XP Pro - Limited Users can't access some programs

Hi, can anyone help me pelase. I have just got a new machine with XP Pro.
During set up i configured user accounts for myself and my family members
with myself having admin control and the rest set as limited accounts. The
limited accounts cannot access some of the programs (non-microsoft) that i
have subsequently installed (although i can) and cannot see them even via
windows explorer.I have not set any policies or changed anything that i am
aware of. Any suggestions please?
5 answers Last reply
More about limited users access programs

    Have they ever been able to access those programs? What aren't they seeing?
    Can they navigate to Program Files\YourProgramName and see the folder/files?
    Some programs just won't work for limited users and installing a program for
    one user doesn't necessarily make it available for all users. You might try
    digging through your profiile (Documents and Settings\YourUserName) and see
    where you find references to thsoe programs (Start Menu, Desktop, Application
    Data, Local Settings, UserData, etc) and copying that to their profiles.
    OTOH it may not work, but it's worth a shot.

    Mark B wrote:
    > Hi, can anyone help me pelase. I have just got a new machine with XP Pro.
    > During set up i configured user accounts for myself and my family members
    > with myself having admin control and the rest set as limited accounts. The
    > limited accounts cannot access some of the programs (non-microsoft) that i
    > have subsequently installed (although i can) and cannot see them even via
    > windows explorer.I have not set any policies or changed anything that i am
    > aware of. Any suggestions please?

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed/coded.
    Quite simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't
    "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries
    to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to all
    current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the corresponding
    locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left with
    two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher access
    privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or replace
    the application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    For some obscure reason, game and children's software developers in
    particular seem to not understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and
    require even limited users to have unnecessarily high privileges to
    protected systems folders. For example, saved games are often stored in
    a sub-folder under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place
    where no inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thank you both - very helpful advice and problem now solved

    Mark B wrote:
    > Thank you both - very helpful advice and problem now solved
    >
    > "Kathea Banshou" wrote:
    >

    >>Have they ever been able to access those programs? What aren't they seeing?
    >>Can they navigate to Program Files\YourProgramName and see the folder/files?
    >>Some programs just won't work for limited users and installing a program for
    >>one user doesn't necessarily make it available for all users. You might try
    >>digging through your profiile (Documents and Settings\YourUserName) and see
    >>where you find references to thsoe programs (Start Menu, Desktop, Application
    >>Data, Local Settings, UserData, etc) and copying that to their profiles.
    >>OTOH it may not work, but it's worth a shot.
    >>
    >>"Mark B" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, can anyone help me pelase. I have just got a new machine with XP Pro.
    >>>During set up i configured user accounts for myself and my family members
    >>>with myself having admin control and the rest set as limited accounts. The
    >>>limited accounts cannot access some of the programs (non-microsoft) that i
    >>>have subsequently installed (although i can) and cannot see them even via
    >>>windows explorer.I have not set any policies or changed anything that i am
    >>>aware of. Any suggestions please?

    How did you resolve the problem Mark?

    >>> Have they ever been able to access those programs? What aren't they
    >>> seeing? Can they navigate to Program Files\YourProgramName and see
    >>> the folder/files? Some programs just won't work for limited users
    >>> and installing a program for one user doesn't necessarily make it
    >>> available for all users. You might try digging through your profiile
    >>> (Documents and Settings\YourUserName) and see where you find
    >>> references to thsoe programs (Start Menu, Desktop, Application Data,
    >>> Local Settings, UserData, etc) and copying that to their profiles.
    >>> OTOH it may not work, but it's worth a shot.

Microsoft Windows XP