How do I get optimum performance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance? Are
there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit better?

I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and when
that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any options
or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
10 answers Last reply
More about optimum performance
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    To get optimum performance: Read, read and read more. The more you learn
    about how hardware and software works, the better you'll know how to get the
    most from your computer. That's what works for me.

    Of course, that's not as glamorous an approach as installing the latest
    hyped up 'optimization' program or following misguided advice to hack into
    your computer. On the other hand, I haven't seen a BSOD on any of my
    computers since Windows 95. And both of the computers I currently own are
    problem-free and fas ast as the old Mustang CobraJet.

    Ted Zieglar

    "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:CE76B6F3-D4E2-4283-852C-DAA7C576DC86@microsoft.com...
    > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance? Are
    > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit better?
    >
    > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and when
    > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any
    > options
    > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Cheers for the advice. Any good places to start this quest for knowledge??

    I would like to avoid putting unneccsary things onto my PC too, just
    wondered if there were any options within Windows or something that are not
    that obvious to a novice that could give the system a bit of extra pep?

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > To get optimum performance: Read, read and read more. The more you learn
    > about how hardware and software works, the better you'll know how to get the
    > most from your computer. That's what works for me.
    >
    > Of course, that's not as glamorous an approach as installing the latest
    > hyped up 'optimization' program or following misguided advice to hack into
    > your computer. On the other hand, I haven't seen a BSOD on any of my
    > computers since Windows 95. And both of the computers I currently own are
    > problem-free and fas ast as the old Mustang CobraJet.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:CE76B6F3-D4E2-4283-852C-DAA7C576DC86@microsoft.com...
    > > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance? Are
    > > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit better?
    > >
    > > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and when
    > > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any
    > > options
    > > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:74546CD8-D1B4-4D7B-B06A-25DEEF28987C@microsoft.com
    > Cheers for the advice. Any good places to start this quest for
    > knowledge??
    >
    > I would like to avoid putting unneccsary things onto my PC too, just
    > wondered if there were any options within Windows or something that
    > are not that obvious to a novice that could give the system a bit of
    > extra pep?

    Go to the local bookstore and get the latest edition of WindowsXP Inside
    Out.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to go to the bookstore, and
    Ted Zieglar has posted some websites I can look at instead. At least now I
    have a backup option.

    Cheers.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:74546CD8-D1B4-4D7B-B06A-25DEEF28987C@microsoft.com
    > > Cheers for the advice. Any good places to start this quest for
    > > knowledge??
    > >
    > > I would like to avoid putting unneccsary things onto my PC too, just
    > > wondered if there were any options within Windows or something that
    > > are not that obvious to a novice that could give the system a bit of
    > > extra pep?
    >
    > Go to the local bookstore and get the latest edition of WindowsXP Inside
    > Out.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    There are lots of good resources that a novice can use, so you'll hopefully
    get lots of good responses. Unfortunately, there are also lots of bad
    resources and you're not yet in a position to distinguish what is good from
    what is bad. In general, avoid any source of information that seems to have
    an 'attitude'. You want information, not bluster.

    Microsoft's web site is a good place to start. It can be intimidating,
    though, because there's so much information. Start here:

    "Windows XP Setup and Maintenance"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/default.mspx

    And don't miss this:

    "Protect Your PC"
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Of course, you'll be getting Microsoft's view of the world, which is not
    exactly terrible, but if you want some independent advice, you might start
    here:

    "PC Pitstop"
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/

    And you'll find lots of solid, authoritative advice from the venerable Fred
    Langa:

    "Langa.com - The LangaList Newsletter Home Page"
    http://www.langa.com/
    --
    Ted Zieglar


    "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:74546CD8-D1B4-4D7B-B06A-25DEEF28987C@microsoft.com...
    > Cheers for the advice. Any good places to start this quest for knowledge??
    >
    > I would like to avoid putting unneccsary things onto my PC too, just
    > wondered if there were any options within Windows or something that are
    not
    > that obvious to a novice that could give the system a bit of extra pep?
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > To get optimum performance: Read, read and read more. The more you learn
    > > about how hardware and software works, the better you'll know how to get
    the
    > > most from your computer. That's what works for me.
    > >
    > > Of course, that's not as glamorous an approach as installing the latest
    > > hyped up 'optimization' program or following misguided advice to hack
    into
    > > your computer. On the other hand, I haven't seen a BSOD on any of my
    > > computers since Windows 95. And both of the computers I currently own
    are
    > > problem-free and fas ast as the old Mustang CobraJet.
    > >
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > > "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:CE76B6F3-D4E2-4283-852C-DAA7C576DC86@microsoft.com...
    > > > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance?
    Are
    > > > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit
    better?
    > > >
    > > > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and
    when
    > > > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any
    > > > options
    > > > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
    > >
    > >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks again Ted. I'll try and look through some of these over the weekend
    and hopefully not get to bogged down in it all!

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > There are lots of good resources that a novice can use, so you'll hopefully
    > get lots of good responses. Unfortunately, there are also lots of bad
    > resources and you're not yet in a position to distinguish what is good from
    > what is bad. In general, avoid any source of information that seems to have
    > an 'attitude'. You want information, not bluster.
    >
    > Microsoft's web site is a good place to start. It can be intimidating,
    > though, because there's so much information. Start here:
    >
    > "Windows XP Setup and Maintenance"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/default.mspx
    >
    > And don't miss this:
    >
    > "Protect Your PC"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > Of course, you'll be getting Microsoft's view of the world, which is not
    > exactly terrible, but if you want some independent advice, you might start
    > here:
    >
    > "PC Pitstop"
    > http://www.pcpitstop.com/
    >
    > And you'll find lots of solid, authoritative advice from the venerable Fred
    > Langa:
    >
    > "Langa.com - The LangaList Newsletter Home Page"
    > http://www.langa.com/
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    >
    > "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:74546CD8-D1B4-4D7B-B06A-25DEEF28987C@microsoft.com...
    > > Cheers for the advice. Any good places to start this quest for knowledge??
    > >
    > > I would like to avoid putting unneccsary things onto my PC too, just
    > > wondered if there were any options within Windows or something that are
    > not
    > > that obvious to a novice that could give the system a bit of extra pep?
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > To get optimum performance: Read, read and read more. The more you learn
    > > > about how hardware and software works, the better you'll know how to get
    > the
    > > > most from your computer. That's what works for me.
    > > >
    > > > Of course, that's not as glamorous an approach as installing the latest
    > > > hyped up 'optimization' program or following misguided advice to hack
    > into
    > > > your computer. On the other hand, I haven't seen a BSOD on any of my
    > > > computers since Windows 95. And both of the computers I currently own
    > are
    > > > problem-free and fas ast as the old Mustang CobraJet.
    > > >
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > >
    > > > "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:CE76B6F3-D4E2-4283-852C-DAA7C576DC86@microsoft.com...
    > > > > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance?
    > Are
    > > > > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit
    > better?
    > > > >
    > > > > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and
    > when
    > > > > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any
    > > > > options
    > > > > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
    > > >
    > > >
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This helps.. go to the Performance settings in Control Panel and set XP to
    dump all of the eye candy.. is the first thing that I do..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user


    "cdb" <cdb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:CE76B6F3-D4E2-4283-852C-DAA7C576DC86@microsoft.com...
    > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance? Are
    > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit better?
    >
    > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and when
    > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any
    > options
    > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    cdb wrote:

    > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance? Are
    > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit better?
    >
    > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and when
    > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any options
    > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?

    Some of what you can do will depend on what your preferences are:

    1. Buy more RAM - 256 MB is usually ok, but if your app requires a lot
    of RAM, go with 512 or more.

    2. Buy a newer PC. Get a faster CPU, and a faster Front-side Bus. Also,
    a faster hard drive.

    3. If you want to give other apps more cpu time, go into task manager >
    processes > right-click the process that you want to get more cpu time
    and increase its priority.

    4. If you want the Windows Kernel to be loaded into RAM so the OS has
    quicker access to its functions, and you have at least 256 MB of RAM
    installed, backup the Registry and go into the Registry and go to

    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\Memory Management

    LargeSystemCache - Double click it and change the decimal value to 1.

    Reboot.

    5. If you want Windows to keep data in RAM rather than paging it to
    virtual memory, and you have at least 256 MB of RAM installed, backup
    the Registry, open the Registry and go to

    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\Memory Management

    DisablePagingExecutive - Double click it and in the decimal value field,
    put a 1.

    Reboot.

    Hope some of this helps.


    --
    The reader should exercise normal caution and backup the Registry and
    data files regularly, and especially before making any changes to their
    PC, as well as performing regular virus and spyware scans. I am not
    liable for problems or mishaps that occur from the reader using advice
    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I always respond to a lot of applause, myself.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    how do i get optium performance comp slowing down

    "cdb" wrote:

    > What can I do to my system to confirgure it for maximum performance? Are
    > there any handy tricks/tips that can be used to make it all a bit better?
    >
    > I'm currently using a seemingly very resource intensive program and when
    > that's running everything else slows to a snails pace. Is there any options
    > or setting etc that I can fiddle with to help?
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance Microsoft Windows XP