looking for hi gain antenna & signal amp

I am looking for better recption for my wireless network. I am looking like
a 12 to 15 db gain outdoor antenn & a 1w to 2w signal amp where can I get
them kinda cheap and which ones would you reccommond. If I get this setup
and put the antenna like 30ft to 40ft high how much range would I get from
this antenna not trying to steal internet just wondering, Right now I am
runnin a Belkin wireless router smc wireless ethernet card & a hawking tech
6db gain antenna about 50ft to 60ft away for router just to let you know.
7 answers Last reply
More about looking gain antenna signal

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:04:57 GMT, "DJboutit" <Recordking@Hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I am looking for better recption for my wireless network. I am looking like
    >a 12 to 15 db gain outdoor antenn & a 1w to 2w signal amp where can I get
    >them kinda cheap and which ones would you reccommond. If I get this setup
    >and put the antenna like 30ft to 40ft high how much range would I get from
    >this antenna not trying to steal internet just wondering, Right now I am
    >runnin a Belkin wireless router smc wireless ethernet card & a hawking tech
    >6db gain antenna about 50ft to 60ft away for router just to let you know.

    Perhaps you might want to review FCC 15.247 before you purchase
    something that belches too much power.
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1428941
    The official limit is 1 watt (+30dBm) transmit power into an 6dBi omni
    antenna. If you select an antenna with more than 6dBi of gain, you
    need to reduce the transmit power by the same amount. For example, a
    15dBi antenna will require a power reduction of:
    15dBi - 6dbi = 9dB
    which translates into:
    +30dBm - 9dB = +21dBm (about 130 milliwatts)

    If you're building a point to point link, the rules are somewhat
    different and more complex.
    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=eq1qh0p31726fm0je7jldmn30qms2n312e%404ax.com

    If you're buying amplfiers, I suggest:
    http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/amplifiers_2400.php
    Be sure to get a power amp with automatic gain or power control or you
    will find yourself with a fixed drive level.

    The increase in range is difficult to estimate as I don't know what
    you're comparing with the 30-40ft antenna. If you're comparing it
    with an indoor installation, of course it will work better.

    If you're comparing a given setup, at a given altitude, at a given
    location, with a given radio, ad nausium, and only changing the power
    level and the antenna gain, then the approximate rule-of-thumb is +6dB
    gain in either the power amp or the antenna gain is the same as double
    your range. This is in keeping with inverse square law, which
    proclaims that if you double the distance, you need 4 times the power.
    If you're interested in coverage area instead of range, then +3dB will
    give your double your coverage area (and 1.4 times the range).

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    DJboutit wrote:

    > I am looking for better recption for my wireless network. I am looking like
    > a 12 to 15 db gain outdoor antenn & a 1w to 2w signal amp where can I get
    > them kinda cheap and which ones would you reccommond. If I get this setup
    > and put the antenna like 30ft to 40ft high how much range would I get from
    > this antenna not trying to steal internet just wondering, Right now I am
    > runnin a Belkin wireless router smc wireless ethernet card & a hawking tech
    > 6db gain antenna about 50ft to 60ft away for router just to let you know.

    You seem to be posting from SWBell's DSL service, which means most
    likely a 2 watt amp would be illegal. Anyway, with a the antenna at 40
    ft, a 1 watt amp and a 12dbi sector antenna, you should be able to reach
    just about as far as you can see (assuming interference isn't a real
    issue). An omni antenna at that high of a gain rating would be
    problematic, not recommended. In fact, if you have a decent access point
    or wireless router, I wouldn't recommend an amp either. For hardware,
    have a look at:

    www.fab-corp.com

    I am just looking to really improve my recption @ my computer & not improve
    the range of the wireless router. I still am looking for 12 to 15 db gain
    antenna & a 1 to 2 watt antenna booster.

    DJboutit wrote:

    > I am just looking to really improve my recption @ my computer & not improve
    > the range of the wireless router. I still am looking for 12 to 15 db gain
    > antenna & a 1 to 2 watt antenna booster.

    You don't want to extend your range but you ask: "If I get this setup
    and put the antenna like 30ft to 40ft high how much range would I get
    from this antenna" - Sorry if I seem confused, but this is confusing.

    Where did you pull the 12 to 15 db gain number from? AND throw in a 1 or
    2 watt amp? Have you calculated this using any system that anyone would
    recognize? If you intend to simply overpower your link you won't see a
    miraculous increase in speed. Problems maybe, not speed.

    Either way, the fab-corp link still has antennas and amps. eBay may also
    list the products you require.

    DJboutit <Recordking@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I am just looking to really improve my recption @ my computer & not improve
    > the range of the wireless router. I still am looking for 12 to 15 db gain
    > antenna & a 1 to 2 watt antenna booster.

    How did you come to the conlusion that those are good numbers?
    If you want to improve the reception 50 feet away, 12 to 15db of gain would
    be far more than you need.

    Some of the very helpful people in this group are very good at solving
    problems, but you are providing a solution and asking what was solved.

    --
    ---

    I am really just looking to do some WIFI DXing with a 12 to 15 db gain
    antenna 30ft to 40ft high. With a signal booster and some decent coax cable.

    DJboutit wrote:

    > I am really just looking to do some WIFI DXing with a 12 to 15 db gain
    > antenna 30ft to 40ft high. With a signal booster and some decent coax cable.

    http://www.demarctech.com/products/reliawave-rwo/rwo-cpe-15a.htm

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking