Low Frames in TF2 & Source

Yuralz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I recently got some source games for my new PC, only to find out that what I thought was an awesome PC slows nearly to a halt in any outdoor areas, 4+ player close quarter combat, or whenever a Pyro gets in my face.

--Specs--
Intel E8500 Core2Duo @ 3.16GHZ
4GB RAM
GeForce 9800GTX
Corsair TX750W PSU
500 GB HDD
Latest drivers and DirectX

Even at recommended settings, this game is virtually unplayable whenever I actually need to shoot at someone (aka play the game). I even set every graphic option to lowest possible, turned off things like HDR and motion blur, and am playing at 1024x768. Any help would be welcome.

Note : Evidence of said specs : http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/bonus/t/analysis2.tmpl?registration_option_id=5503

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I have a simnilar problem. TF2 runs good until there is a lot of people ons creen at once and firing, than it gets choppy at about 20 fps. I run it on high with anti aliasing though. I get about 9000 in 3dmark 06.

Yuralz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

My settings are all lowest, and I'm not going to go -dxlevel 81. Why? Because theres something wrong if a rig like that has to play on DirectX8. I came here for a solution to what is obviously a problem, not have people tell me to turn down settings on an rig thats more than enough for TF2 @ max settings.

Link to DL please. I tried googling and some "RegistryHelper" link kept popping up in place of 3DMark06.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
reinstall drivers, reinstall windows, reinstall games, etc. If not:
got any old/ friend's parts you can swap out to test whether any particular thing is faulty? For instance take your graphics and PSU and put it in a friend's computer to see if that gets an appropriate framerate?

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You can download 3dmark06 from the official site

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

Run it at default, then post the results here.

Your rig should, and will, be fine. Similar specs to me apart from gfx (mine is 4870), and I can max out everything, as you say.

Once you have given us your 3dMark results we can start diagnosing the problem for you.

Yuralz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
reinstall drivers, reinstall windows, reinstall games, etc. If not:
got any old/ friend's parts you can swap out to test whether any particular thing is faulty? For instance take your graphics and PSU and put it in a friend's computer to see if that gets an appropriate framerate?

My only other computer is some crap prebuilt Intel machine from 2005. I actually tired to upgrade it once but the case was so small I couldn't get any 500+W PSU in there. It also lacks the PCI-E slot I think, so I doubt I can swap out my parts. I want to save reinstalling windows as a last resort if no one on here has a solution, and reinstalling drivers/games has made no difference.

You can download 3dmark06 from the official site

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmar [...] /download/

Run it at default, then post the results here.

Your rig should, and will, be fine. Similar specs to me apart from gfx (mine is 4870), and I can max out everything, as you say.

Once you have given us your 3dMark results we can start diagnosing the problem for you.

Thanks for link, DLing atm.

Yuralz

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Ok well, I got 3DMark06, but whenever I clicked on "View your results online" it keeps saying submission failed. Then I clicked save as but I can't even open the document, its some weird extension .3dr Help?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

uuuh admittedly a long shot, but you dont have some nasty spyware hogging resources and re-directing your google traffic do you?
My cousin was looking at some manga over the weekend and one of the pics must have contained a w32.agent variant so i had some fun getting rid of that!
You can get a PSU in the old one, just use a hacksaw :D

Diddly

Distinguished
With your specs you should be fine, I've never had probs with TF2. Yes you will get some slow down - Press the TAB key to see the scores, but check all the other players PINGS. If any are >100 then that will cause slow downs for everyone else on the server. Find a quiet/empty server and try again to see if you still get crap FPS. Let us know if this helps.

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yuralz, don't worry about submitting the results.

Just post the 3DMark06 score it gave you, the cpu score and the gpu score. That's all we need for now.

Cheers

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I don't see much slowdown when I play TF2 with my Athlon X2 and 9600GSO on 1680x1050.

Diddly

Distinguished
Just to clarify I don't necessarily mean a frame rate drop, it's the rate at which the game updates is affected by the latency caused by other players pings. I've noticed horrendous game play if there's some player(s) with high pings in the ~200ms. This in inherent to other online games like HL2DM.

As for the slowdowns, Yuralz can you post screenshots from GPU-Z and CPU-Z please?