Using F.A.S.T to Xfer files from winME to WinXP home SP2 v..

Been beating myself over the head all afternoon ... can't get my old Win ME
laptop and Win XP desktop to connect via crossover cable. Am I missing
something? Also, have no floppy drive on XP machine ..so how do I create a
F.A.S.T wizard disc to put on my old PC??? When tried to connect, XP machine
was trying to dial out...

Easiest, and fastest methods preffered, need to re-do and print out business
cards, which are on old computer!!

Thanks!!
JP

File & Settings Transfer Wizard
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9AA4D01C-9D4D-45F2-B979-6453A1BA785A@microsoft.com,
arachniac <arachniac@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Been beating myself over the head all afternoon ... can't get my old
> Win ME laptop and Win XP desktop to connect via crossover cable. Am
> I missing something? Also, have no floppy drive on XP machine ..so
> how do I create a F.A.S.T wizard disc to put on my old PC??? When
> tried to connect, XP machine was trying to dial out...
>
> Easiest, and fastest methods preffered, need to re-do and print out
> business cards, which are on old computer!!
>
> Thanks!!
> JP

Wesley,
In re-reading that link ( read it many times today ....) it lacks hints on
lots of issues, like ... you can't select a "crossover cable" as a direct
connect cable, only serial or Parallel. I have no floppy drive ...so how can
I create a wizard disc? (only drive choices it gives me are media reader
drives - I do have a 128 mb Sony Memory Stick if that'll work - not even a
CD-R drive...how outdated!)

Also, while on the subject .... I gave up on this beast for a while and
tried to get my Win XP machine to use printer attached to other networked
computer, recognizes printer, driver is updated for win XP mach, but I always
get the "StartDocPrinter call was not issued" ... no matter what I try to
print (including a notepad file) I'm trying to print to a Lexmark X6150 ....
in case you have any thoughts on that, as well!

Thanks,
Jp

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> File & Settings Transfer Wizard
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:9AA4D01C-9D4D-45F2-B979-6453A1BA785A@microsoft.com,
> arachniac <arachniac@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Been beating myself over the head all afternoon ... can't get my old
> > Win ME laptop and Win XP desktop to connect via crossover cable. Am
> > I missing something? Also, have no floppy drive on XP machine ..so
> > how do I create a F.A.S.T wizard disc to put on my old PC??? When
> > tried to connect, XP machine was trying to dial out...
> >
> > Easiest, and fastest methods preffered, need to re-do and print out
> > business cards, which are on old computer!!
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > JP

Crossover cables are network. And XP does not care if it's a crossover or is through a hub - in fact it can't tell. You treat it like any oher network connection. Direct cable is different.

http://www.uscricket.com