Can I use win 7 'upgrade'

voltaic1008

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
High guys, I'm performing a series of upgrades on my new system. I'll be changing the psu, mobo, gpu, cpu, and ram. The thing is, I want to know if I can reuse my copy of windows 7 designed for an upgrade to vista with a fresh install. I have used windows 7 and it is on the hard drive currently....

Thanks

voltaic1008

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

it was a retail copy of 7

Yes, you can. Just so long as that copy is used on only one PC. Upgrade is considered as retail, entitling you to ms support and to transfer the license freely. You may have to activate via the phone since so much has changed that ms will know that it is on a different pc.
There is a legitimate two step instalation process to clean install an upgrade version
You install windows-7 from the dvd, but do not initially enter the product code or activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional OS for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the dvd again, while running Windows and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.

The copy on the hard drive will probably not work if you have changed the motherboard chipset type.