problem i have ill try and explain
> the setup i have as follows
> using cable modem connected to DLink 624+ wireless router with one
> desktop pc running xp pro connected by wire which is not always turned on
> another desktop running xp pro connected by wireless using DLink pci
> wireless network card and also have an IBM laptop also running xp pro
> connecting wirelessly all of these computers manage to access the
> internet with no problems and are using dchp so all are getting thier ip's
> from the router
> The problem im having is none of the computers can see each other and i
> have a printer and files on the wired desktop pc that i would like to
> access with the laptop all have the same network name and all have norton
> firewall installed all are also using wep encryption im probably
> overlooking something very silly here but ive chased my tail on this for a
> few days now and before i start smashing things i thought id ask for some
> help my thinking is that norton may be the problem but ive tryed to set up
> the config in norton wizard and i have managed to network 2 pc's a while
> back using the same version of norton but this wireless thing is a whole
> new ball game. Just one question also is it possible to access the
> wireless desktop direct from the laptop and if it is would this be whats
> known as adhoc? sorry if this message sounds a bit idiotic but im a bit of
> a newbie to networking i would welcome any help on this please before i go
> even greyer............... can be contacted on lcarlsbergnospam@yahoo.com
> (remove the nospam from name) Lee

You should drop the FW(s) on the machines to see if you have sharing of
resources between the machines for sure. The FW(s) on the machine must be
open for the Windows Networking ports 137-138 UDP and 139 and 445 TCP for
traffic to flow. There should be a setting in the FW Admin screen to auto
enable those ports I would think.

As for Remote Desktop Sharing, the Windows O/S has Netmeeting's RDS, which
you'll need to configure the FW(s) to allow traffic on the ports(s) being
used by Netmeeting or and 3rd party RDS application.

If you cannot get the wired and wireless to share resources, it maybe due to
WEP being enabled and not working with the Netbeui protocol. You can still
do the networking with MS Client Services, MS File and Print Share and
TCP/IP being the only services and protocol being used.

Duane :)
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:42:39 PM

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, COVERS_IS_ON_MODEM mused:
> |
> | I hope someone can help me witha small problem i have ill try and
> | explain the setup i have as follows ...
>
> It's most likely Norton interfering. There should be a way to add
your
> LAN subnet to a trusted zone. I don't use Norton, so I cannot say
> specifically.

I'll second that: Norton's default is to block NetBIOS ports. You can either
add the ports to the excepted list, or allow all traffic from your local
subnet, but I recommend you do both, and allow _only_ NetBIOS (TCP ports
135, 137, 138, & 139) _only_ from your local subnet.

> Additionally, make sure you actually have something to share. Having
> printer is fine, but unless you make it an available share, the other
> computers won't see it. Same for folders.
>
> If you want remote access from one computer to another, I recommend
> UltraVNC ...
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/faq.htm

VNC is a "screenscraper" program that duplicates the screen/keyboard/mouse
from another computer onto yours, i.e., it's the same idea as PCAnywhere.
Although I've found such programs useful for troubleshooting distant
machines, I don't favor them for everyday use, since I found I had to
constantly remind myself of which machine I was operating on and where the
files would be after the connection was broken. Having said that, I'll admit
that PCAnywhere/TightVNC/UltraVNC are more secure than having shares enabled
on Windows ME/98 machines, which don't have the security features found in
the NTFS file system, but since the OP runs XP, it isn't any issue here.

YMMV.

William

--
William Warren
(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)