Not to Violent, Graphics Inensive Game

bmlevey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
My dad has problems with shooting games and the like. I bought a new gaming rig that can handle anything I throw at it. (Specs are at end.) I know that almost all new graphics intensive games are the kind I can't have, so could you please point me towards something that looks shiny and is allowed? Thanks.

CPU: e8500 at 4.2

GPU: GTX 260 (can be OC'd if neccesary.) (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127361&Tpk=GTX%20260)

Monitor: KDS LCD 22" 5MS response uhhh....1000:1 contrast...1680*1050...link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155053

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
The new prince of persia game is good, its "violent" however there is little (if any) blood/gore in it.

Race Driver: Grid is an awesome racing game and its great looking.

I haven't played MotoGP08 yet, but it looks good too.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Ooooh, interesting dilemma. Now that you mention it, there really are a ton of games out there that are M-rated, and I guess I'm just kind of de-sensitized. So I guess here's what I came up with:

Mass Effect is a great RPG with shooting elements. I know it's rated M, but the whole time I played it I wondered why on earth, because there are like 3 mildly gory parts in the whole game, and the rest of the shooting is practically bloodless. Graphics are good.

Titan Quest, in my opinion, was an amazing Action RPG, and has absolutely no blood in it at all. Also, despite being like 2-3 years old, I still think the graphics are some of the prettiest I've seen in a game.

Oblivion is another good one that, while rated M, is still very tame. It does have some blood in it, though. Would look great on your system.

World in Conflict is supposed to be a really good RTS and I THINK it's rated T...I played the demo and if i remember correctly it had no blood in it, and your card should be able to pump out at least a decent frame rate. Very pretty.

I don't know much about racing games because I never play them, but like ovaltineplease, I've heard lots of good things about Grid, and I'm working on the new PoP now and it can be a good time and has no blood in it at all.

If I think of any others I'll come back and respond to the thread, because it reminds me of when I had those restrictions. I had to beg and plead for my dad to let me get Perfect Dark when it came out on the N64, and only if I promised to turn the blood off, lol.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Another vote for Grid, it looks fantastic. There's a demo for it too so you can try before you buy. Get a controller though, it's no good with the keyboard.

You make a good point though, almost all big games seem to be about killing things, I remember when there were a ton of adventure games (you know the Sierra point n click jobbies), why didn't they make the transition to f.p 3d?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Aint that the truth. +1's to Titan Quest (get Immortal Throne), and Fallout 3.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Portal - It's a good looking game but won't tax your setup that much.

X3 Terrain Conflict has combat in it but the game is built around space trading (if your old enough to have play Elite back in the day you will enjoy this game) and this game will give your system a run for it's money.

Psychonauts is a fantastic game, good looking game, older then my previous suggestions but you won't regret buying it.

Audiosurf - Lovely looking game, combine it with your MP3 collection for a some high octane fun.

bmlevey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Ha-Thanks for all of the replies. Grid I will definitely get, got great reviews too. Titan Quest I will look into. Audio surf seems really cool also. Thanks for everything, and please keep the recommendations coming!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Theres a gore settin aint there? Well stay away from it then, ive been wrong before. I was 13 and it was something to do with woodwork.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Mass Effect is a great RPG with shooting elements. I know it's rated M, but the whole time I played it I wondered why on earth, because there are like 3 mildly gory parts in the whole game, and the rest of the shooting is practically bloodless. Graphics are good.

its the sex scene you can have, and you can be straight, gay or lesbian.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Yeah, okay, true...but even the sex scene is just suggestive and doesn't really show anything. I mean, heck...there's racier AND more revealing stuff on cable TV nowadays, so I don't think it should necessarily warrant the "M" rating. Or if it does, at least some of the really mature games out there like the GTA series, Fallout 3, or God of War games should get something a little higher, you know?

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Crysis is of course a shooter, but it actually has a lot of the graphical core and what not very toned down. Since Crytek is based in Germany they have very strict standards on what can and cannot be in a game. Kind of sucks if you like rag doll corpses, blown off limbs and heads and lots of blood.

phat-phreddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

There is no gay option. Just straight or lesbian.