Ncharge

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
I am building a new computer with an A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, Athlon 2500+ Barton Chip. The problem that I am having is that I am using my old 80gig harddrive that I used with a MSI kt400 board. Well it goes to the menu screen asking for Windows xp or the other operating system but when I click Windows XP I get the blue screen of death saying the harddrive may not be configured correctly. Please help. Other components are Asus 7500 video card, and 2 256 ram running 266mhz in slots 1 and 3.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah... It sounds like you will have to format and install windows XP clean or maybe just re-install it?... do you have another drive for backup?

What's the other os? does it work?

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
I seem to recall, but I can't be certain, but if you upgrade to sp1 with the old board in and then try again with the new mobo you may have more success.

Check your cable. Is it an 80pin? Try turning off udma in bios. After windows xp sees the updated stuff and reboots try putting it back.

Ncharge

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Yes I was trying to go about it without doing a fresh install of Windows xp. Is it possible to partition maybe a 2 gig space on the harddrive reinstall Windows Xp and go about it that way without having to install everything back?