HP 5000 D640 Printer Drivers for XP or Windows2000?

Charles

I have a HP 5000 D640 Laser Printer (black/white). I've been using it
on XP with a Windows 98 driver and I get artifacts and bad prints from
different files.

What are other people out there using on XP as a driver for this
machine?

-charles

On 4 Aug 2004 10:31:42 -0700, Charles <spam@loveofcolor.org> wrote:
> I have a HP 5000 D640 Laser Printer (black/white). I've been using it
> on XP with a Windows 98 driver and I get artifacts and bad prints from
> different files.
>
> What are other people out there using on XP as a driver for this
> machine?

Have you tried using one of the native XP drivers? Mine lists:
HP Laserjet 5000 series PCL
HP Laserjet 5000 series PCL6
HP Laserjet 5000 series PS

See if the PS driver works any better than a PCL driver. We had trouble
printing Acrobat files (missing text, or backgrounds) from XP on our
2200DTN using its PCL driver, but the PS driver worked fine for the same
Acrobat files. Yet, DOS WordPerfect 5.1 set as a Laserjet III works fine
and our HP3000 has no trouble doing PCL to it (remotely through VPN).

As a general rule, PostScript printers handle Adobe Acrobat PDFs the best. This
make sense. Adobe owns both the PostScript and Acrobat formats, so the left
hand knows what the right hand is doing.

I, too, encountered difficulties printing PDFs on PCL printers. Adobe's web
site has several workarounds designed to get PDFs to print properly on most any
printer. The most useful workaround is to check the "Print as image" checkbox
in the modified Print dialog box used by Acrobat. This causes the Acrobat
reader to rasterize page images before handing them to the printer driver. In
other words, Acrobat generates the page image itself as a bit map, leaving no
room for faulty interpretation by the printer driver. To use this option may
require adding memory to a LaserJet or similar laser printer. The common
symptom of a printer needing more memory is premature ejection of pages, i.e. a
partially printed page followed by the second part of the same page image on
another sheet of paper... Ben