Sign in with
Your question
Closed

COD 5: World At War - Lag In x64 Bit Vista!

Last response: in Video Games
January 3, 2009 2:57:41 AM

PC Specs:

CPU - Intel C2D E8400 3.0Ghz
GFX Card - 640mb Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS
Ram - 4gb DDR II
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium (x64)
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

I have just uninstalled XP & installed Vista Home Premium (x64).

When XP was installed, COD 5 ran like a dream. No lag/stuttering whatsoever, but now that Vista is installed I seem to be experiencing problems.

There is definitely some lag ingame now that I've installed Vista. You probably wouldn't even notice it if I made a recording, but knowing it's there and seeing it lag every so often is EXTREMELY annoying. I know for a FACT 100% that it wasn't there when XP was installed. Now I remember last time I installed Vista, a few months back, a game I was playing at the time (Guild Wars) which ran smooth as hell in XP became extremely unstable & I suffered lag/stuttering etc in Vista, therefore I reinstalled XP. The lag I'm experiencing is weird, it's more "jumpy" than "laggy", I can't really explain it, but it doesn't seem like the sort of lag you'd experience due to having insufficient hardware or something like that. It seems like the sort of lag you get from having an extremely high latency when playing online, although I'm even experiencing this in singleplayer, and for the most part my latency is below 100.

I don't particularly want to have to reinstall XP again, as the number one reason I purchased a 64 bit OS was for games, but if it's just gonna cause lag/stuttering then I feel I may have wasted my money.

I can't understand WHY exactly it'd run perfectly fine in XP but not in Vista 64 bit (which is supposedly better for gaming). I spoke to somebody and they said something like "32 bit games/programs run in an emulation mode on 64 bit Vista". Could this have anything to do with it? The annoying thing is, you guys probably have no idea how to help me and therefore I feel I'm probably wasting my time, but if I can get any help to sort this problem out, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
January 4, 2009 8:09:35 PM

Im having almost the same problem, only my 8400 is oc`ed to 3.6 and i have a 4870 512mb. Im getting 10-20 fps constant at 1680x1050. cant figure out why
January 27, 2009 4:11:39 PM

I recently built a new system for my friend, MSI p7n mobo, sata HD/CD, NVidia 9600gt etc.... I installed vista for the operating system. I come to find after close to a month of scouring the inet that WINDOWS INDEXER in vista runs all the time; when you play a game, watch a movie, etc. So I turned off the Indexer and voila no more graphics lag.

XP doesnt do indexing while high priority activities are going on, only Vista. My graphics lag was weird, it would play fine for 1 min(approx) then 5-10sec of lag, then 5-10sec no lag, and so on infinite. Hope this helps.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 29, 2009 7:52:49 AM

dirksequoia might actually have gotten it there.. try taking off indexing service.

I play COD5 on Vista Ultimate x64 with a Q6600 at 3.0GHz and it runs smoothly. (I took off Windows Indexing a while ago)

Also, check options in COD5. (For example, i have two 4850's in crossfire and I had to check "Multiple Graphics" or whatever and it ran even smoother)
January 29, 2009 9:06:54 AM

Yarr you only need Indexer active if you run a lot of searches. Which no one does! GG Bill -_-
January 29, 2009 3:59:52 PM

hmph, im on 64 bit with a gtx 280 and i never leave 90 fps in cod5.
January 30, 2009 2:08:05 PM

I recently installed COD 5 on Vista x64 over Steam. When it installed it apparently loaded direct x components, however once installation was complete I found the game would not run correctly. All this was fixed by installing the latest directx runtime library from here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directxdownload.ht...

Give it a try, it's an easy fix if it works. Good luck.
February 2, 2009 5:21:19 AM

CPU I7 920 2.8 OCed 5%
MB Asus P6T delux
Ram 12Gb
Graphics Card 4870X2 2GB Video Ram
OS Vista Ultimate 64

No Lag but I do get a annoying graphics problem that only happens when I see Ocean water Not in River or Swamp water just ocean
March 18, 2009 11:37:32 PM

I have read that some games do run faster on 32bit than 64bit. just like some games run better with different video cards. it has a lot to do with the architecture of the had were and how the program was written. my advice is to research your game and the benchmarks associated with it. then you will see what I'm talking about.

nothing is perfect.
March 22, 2009 6:59:49 PM

I have an 8800GTX, Q6600, 8 Gig DDR2, and running 64 bit Vista Ultimate and its fine. Stays around 90 all maxed (no AA) at 1680x1050.
March 23, 2009 3:20:54 PM

Do you have Vista SP1 installed?

Also there are plenty of guides available online if you search "vista gaming tweaks". On disabling un needed processes.

Ive read some recent reviewing and comparrisons between Vista Sp1 and xp sp3 in games, and since sp1 was released game fps has been on par or slightly better than XP in vista.
July 27, 2009 11:50:40 AM

I am having a similar issue and its becoming frustrating to say the least. I am running an E8500 CPU, ASUS P5QPro Mainboard, Gigabyte GTX295 with 8GB DDR2 XMS2 RAM Vista Home Premium SP2 and until recently was playing COD W@W fine everything maxed out until I installed the latest nVidia drivers (190.38 was running 185.85) now suddenly the game reacts like my old ATI4870 graphics card laggy (jumpy). I rolled back the drivers and this made no change, becnhmarking in 3DMark 06 does not provide the same problem neither does the problem replicate in other games such as Left 4 dead. Sorry couldnt help out but sorta just make more problems :( 
September 8, 2009 7:09:09 PM

WOW, 4870 is a great video card. In fact, I'm using the powercolor 4830. I get 50-60 fps in COD5 at 1080p resolution. I'm using a older triple core Phenon chip too. I have heard that COD5 runs faster on nvidia than ati. on a side note, I can overclock my 4830 and get 10 more fps. But either way an ati4870 video card should never be laggy or jumpy. There must be something wrong with your drivers or settings. I'm curious to know what you find out.
September 9, 2009 10:49:04 AM

Your right icyman a 4870 is a great card, found out my problem was a combination of faulty cache on my CPU (how random is that) and also a faulty 4870 (HIS, also random) and the nVidia drivers I quoted they are terrible rolled back to the earlier version and working a treat. I saw earlier someone else running a 4870 512MB version, I recommend you download the Fusion program offered by ATI and see how that helps it allows you to disable unecessary programs and services in the background while playing games and allows you to renable those later at the click of a mouse, also I suppose it wouldnt hurt to run a tool like Everest to check you other hardware like CPU. And if you have already solved your problem, thats awesome :) 
July 10, 2010 10:55:41 AM

Hi.im running windows 7 ,but have the same damb problems,lag(jump) heavly out of control online lag ranges from between 20-35 seconds hope that someone could help

my system

Q6600
5770 hd ati
4 gig kigston ram
p 45 neo motherboard
OS ---windows 7 64 bit

please help!!!
Anonymous
July 10, 2010 11:14:22 AM

Vanchatron said:
PC Specs:

CPU - Intel C2D E8400 3.0Ghz
GFX Card - 640mb Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS
Ram - 4gb DDR II
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium (x64)
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

I have just uninstalled XP & installed Vista Home Premium (x64).

When XP was installed, COD 5 ran like a dream. No lag/stuttering whatsoever, but now that Vista is installed I seem to be experiencing problems.

There is definitely some lag ingame now that I've installed Vista. You probably wouldn't even notice it if I made a recording, but knowing it's there and seeing it lag every so often is EXTREMELY annoying. I know for a FACT 100% that it wasn't there when XP was installed. Now I remember last time I installed Vista, a few months back, a game I was playing at the time (Guild Wars) which ran smooth as hell in XP became extremely unstable & I suffered lag/stuttering etc in Vista, therefore I reinstalled XP. The lag I'm experiencing is weird, it's more "jumpy" than "laggy", I can't really explain it, but it doesn't seem like the sort of lag you'd experience due to having insufficient hardware or something like that. It seems like the sort of lag you get from having an extremely high latency when playing online, although I'm even experiencing this in singleplayer, and for the most part my latency is below 100.

I don't particularly want to have to reinstall XP again, as the number one reason I purchased a 64 bit OS was for games, but if it's just gonna cause lag/stuttering then I feel I may have wasted my money.

I can't understand WHY exactly it'd run perfectly fine in XP but not in Vista 64 bit (which is supposedly better for gaming). I spoke to somebody and they said something like "32 bit games/programs run in an emulation mode on 64 bit Vista". Could this have anything to do with it? The annoying thing is, you guys probably have no idea how to help me and therefore I feel I'm probably wasting my time, but if I can get any help to sort this problem out, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hmmm, the most common issue of Vista lagging like hell, is its SuperFetch Service (a big issue!) and Indexing Service (not an issue).

So. Goto start -> Run type in msconfig hit enter
Goto services tab, and there uncheck SuperFetch service and then Indexing Service. it would bring your pc back to normal :D  Good luck:) 

If this doesnt helps, then do reply to this. also check if some any other process is utilizing your system resources or not.
July 10, 2010 10:09:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!