Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm having a problem with a dvd burner and was told by support to disable
DMA and then reinstall the firmware.What is DMA? and how do I disable it?
Thank You, Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Control Panel/System/Hardware tab, click on Device Manager. Expand the IDE
controller branch. Double-click the cable that your dvd drive is connected
to, go to the advanced settings tab. You can change it to PIO mode while you
do this. Reverse the steps to change it back. DMA=Direct Memory Access, it
allows the device to read/write directly to memory without going through the
CPU. PIO mode requires intervention by the CPU to execute the command.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone