Rounded ATA cable connections

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Hey All!

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to tell which is pin one on a rounded ata 133 cable and a roundy floppy cable? I just picked these items up and there are no distinguishing marks on them to tell their orientation.

What will happen if they are connected backwards? Is there any consequences?

Also, has anyone ever had any bad experiences using these rounded cables, or is it all good?

Thanks,

Rob

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
it just wont work if it is plugged in backwards, no harm done. If you can, pull back a little of the covering and look for the red wire, which is number 1.

I would just plug it in and see if it works, if not, turn it around

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Properly done, the cables and drive connectors should be keyed... look for a bump on the middle of one side of the cable connector and a slot on the drive's connector... bump into slot... right way around everytime.

It is rare that plugging a cable in backwards does any real damage. The drive won't spin up, the light may stay on, but most times, no harm done.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
thanks for all your posts guys.

So has anyone ever had any problems using these cables liek instability or crashes or anything?

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
nope, they are just normal cables inside a rubber/plastic shroud. Nothing is fundamentally different.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Here's how dumb I am. I spent $12.00 each for the coolermaster round cables at newegg.com. Why? Because they look purdy.

When you have windwos on both sides and the top of your case, these things start to matter to you all of a sudden! :)

And no, you shouldn't have any problems with them.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Even though I know how they are built, I bought one because making it look as pretty is pretty darn hard. I could probably do it with Plasti-Cote or something, but it would be too much work for my lazy ass. :p

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Get some coloured vinyl tape at Walmart... shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to wrap a cable.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
hahaha! I actually did that with my power cables once! It works too, I didn't think about that. :D

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Just be carefull with these rounded cables.. with ribbon calbe each tiny strand of braided wire is supporded to each side by adjascent strands so it helps prevent kinks and disconections in the line. This is not present with rounded cables as each wire is strung individually. you need to be more carefull else you may tear a connection

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!