redshd.gif - compter freezes

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I am runnning Windows XP home, with Norton Internet Security and
windows auto updates enabled. Every now and again the computer freezes
on startup. Whenever this happens an icon appears in the system tray.
I did a search to find the icon, as I don't know what it refers to. It
is
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\redshd.gif
Can anyone tell me what this icon refers to in the system tray and if
it gives any clue as to why the computer is freezing.
Max

On 13 Jan 2005 19:28:14 -0800, Max wrote:

> I am runnning Windows XP home, with Norton Internet Security and
> windows auto updates enabled. Every now and again the computer freezes
> on startup. Whenever this happens an icon appears in the system tray.
> I did a search to find the icon, as I don't know what it refers to. It
> is
> C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\redshd.gif
> Can anyone tell me what this icon refers to in the system tray and if
> it gives any clue as to why the computer is freezing.
> Max

That's the icon that the new Security Console uses when the firewall or
antivirus is off. If it goes away, it means Norton was slow to load but
when it was finally running, the icon drops out of sight.

I don't use Norton products but I believe they have a download that makes
it work a bit better with the console at startup.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"I don't use Norton products but I believe they have a download that makes
it work a bit better with the console at startup."

Sharon is correct. You can get the update through Live Update or by clicking
on the 'automated support assistant' button here:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

Ted Zieglar