Went to Tools/Internet Options/General Tab and have home page of choice
enabled. When Start/Programs/Internet Explorer is clicked I get the MS Update
Page. No matter what I set for home page the Internet Explorer link always
brings up the MS Update Site. What am I missing or not doing correctly?
Appreciate any help.

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Control panel / INTERNET OPTION ICON

Now Set your Home PAGE

Larmil 5639 wrote:

> Went to Tools/Internet Options/General Tab and have home page of choice
> enabled. When Start/Programs/Internet Explorer is clicked I get the MS Update
> Page. No matter what I set for home page the Internet Explorer link always
> brings up the MS Update Site. What am I missing or not doing correctly?
> Appreciate any help.

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Are you sure you Are Not Clicking on WINDOWS UPDATE

Try Start /programs / INTERNET EXPLORER

Larmil 5639 wrote:

> Went to Tools/Internet Options/General Tab and have home page of choice
> enabled. When Start/Programs/Internet Explorer is clicked I get the MS Update
> Page. No matter what I set for home page the Internet Explorer link always
> brings up the MS Update Site. What am I missing or not doing correctly?
> Appreciate any help.

Yes. No matter what path I try the MS Update Page/Site shows up. I have tried
several sites for home page under Tools,Internet Opetions, General Tab. No
matter what I enter and Apply, the MS Update continues to load. Went to all
possible IE links that I could find. Same result. Thanks for you suggestions
and inquiry.

"Santa" wrote:

> Are you sure you Are Not Clicking on WINDOWS UPDATE
>

> Try Start /programs / INTERNET EXPLORER
>

> Larmil 5639 wrote:
>
> > Went to Tools/Internet Options/General Tab and have home page of choice
> > enabled. When Start/Programs/Internet Explorer is clicked I get the MS Update
> > Page. No matter what I set for home page the Internet Explorer link always
> > brings up the MS Update Site. What am I missing or not doing correctly?
> > Appreciate any help.

Added: Now when I enter a different home page under the IE Options etc and do
the Apply the previous page is listed after I close and bring it up again. I
am using myyahoo.com as home and not matter what I enter in that home page
block and use Apply when I return the myyahoo.com is there. Went to IE
through Program Files but the same result. Alway the MS Update page/site
appears.

"Larmil 5639" wrote:

> Yes. No matter what path I try the MS Update Page/Site shows up. I have tried
> several sites for home page under Tools,Internet Opetions, General Tab. No
> matter what I enter and Apply, the MS Update continues to load. Went to all
> possible IE links that I could find. Same result. Thanks for you suggestions
> and inquiry.
>
> "Santa" wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you Are Not Clicking on WINDOWS UPDATE
> >

> > Try Start /programs / INTERNET EXPLORER
> >

> > Larmil 5639 wrote:
> >
> > > Went to Tools/Internet Options/General Tab and have home page of choice
> > > enabled. When Start/Programs/Internet Explorer is clicked I get the MS Update
> > > Page. No matter what I set for home page the Internet Explorer link always
> > > brings up the MS Update Site. What am I missing or not doing correctly?
> > > Appreciate any help.

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

right click on INTERNET EXPLORER and Choose Properties and make sure the
TARGET BOX reads "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

and NOT %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe
wupdmgr.exe is the update program

Larmil 5639 wrote:

> Added: Now when I enter a different home page under the IE Options etc and do
> the Apply the previous page is listed after I close and bring it up again. I
> am using myyahoo.com as home and not matter what I enter in that home page
> block and use Apply when I return the myyahoo.com is there. Went to IE
> through Program Files but the same result. Alway the MS Update page/site
> appears.
>
> "Larmil 5639" wrote:
>

>>Yes. No matter what path I try the MS Update Page/Site shows up. I have tried
>>several sites for home page under Tools,Internet Opetions, General Tab. No
>>matter what I enter and Apply, the MS Update continues to load. Went to all
>>possible IE links that I could find. Same result. Thanks for you suggestions
>>and inquiry.
>>
>>"Santa" wrote:
>>

>>>Are you sure you Are Not Clicking on WINDOWS UPDATE
>>>

>>>Try Start /programs / INTERNET EXPLORER

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Santa wrote:

> right click on INTERNET EXPLORER and Choose Properties and make sure the
> TARGET BOX reads "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

( The Quotes Belong there ,, I pasted that info HERE )

> and NOT %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe
> wupdmgr.exe is the update program
>

> Larmil 5639 wrote:
>
>> Added: Now when I enter a different home page under the IE Options etc
>> and do the Apply the previous page is listed after I close and bring
>> it up again. I am using myyahoo.com as home and not matter what I
>> enter in that home page block and use Apply when I return the
>> myyahoo.com is there. Went to IE through Program Files but the same
>> result. Alway the MS Update page/site appears.
>>
>> "Larmil 5639" wrote:
>>

>>> Yes. No matter what path I try the MS Update Page/Site shows up. I
>>> have tried several sites for home page under Tools,Internet Opetions,
>>> General Tab. No matter what I enter and Apply, the MS Update
>>> continues to load. Went to all possible IE links that I could find.
>>> Same result. Thanks for you suggestions and inquiry.

Did that. Target Box reads "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Larmil 5639 wrote:

> Did that. Target Box reads "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

No Quote after EXE ?
souds like you have been hijacked..

are you using YAHOO TOOLBAR ???

> "Santa" wrote:
>

>>Santa wrote:
>>

>>>right click on INTERNET EXPLORER and Choose Properties and make sure the
>>>TARGET BOX reads "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
>>
>>( The Quotes Belong there ,, I pasted that info HERE )
>>

>>>and NOT %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe
>>>wupdmgr.exe is the update program

Sorry. The quote is there. Quote starts "C and ends exe"

"Santa" wrote:

> Larmil 5639 wrote:
>
> > Did that. Target Box reads "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> No Quote after EXE ?
> souds like you have been hijacked..
>
> are you using YAHOO TOOLBAR ???

> >>( The Quotes Belong there ,, I pasted that info HERE )

Is your computer Slow when running .If yes you might want to check for
Spywares .
Goto Sunbeltscan.com and there is a online scan for spywares . Do the onlint
scan and then if any spywares are found download the trial version and fix it.

- JK

Not slow. In fact good speed - quick loads on programs and email. Did Adaware
and Spybot scans plus Kaspersky AV scan. Negative on all. That Microsoft
Udate Page site appears when any IE is used. And changes to home page setting
under General Tab, home page address will not enable. It is frooze on
'my.yahoo.com". Will try sunbelt scan. Thanks.

"-JK" wrote:

> Is your computer Slow when running .If yes you might want to check for
> Spywares .
> Goto Sunbeltscan.com and there is a online scan for spywares . Do the onlint
> scan and then if any spywares are found download the trial version and fix it.
>
> - JK

Did the Counter Spy scan. Showed one cookie - net passport type - which was
removed. Nothing changed. Still like default on MS Udate page when any IE
link is clicked and the freeze on home page setting under Tools etc remains.
Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

"-JK" wrote:

> Is your computer Slow when running .If yes you might want to check for
> Spywares .
> Goto Sunbeltscan.com and there is a online scan for spywares . Do the onlint
> scan and then if any spywares are found download the trial version and fix it.
>
> - JK

U might want to try this Microsoft article. It asks you to edit the registry.
Be careful when you do this..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159

"Larmil 5639" wrote:

> Did the Counter Spy scan. Showed one cookie - net passport type - which was
> removed. Nothing changed. Still like default on MS Udate page when any IE
> link is clicked and the freeze on home page setting under Tools etc remains.
> Appreciate your comments and suggestions.
>
> "-JK" wrote:
>
> > Is your computer Slow when running .If yes you might want to check for
> > Spywares .
> > Goto Sunbeltscan.com and there is a online scan for spywares . Do the onlint
> > scan and then if any spywares are found download the trial version and fix it.
> >
> > - JK

Went to the MS article. Followed registry edit instructions to open the keys.
However did not try to alter. Do not fully understand the terminology.
However, the Default_Page_URL and Start Page were not shown under
"HKEY__CURRENT__USERS\ ..." and in all others LOCALS and USERS the Start Page
is Dell.com and the Default__Page__URL is yahoo.sbc.com/dsl. I am going to
contact computer repair business and see what they might suggest, do and
charge. Thanks for your time and efforts. Larmil.

"-JK" wrote:

> U might want to try this Microsoft article. It asks you to edit the registry.
> Be careful when you do this..
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159
>

> "Larmil 5639" wrote:
>
> > Did the Counter Spy scan. Showed one cookie - net passport type - which was
> > removed. Nothing changed. Still like default on MS Udate page when any IE
> > link is clicked and the freeze on home page setting under Tools etc remains.
> > Appreciate your comments and suggestions.
> >
> > "-JK" wrote:
> >
> > > Is your computer Slow when running .If yes you might want to check for
> > > Spywares .
> > > Goto Sunbeltscan.com and there is a online scan for spywares . Do the onlint
> > > scan and then if any spywares are found download the trial version and fix it.
> > >
> > > - JK

Problem solved. Changed some default setting for home page and search engine
in the AdAware settings and it cured the default to MS Update Site. Thank
you for comments and suggestions. Very good of you.

"Larmil 5639" wrote:

> Went to the MS article. Followed registry edit instructions to open the keys.
> However did not try to alter. Do not fully understand the terminology.
> However, the Default_Page_URL and Start Page were not shown under
> "HKEY__CURRENT__USERS\ ..." and in all others LOCALS and USERS the Start Page
> is Dell.com and the Default__Page__URL is yahoo.sbc.com/dsl. I am going to
> contact computer repair business and see what they might suggest, do and
> charge. Thanks for your time and efforts. Larmil.
>
> "-JK" wrote:
>
> > U might want to try this Microsoft article. It asks you to edit the registry.
> > Be careful when you do this..
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159
> >

> > "Larmil 5639" wrote:
> >
> > > Did the Counter Spy scan. Showed one cookie - net passport type - which was
> > > removed. Nothing changed. Still like default on MS Udate page when any IE
> > > link is clicked and the freeze on home page setting under Tools etc remains.
> > > Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Sorry for butting in.
But very good of you to report back. Because of your reporting we came to
know that problem was in AdAware settings and not anywhere else. Learned
something which may come in handy in future for someone else. Just out of
curiosity would like to know did you find the solution yourself tinkering or
somebody told you to look at AdAware settings.
Thanx.