trouble with limited user accounts

I have noticed that I cannot hide inactive taskbar icons in my limited user
accounts, the option is there, and I have tried turning it on and off and
locking and unlocking the task bar etc. thinking that might get it working
but they all remain visible? And ideas? I have seen other post that suggested
the above but none has worked so far?

I also have notice that I sometimes cannot sign into a password protected
secure page in any limited account, (such as one might go to when paying on
a credit card account), other times it will work, without changeing any
settings! Security and privacy are both set to medium. The Admin account
always works and the internet settings appear to be the same on every
account? Any ideas- Is there something to control limited users internet
access I am not seeing?
2 answers Last reply
More about trouble limited user accounts

    Yea man limited users can only do so much adults use that to control what
    there children look at on the computer. I believe you would have to be a
    computer administrator to do the things you wanna ive tryed lookin for a way
    to control a limited acount but yet im still searching for the answer and
    when i find it will share it with you but intell then man just make all ur
    accounts computer administrator

    "Mike Gura" wrote:

    > I have noticed that I cannot hide inactive taskbar icons in my limited user
    > accounts, the option is there, and I have tried turning it on and off and
    > locking and unlocking the task bar etc. thinking that might get it working
    > but they all remain visible? And ideas? I have seen other post that suggested
    > the above but none has worked so far?
    >
    > I also have notice that I sometimes cannot sign into a password protected
    > secure page in any limited account, (such as one might go to when paying on
    > a credit card account), other times it will work, without changeing any
    > settings! Security and privacy are both set to medium. The Admin account
    > always works and the internet settings appear to be the same on every
    > account? Any ideas- Is there something to control limited users internet
    > access I am not seeing?

    Try the following as suggessted by Bruce Chambers in a similar post.

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed/coded.
    Quite simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't
    "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries
    to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to all
    current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the corresponding
    locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left with
    two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher access
    privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or replace
    the application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    For some obscure reason, game and children's software developers in
    particular seem to not understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and
    require even limited users to have unnecessarily high privileges to
    protected systems folders. For example, saved games are often stored in
    a sub-folder under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place
    where no inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: