Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Ultimate - 3 Computers

Last response: in Windows 7
September 29, 2009 1:42:07 AM

I would like to install Win 7 Ultimate on my 3 home machines.

Do I need to purchase 3 separate copies of the program , one for each computer?

Are there any other options?

I currently have an OEM version of XP and I am able to install it in all 3 computers without needing a serial number.

TIA!
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2009 1:58:05 AM

You need 3 licences.
September 29, 2009 2:09:47 AM

Get the family pack.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2009 3:49:19 AM

i wouldn't recommend Ultimate, i think home premium would be fine for most home users

the only reason i will be using Professional is that is what i get from my school for free (Computer Science major), normally i would have gone for home premium
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2009 5:29:28 AM

Yes, you do. If you don't need a serial number to install XP, then you must have 3 computers all from the same manufacturer. To upgrade them all to Windows 7, you must purchase 3 licenses... one for each. The reason you're able to get away with one copy of XP is because each computer already has a license for it and since they're likely from the same manufacturer, the same OEM CD works for all of them without asking for a product key.
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2009 2:37:46 PM

I'd also recommend against Ultimate - I don't think anyone would need all those features.

I do believe you'll need 3 licenses, but a family pack might be right for you.

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 29, 2009 3:45:10 PM

Regardless of whether you go Ultimate, or with the Home Premium family pack as others have suggested, you will need 3 licenses (the family pack is essentially 3 serials in one package). If there is a feature in Ultimate that you must have, then go for it. Otherwise, save yourself some cash and get a lower SKU.
!